Xr700r???

28 replies to this topic
  • jdubb75

Posted January 11, 2008 - 12:56 PM

Here's a thought... Maybe the 650R isn't on the 08 lineup because Honda has a top secret 700cc open class monster in the works??? I think it would be great. Liquid cooled 686cc, with electric start and fuel injection. It's all been done on the new 08 TRX700XX quad. Why not retrofit for the two wheeled crowd? It just makes too much sense. I hope it's not just wishful thinking. :banghead: Anybody else out there ever ponder this thought? I didn't see any other threads bout it, but if it's been covered forgive me as I am a newb. :busted:

2008 TRX700XX

ENGINE

Engine Type 686cc liquid-cooled SOHC dry-sump single-cylinder four-stroke

Bore and Stroke 102mm x 84mm

Induction Keihin PGM-FI with a 44mm throttle-body fuel injection system

Ignition CD with electronic advance

Starter Electric

• KAS

Posted January 11, 2008 - 01:00 PM

Not gonna happen. Honda is done with the 650R, its fate sealed by the 450X now winning races in Baja.

Honda has no more use for the 650R. I said it in another thread--the 650R was not built for me or you, it was strictly Bruce Ogilvie's pet project, purpose built for racing Baja.

The new quad was built to go up against the Raptor 700. Thats it and thats all.

• Maroast

Posted January 11, 2008 - 01:01 PM

Anybody else out there ever ponder this thought?

you and about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,230,001 other people.

I didn't see any other threads bout it, but if it's been covered forgive me as I am a newb. :busted:

Its been mentioned in about 100,000,000 other threads across several forums (i.e. advrider.com). I'm actually pretty sick of listening to rumors about this mythical bike. It's not going to happen. I'm not tryin to get on you or anything, its just that I'm bitter and hopelessness has set in....theres always KTM i guess :banghead:

• jdubb75

Posted January 11, 2008 - 01:11 PM

Not gonna happen. Honda is done with the 650R, its fate sealed by the 450X now winning races in Baja.

Honda has no more use for the 650R. I said it in another thread--the 650R was not built for me or you, it was strictly Bruce Ogilvie's pet project, purpose built for racing Baja.

The new quad was built to go up against the Raptor 700. Thats it and thats all.

ouch...you guys are crushing my hopes and dreams. :banghead: maybe if i win the lotto i will just build my own.

• KAS

Posted January 11, 2008 - 01:19 PM

Hey, I think the 650R was a great bike. I think its stupid Honda doesn't build it anymore. I just don't think there will be a replacement.

This will irk the 650L guys, but I think Honda should have dumped the 650L, and replaced it with a street-legal 650R.

• martinfan30

Posted January 11, 2008 - 01:21 PM

Hey, I think the 650R was a great bike. I think its stupid Honda doesn't build it anymore. I just don't think there will be a replacement.

This will irk the 650L guys, but I think Honda should have dumped the 650L, and replaced it with a street-legal 650R.

If that was the case, I would have chosen that over my L. Not that my L is a bad bike at all...

• RYDMOTO

Posted January 11, 2008 - 01:34 PM

Motorcycle Daily has a questions wether or not a 700cc dual sport is on it's way or not....do they know something we don't?

• kidcurry600r

Posted January 11, 2008 - 01:35 PM

http://www.motorcycl...y08_bigbore.htm

http://powersports.h...delId=TRX700XX8

:banghead:

This was duscussed on ADVrider this morning.

• Maroast

Posted January 11, 2008 - 01:39 PM

do they know something we don't?

No. there is nothing.

there isn't even talk of bringing this to the US :banghead: ....we're 2nd class citizens
http://www.yamaha-mo...ture/xt660z.jsp

• martinfan30

Posted January 11, 2008 - 01:49 PM

I really like that 660. There is a guy in DS forum with the address of YAMAHA in socal. Write a letter and tell them why we need that sweet looking bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jdubb75

Posted January 11, 2008 - 02:57 PM

I think if Honda even has a small interest in staying competetive in the dual sport/adventure market they will not kill off the big bore XR. It's going to be around in one way, shape or form. Sure the 450 can win Baja, but I wouldn't want to tour Mexico on it. Unless they want to spend money on develpment for a completly new powerplant, adopting some form of the 700XX engine is the logical choice. Here's the way I see it... Out comes the 700XX and away goes the XR650R, keep the XRL in 08 to keep a foot in the market and then in 09 or 10...PRESTO...a brand new redesigned 700XX based dual sport. I can't and wont accept that Honda would kill off the XR. They may change the name but the heart of it will be an XR not the high revving 2 stroke replacements that we see today.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted January 11, 2008 - 04:54 PM

Maybe that is the plan. The L has obviously worn out it's welcome after no changes in 15 years or so and the trend is going to liquid cooled and fuel injected engines for emission reasons if no other. The 700 atv is both of those. As the L still does sell fairly well, what sense would it make to get rid of it in '08 if the 700R is not ready until '09. The only version anyone has seen of that engine has it mated to a centralized output for the IRS quad. I'm wishful thinking as well, but it would seem logical that some time is needed to reconfigure that setup to a leftsided countershaft arrangment.

One thing is almost certain, a purely off road version of the bike will likely never see production. There is no reason for it and it probably would not sell beyond the first year. A 450X would still be a better off road mount.

• jdubb75

Posted January 11, 2008 - 06:35 PM

I grew up on XR's, had a short stint with a CR250 and did some time on a Triumph TT600 and for the last 4 years have been on 4 wheels by way of a tough as nails Rubicon. I'm ready to get back on 2 wheels (still be keepin the Rubi) and I hate to see the XR's disappear. I can't help myself...I'm on the hunt for a good deal on a 650R. Just in case. :busted: I'm wanting to do a dual sport/supermoto street setup and it sounds like that is the best option anyway.:banghead:

• AtomicGeo

Posted January 11, 2008 - 06:47 PM

Me too. :banghead:

If that was the case, I would have chosen that over my L. Not that my L is a bad bike at all...

• KAS

Posted January 11, 2008 - 06:54 PM

Motorcycle Daily has a questions wether or not a 700cc dual sport is on it's way or not....do they know something we don't?

No, they don't. They just love to hear themselves yammer on.

You guys do realize the TRX700 motor is just a 686cc, FI, e-start 650R motor?

• Brtp4

Posted January 11, 2008 - 07:46 PM

Clearly. Except they didn't.

BP

• xr650l bum

Posted January 11, 2008 - 08:52 PM

There has to be more to it. If that was the case and it would of passed smog, fit in the exsisting frame, they would of done it. Would of sold shite loads of them.

• Suikerland

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:33 PM

Honda did sell a fully street-legal (and uncorked) XR650R almost everywhere else in the world except the USA. I have one.
It's the same bike, but with turn-signals, bigger tail-light unit / brake light and brighter headlight with glass lens and analog odometer. And uncorked.

• jdubb75

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:41 PM

Honda did sell a fully street-legal (and uncorked) XR650R almost everywhere else in the world except the USA. I have one.
It's the same bike, but with turn-signals, bigger tail-light unit / brake light and brighter headlight with glass lens and analog odometer. And uncorked.

Yep, we get the shaft here in the states as far as bikes are concerned. Sometimes I search overseas manufacturers sites just to see what they are not giving us. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. :banghead:

• Maroast

Posted January 12, 2008 - 01:37 AM

Is it really? I dont know anything about the trx700's guts...i.e. crank, trans, yada yada.... Is the bore the same w/ a longer stroke..or is it big bore same stroke....or is the bore stroke different? (i dont know, just asking)

I saw this thing at the motorcycle show, but didnt pay all to much attention to it (looking at quads for to long burns my retinas)...at a quick glance the motor didn't look exactly like a 650r motor....the head is CLEARLY different (i.e single exhaust port/ header)....and just the general shape of the motor looked different from the 650r motor....that was just my impression from quickly looking at it..... Has anyone else here really scrutinized this 700cc motor?

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.