WR450 CDI Issues

2 replies to this topic
  • un450azul

Posted January 11, 2008 - 01:19 PM

Well after chasing electrical issues on my '03 WR450 we appear to have isolated the problem to the CDI. Unfortunately I do not have another ignition box handy to verify this to be the problem. I recently had a Trail Tech Stator and HID installed and was hoping this may have been causing the issue.

Does anyone know of a check method (other than a swap) on the CDI?

Any kind souls in North Orange County CA that would lend a hapless lad their CDI for a few moments :banghead:

Additionally if I order the part it has to be shipped from Japan so it would take some time... damn this is eating into my ride time. :busted:

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Ron
Fullerton CA

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted January 11, 2008 - 02:27 PM

If you need a CDI there is no way I would wait for one from Japan and end up with another weak stock one. www.mtracing.com has the Vortex X-10 and that is the only thing you should be looking at if you in fact do need a CDI box. Again this is just my opinion, but when it happened on my '02 WR 426 the stocker from Japan was possibly months away and $200 more than the Vortex. Installing the Vortex was like getting a new bike with mud and full power modes at the flip of a handy handlebar mounted switch.:banghead: WR Dave

• un450azul

Posted January 11, 2008 - 04:55 PM

Excellent advice WR_D, appreciate that. I did initially look for aftermarket but must have got misinformaton because I thought it'd be in the $700+ range.

Even worse I just passed through Riverside an hour ago and could have stopped by. Oh Well.

thanks again, looks like a good solution.

Ron

If you need a CDI there is no way I would wait for one from Japan and end up with another weak stock one. www.mtracing.com has the Vortex X-10 and that is the only thing you should be looking at if you in fact do need a CDI box. Again this is just my opinion, but when it happened on my '02 WR 426 the stocker from Japan was possibly months away and $200 more than the Vortex. Installing the Vortex was like getting a new bike with mud and full power modes at the flip of a handy handlebar mounted switch.:banghead: WR Dave

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.