Flywheel Weight for a '05 YZ450F

1 reply to this topic
  • trubes

Posted January 12, 2008 - 08:15 AM

Has anyone added a Steahly flywheel weight to their 05 450? They show 4 different weights. 16,13,10, & 7oz. I am thinking about getting the 10oz. Let me know what your experiences are. I race in the expert class in District 37 and MRAN desert series. Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2008 - 09:05 AM

I haven't used bolt-on weights because I believe the welded ring weighted flywheels are a better approach. For one, you never have to concern yourself with them coming loose, and they are balanced when they are modified. For another, the welded types add more inertia mass per ounce of added weight because all of the added weight is out at the edge of the flywheel. Some of the mass of a bolt-on is in the central mounting flange, where it adds very little inertia.

I had a DRD 8 oz ounce on my '03 (their largest weight), and I said many times that the bike should have been built with that flywheel. It would have been about equal to a 10-12 ounce bolt-on weight, for comparison. The effect on the engine's ability to accelerate was unnoticeable; the engine felt just as snappy and responsive as before, and the bike was not one bit slower. What was noticeable was that it had much less tendency to rip the rear tire out of the ground as soon as I touched the throttle, and I could find traction on loose ground under acceleration much more easily, and with far less conscious concern over managing the throttle.

I'm currently running a GYT-R 9 ounce off-road flywheel on my '06, and the biggest difference I notice on that bike is that when I'm picking through tight spots at the bottom of a ravine, the engine pulls much more smoothly at low speeds under a load, without so much of the harsh thrashing and slapping against its own compression as with the stocker. Much more like an old school thumper.

There is no loss of acceleration or power in either case. The effect is somewhat like raising the gearing a notch or two, but without changing the rpm/speed relationship.

I won't knock Steahly weights. They are a good product used by many people very successfully. I just made a different choice, that's all.

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.