YZM400f Prototype

6 replies to this topic
  • Dazzel

Posted January 11, 2008 - 07:32 PM

Can anyone tell me when Yamaha built it's first YZ400f prototype motor. I'm hoping it was before Dec 1995.

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2008 - 08:59 PM

I don't know the exact date, but it would have been before that, I would think. They had one ready to go in 1997, of course, and before that could happen, there had to be the design (the brain child of one particular Yamaha engineer), which had to be sold to the corporate directors (which was not, apparently, easily done), then the working prototype built to show the AMA to get their approval. After that, the production prototype would need to be tooled up and built, and final approval from the AMA, all in time to be ready for January of '97.

So, yeah, I'd say it would have been a near miracle outside of WWII industrial America for the prototype power plant to have been built later than 12/95.

• hi everybody

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:04 PM

If I may ask...why before December 1995? just curious...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dazzel

Posted January 12, 2008 - 12:40 AM

I'm looking to race with a post classic club here in Australia and the cut off is 1 December 1995. So I need some proof that the engine existed in some form prior to that date.

I know what your thinking, there must be an easier way to go racing but I'm old and a bit post classic myself so it sort of fits.

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2008 - 08:35 AM

That's not going to work, IMO, because the complete bike didn't exist at all officially until 1997, when it was a prototype only. It was not available to the public until 1998.

• Dazzel

Posted January 12, 2008 - 09:51 PM

I know what your saying but I just need the engine to have existed in some form in 1995. The rest of the bike doesn't matter.

• KAS

Posted January 12, 2008 - 10:09 PM

I know what your saying but I just need the engine to have existed in some form in 1995. The rest of the bike doesn't matter.

Still wont fly. The YZM motor was in no way shape or form like the motor that ended up in the YZ400F.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.