Aluminium fuel tank

23 replies to this topic
  • 5valve

Posted January 12, 2008 - 03:52 AM

I'm onto this now.
Any info on manufacturers, shops. Found only this act=sect&sterms=&s=52&offset=20&id=gmx' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>site.
Just want to conclude a price range of new and used ones.
Mostly looking on ebay, used at 330$

sth like this.
Which model would it fit, since it has only 2 screws for shrouds, probably all 98 to 02 models?
Posted Image

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 12, 2008 - 04:52 AM

I'm onto this now.
Any info on manufacturers, shops. Found only this act=sect&sterms=&s=52&offset=20&id=gmx' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>site.
Just want to conclude a price range of new and used ones.
Mostly looking on ebay, used at 330$

sth like this.
Which model would it fit, since it has only 2 screws for shrouds, probably all 98 to 02 models?
Posted Image

I want one for my 08

• BIG_FAT_&_SLOW

Posted January 12, 2008 - 08:57 AM

http://www.offroadch.../Xfun/xfun.html

• 5valve

Posted January 12, 2008 - 09:20 AM

Quite pricey 695, managed to find 520, Italy.

Still wondering on the approximate fittage of the top pic tank.

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2008 - 09:22 AM

The tank illustrated appears to be for a 426 ('00-'02) and if so, I believe it should fit a 400 as well.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 12, 2008 - 09:22 AM

Anybody know how these fit?

• 5valve

Posted January 12, 2008 - 09:30 AM

Think 07 and 08 are the same.

• meyermetal

Posted January 12, 2008 - 09:35 AM

Those are some ugly tanks :ride:

For 700 beans you think they would grind and polish the welds :banghead:

Try not to rack yourself on that RM :busted:

• nap__kxf

Posted January 12, 2008 - 10:58 AM

that tank in the picture looks like a plastic tank with silver spray paint

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2008 - 11:35 AM

that tank in the picture looks like a plastic tank with silver spray paint

How do you explain the welds around the seat platform and shroud mount points? Just because someone was skilled enough to form a curve into the tank sides doesn't mean it's not aluminum.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_604

Posted January 12, 2008 - 12:58 PM

So why do people want/need an AL tank?

• 2wheels-drz

Posted January 12, 2008 - 01:12 PM

http://www.gmxradiators.co.uk

They mainly make radiators, but do some awesome alloy tanks etc etc... i had one on my wr 400. it had been designed to hold less fuel and be less bulky.

• KJ790

Posted January 12, 2008 - 01:34 PM

Because they are expensive, some of the pros have used them on works bikes, and very few people have them. There really isn't an advantage, if anything I'd say they are a disadvantage because they can dent. If I mess up a plastic gas tank I can have a new one for $100. I'll stick with plastic.

• 5valve

Posted January 12, 2008 - 02:37 PM

Octane loss is less, because through plastic, fuel slowly evaporates and becomes poor, in alu it stays ritch. minor but hey...
Some say plastic tank cant be repaired, but alu sure can be welded and also anodized any colour possible.

• nap__kxf

Posted January 12, 2008 - 03:09 PM

How do you explain the welds around the seat platform and shroud mount points? Just because someone was skilled enough to form a curve into the tank sides doesn't mean it's not aluminum.

i noticed the beads but the blotchiness and patches look extremely close to paint, or maybe he painted the tank for whatever reason. but it undoubtedly looks like its been painted.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 12, 2008 - 03:30 PM

Octane loss is less, because through plastic, fuel slowly evaporates and becomes poor, in alu it stays ritch. minor but hey...
Some say plastic tank cant be repaired, but alu sure can be welded and also anodized any colour possible.

I think they're cool. I would like one but not looking like that

• 5valve

Posted January 12, 2008 - 04:01 PM

Yes its like a transformer robot.

tank is probably naturally anodized, just like rims.

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2008 - 04:59 PM

... the blotchiness and patches look extremely close to paint, ...it undoubtedly looks like its been painted.

To me, it looks like hand hammered unfinished aluminum always looks after it's been around a little while.:banghead:

• Birdy426

Posted January 13, 2008 - 10:52 AM

Yup, it's amazing what a skilled craftsman can do with a planishing hammer or "Yodel" machine...look at the windscreen fairings on most fighters from the "century Series" and earlier...all done by hand...

• Birdy426

Posted January 13, 2008 - 10:55 AM

for FI, you will have to have an AL tank...there's a pump in there which must be grounded, and a fuel return that could result in positive pressure if the tank vent plugs.

Also, for "Green Sticker" bikes, Cali now requires a double wall plastic tank to minimize vapor loss thru the plastic (Yamaha WRs have a double wall, Honda uses some kind of coating). An aluminum tank doesn't "bleed"

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.