Turn signal question

21 replies to this topic
  • Wild Turkey

Posted January 11, 2008 - 08:02 PM

I bought a set of turn signals from procycle for my 06 XR650l, and when I installed them they didn't flash. I switched the wires around several different ways, but still can't get them to blink. The kit I ordered is #5 in this link http://www.procycle.us/main/dskit.htm. Do I need to purchase the turn signal flasher (item #8) to make these work? Or am I just retarded. :banghead:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:45 PM

I bought a set of turn signals from procycle for my 06 XR650l, and when I installed them they didn't flash. I switched the wires around several different ways, but still can't get them to blink. The kit I ordered is #5 in this link http://www.procycle.us/main/dskit.htm. Do I need to purchase the turn signal flasher (item #8) to make these work? Or am I just retarded. :busted:

Just retarded.

:banghead:

• Wild Turkey

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:46 PM

Just retarded.

:banghead:

Ha Ha very funny :busted:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:48 PM

You are replacing blinkers because,..........

- the old ones stopped blinking, even with new bulbs
- the old ones were trashed
- the old ones were ugly and big

You probably just need a flasher: find the flasher, unplug the wires, short them together (for no longer than a few seconds) and try the turn signals. If they light up, it's the flasher. If they don't, it's not.

• Wild Turkey

Posted January 11, 2008 - 10:26 PM

You are replacing blinkers because,..........

- the old ones stopped blinking, even with new bulbs
- the old ones were trashed
- the old ones were ugly and big

You probably just need a flasher: find the flasher, unplug the wires, short them together (for no longer than a few seconds) and try the turn signals. If they light up, it's the flasher. If they don't, it's not.

- the old ones were ugly and big. Thanks for helping, I'll try that tomorrow. I feel really dumb asking this... but where is the flasher located? :banghead:

• Suikerland

Posted January 11, 2008 - 11:19 PM

this might be even more retarded but on other bikes i used to locate it by listening for the tc-tic-tic-tic when you turn on the turn signal switch.
If there is no tic-tic-tic, the flasher ain't working.

• dmvmechanics

Posted January 12, 2008 - 06:45 PM

check on the amount fo draw on the new bulbs, or take the old ones and rehook them up to see if the flasher works, if it does you need a resistor/voltage regulator. if not its your flasher

• Wild Turkey

Posted January 12, 2008 - 09:43 PM

check on the amount fo draw on the new bulbs, or take the old ones and rehook them up to see if the flasher works, if it does you need a resistor/voltage regulator. if not its your flasher

I hooked up the old lights on the right side of my bike and they worked great. I will look into getting a resistor to make the new lights work. Thanks for the help.

• absynth01

Posted January 12, 2008 - 11:54 PM

Buy the cheapest automotive flasher you can. Replace your stock flasher. The cheaper the flasher the easier it flashes......... Don't buy a " heavy duty ' flasher. They reley on more resistance to trip the circuit. Smaller lights require less resistance to trip the flasher. We run small bulbs that none of our bikes stock trip!! Try less load flashers. If it doesn't work, they make a programmable type. good luck

• pwrpapa

Posted January 13, 2008 - 03:15 AM

I would put the old ones back on an screw all that extra hassle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wild Turkey

Posted January 13, 2008 - 06:24 PM

Buy the cheapest automotive flasher you can. Replace your stock flasher. The cheaper the flasher the easier it flashes......... Don't buy a " heavy duty ' flasher. They reley on more resistance to trip the circuit. Smaller lights require less resistance to trip the flasher. We run small bulbs that none of our bikes stock trip!! Try less load flashers. If it doesn't work, they make a programmable type. good luck

Thanks a million Absynth! I went to the auto parts store and bought the cheapest flasher I could find and it worked. I'll post up some pics of my new turn signals, brake light and liscense plate relocation later. I'll also include the part number for the flasher in case anyone else runs into this problem. :banghead:

• jonr3

Posted January 14, 2008 - 04:58 AM

Thanks a million Absynth! I went to the auto parts store and bought the cheapest flasher I could find and it worked. I'll post up some pics of my new turn signals, brake light and liscense plate relocation later. I'll also include the part number for the flasher in case anyone else runs into this problem. :banghead:

Looking forward to the pics and part number as I am doing the same thing. I bought some small, flush mounted turn signals and they won't flash, although the stock ones work fine. Thanks!

• Wild Turkey

Posted January 14, 2008 - 09:13 AM

Looking forward to the pics and part number as I am doing the same thing. I bought some small, flush mounted turn signals and they won't flash, although the stock ones work fine. Thanks!

You have a PM Jon :banghead:

• martinfan30

Posted January 14, 2008 - 12:56 PM

Post some pics when you are done. I am considering replacing the TV sets hanging off the side of my L too!

• Wild Turkey

Posted January 14, 2008 - 03:44 PM

Okay fellas, here's the pics from my little fat trimming project. In order to make the turn signals work I had to buy a cheapo turn signal flasher after Absynth pointed me in the right direction, thanks man. The signal flasher I bought is made by Tridon and the part number is 552. The tail light install went really smooth. Here's the pics:

front turn signals:
Posted Image
Posted Image

rear signals, brake light, and license plate relocation:
Posted Image
Posted Image

License plate bracket I made out of 18ga steel. I welded two small allen screws to it and painted it black. It fits through the rubber grommets that the old tail light bolts went through on the rear fender.
Posted Image

I'd say close to 4 lbs of trimmings :banghead:
Posted Image

I really appreciate all the people that tried to help me get my flasher problem figured out. I'm new to motorcycles and this probably isn't the last time I'm going to need help or ask retarded questions LOL.

• ericgoxr

Posted January 14, 2008 - 06:47 PM

anyone know where you can order one of the cheap flasher relays? I put on some tiny lockhart phillips turn signals and I have been dealing with the same nonsence. Just a small part of my weight reduction plan on my xr650l

• ericgoxr

Posted January 14, 2008 - 06:57 PM

We posted at the same time. Sorry about that. Just ordered the part. right on ebay. Lets hope it works for me too.

• desert4seat

Posted January 14, 2008 - 07:59 PM

anyone know where you can order one of the cheap flasher relays? I put on some tiny lockhart phillips turn signals and I have been dealing with the same nonsence. Just a small part of my weight reduction plan on my xr650l

I got mine from Baja Designs. Looks like a good quality flasher. plugs right into existing electrical (when you ask for pre-installes male electrical ends) and it'll run the smallest of LED's...no more clicking noise either
(like that matters).

• absynth01

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:12 AM

Yeah ditch that extra weight and stock signals. My 600R has small carbon fiber rears, and the acerbis fronts built into the guards. I have a new round of C/F fronts and rears for the 650L. I originally bought the 600R and guess what. Someone spent all this money putting ungrades on it and couldn't get the electrical to work! Signals included! Boy was he pissed when I replaced the flasher with a 552, and bypassed his lighting and ignition circuit. Was riding it that night. My wifes Dr350es has taken a few spills, and broke a few blinkers to boot. When I replaced her blinkers with smaller ones, It wouldn't flash. Same deal.
The downside is, they aren't as fail proof as the programmable type or electronic type. But at $2.00 they are an easy fix, and can be found anywhere (walmart and such), or carried on the bike or person. Notice the stock bike ones are usually rubber mounted. I simply zip tie a piece of hose around the topside of the flasher, with the zip going between the terminals. Then I zip tie the unit, rubberside down, to a fixed point. I've got 800+rough miles on this 552 flasher, and no failure yet.:banghead:

• absynth01

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:30 AM

Here is a pic of the NAPA part
Posted Image

XR600R signals
Posted Image
Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.