xr650r Fuel Injection Conversion???

14 replies to this topic
  • ToXicD

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:28 PM

hey guys i just had a thought. since the new honda 700xx quad is based from the xr650r motor do you think that they will have the same crankshaft?? the reason i ask is because i was thinking about the possibility of taking the electronics and fuel injection system off the 700xx and using it on our motors!! the only thing i can think of that may be a problem is if they use a different flywheel and pickups. even if that is the case im sure there is a way to get around it. so what do you guys think the odds of doing this would be??

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:36 PM

hey guys i just had a thought. since the new honda 700xx quad is based from the xr650r motor do you think that they will have the same crankshaft?? the reason i ask is because i was thinking about the possibility of taking the electronics and fuel injection system off the 700xx and using it on our motors!! the only thing i can think of that may be a problem is if they use a different flywheel and pickups. even if that is the case im sure there is a way to get around it. so what do you guys think the odds of doing this would be??

What is the point? The two vehicles have different motors, tuned differently, for different purposes. Sounds like a full time job just to make it work, let alone work well.

• jdubb75

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:46 PM

What is the point? The two vehicles have different motors, tuned differently, for different purposes. Sounds like a full time job just to make it work, let alone work well.

Where there is a will, there is a way. If someone would like to donate their 650R to me and a fuelie setup from a 700XX I'll get right on it. Sounds like a grand idea to me... :banghead:

• ToXicD

Posted January 11, 2008 - 10:31 PM

got the motor, in 2 or 3 years it shouldnt be hard to find a complete wiring harness on ebay. maybe someone here has a friend or works at a honda dealership themselves who could pull off the stator cover late one night after it comes out and take a looksie :banghead:

• Captain Midnight

Posted January 14, 2008 - 10:41 PM

I used a Megasquirt fuel injection on my XR650L. It was cheap, easy, and works good.

• Thumpmeister

Posted January 15, 2008 - 12:08 AM

I used a Megasquirt fuel injection on my XR650L. It was cheap, easy, and works good.

What did you use for throttle body, injector, fuel pump, etc.? How did you do this? I'm sure a lot of 650R owners would love to have FI on their bikes, as long as it would give a definative power increase...

• XR250rdr

Posted January 15, 2008 - 01:44 AM

I entered this thread to point this out. The quad stuff will invariably take up too much space.

There is a Microsquirt unit out now too that is about credit card sized.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BeeDub

Posted January 15, 2008 - 09:42 AM

I entered this thread to point this out. The quad stuff will invariably take up too much space.

There is a Microsquirt unit out now too that is about credit card sized.

I've been wondering too if there was a way to replace my carb with fuel injection on my '07 L. These things look promising, but I haven't the first clue as to how it all works. Do these units completely replace the carb, and come with everything you need to do so? Any more guys out there who have actually used these things? Any more info from Captain Midnight who came on and said he has it, it works good? For example, a step by step on putting it in and tuning it would be a major help, including what replaces the carburetor if anything. To me, these things just look like the controllers, so what goes in place of the carb??? I'm really interested now, I think I'll start a thread specific to the L so I don't ruin this one.

• XR250rdr

Posted January 15, 2008 - 07:39 PM

Mega/Microsquirt units are just fuel management controllers. You still need to source a throttle body, injectors, fuel pump, and wiring.

Those units are nice because they are much less money than pretty much everything else on the market but still offer most of the advanced features.

Assembled units run ~$400 for the full size Megasquirt and $329 for the Microsquirt IIRC.

• Captain Midnight

Posted January 17, 2008 - 11:38 PM

Most of the parts you need to make a system work, you can get from other fuel injected bikes off e-bay.

• ToXicD

Posted January 18, 2008 - 01:03 AM

It would be awesome if someone could right up a step by step article with pics on how to do something like that or better yet somebody make a complete bolt on stand alone system. Anyone wanna start a fuel injection conversion company with me :cool:

• HeadTrauma

Posted January 18, 2008 - 07:51 PM

Assembled units run ~$400 for the full size Megasquirt and $329 for the Microsquirt IIRC.

MegaSquirt-II/PCB v3.0 is $410 assembled plus S&H; Microsquirt is only available fully assembled at $400.

MS-I/PCB v2.2 unassembled kits are dirt cheap by comparison at ~$140.

Of course you still need sensors, trigger wheel, a throttle body, fuel pump, pressure regulator, injector(s), wideband oxygen sensor, and miscellaneous hard parts to round it out.

• dldavis_66

Posted January 19, 2008 - 04:30 AM

WHOA!!! Aw man, you've definately sparked my interest. Been looking for a EFI for my bike for a while now. I've got 2 - 650Ls, an '05 and '07. I'm currently working on the older one and I would love to put a EFI on that one. If it works good I'll put it on the newer one too.

I have read about fuel starvation with hill climbing, etc. Have you experienced any such things??? If so, did you find a solution???

• lowflyer

Posted January 20, 2008 - 11:44 AM

Anybody got an actual parts list put together for this?

• ToXicD

Posted January 20, 2008 - 01:24 PM

Anybody got an actual parts list put together for this?

i believe someone put one together in the other thread discussing fuel injection in this forum.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.