Any CRF converts here??

12 replies to this topic
  • chipj

Posted January 11, 2008 - 07:47 AM

I just sold my trusty 06 CRF 450 and am going to get an 08 YZ 450. I need to try something different and I'm thinking that the new chassis refinements will a nice departure from what I'm used to.

Are there any other Honda converts here? What are your thoughts? I haven't had a YZ since the 426 days, but always felt like they were a top quality bike.

Thanks

• wes782

Posted January 11, 2008 - 07:50 AM

i switched to a yamaha this year after riding hondas for 3 years. I got a left over 07, at first i was disappointed but then i got offset clamps and now i like it alot. i got the zip ty mod and it made my bike just as fast as my honda but way better response. overall i am happy. and im happy with the money i saved.

• MotoXT

Posted January 11, 2008 - 07:59 AM

i switched to a yamaha this year after riding hondas for 3 years. I got a left over 07, at first i was disappointed but then i got offset clamps and now i like it alot. i got the zip ty mod and it made my bike just as fast as my honda but way better response. overall i am happy. and im happy with the money i saved.

Hey Wes - what offset did you go to?

• AnotherRedHead

Posted January 11, 2008 - 08:56 AM

I have an 06 honda. I like them both. But I like the yamaha better.

• wes782

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:23 AM

Hey Wes - what offset did you go to?

applied 24mm

• endurodog

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:38 AM

I sold my 05 CRF450 and got an 08 YZF450. The biggest thing with the Honda for me was valves and little problems. Havn't had the Yamaha that long, bought in Oct, but so far very happy with it. Smooth power that allows me to ride longer and I believe go faster.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Napa Neil

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:58 AM

Just my 2 cents worth.
I got to ride both the Yami and the Honda before I bought my '07 CRF450R.
The Honda was easier to ride, more rider friendley and had more low end power.
The Yamaha is really intended for racing and the higher reving faster guys.
The suspension can take more of a pounding at higher speeds and still be smooth too.
The Honda susp. is a little harsh in stock form.

• wes782

Posted January 11, 2008 - 10:34 AM

Just my 2 cents worth.
I got to ride both the Yami and the Honda before I bought my '07 CRF450R.
The Honda was easier to ride, more rider friendley and had more low end power.
The Yamaha is really intended for racing and the higher reving faster guys.

um..... what? i think you have everything backwards. because the way you described the honda is normally how yamahas are...... besides the more low end power which hondas do have more. but the yamaha is by far more rider friendly than a honda and easier to ride.

• Ray_B.

Posted January 11, 2008 - 02:14 PM

Ive been on hondas since '96 (20).. just switched to a Yz450 2 months ago and love it!

• usmcpaul

Posted January 11, 2008 - 04:31 PM

I replaced my 06' CRF450x with my 05 YZF450 and I couldn't be happier:applause: . Valves were the main reason.

• YamaHonda

Posted January 11, 2008 - 06:50 PM

I just sold my trusty 06 CRF 450 and am going to get an 08 YZ 450. I need to try something different and I'm thinking that the new chassis refinements will a nice departure from what I'm used to.

Are there any other Honda converts here? What are your thoughts? I haven't had a YZ since the 426 days, but always felt like they were a top quality bike.

Thanks

Hard to pick a winner comparing my 05 CRF to the 07 YZ450F. I stick with the CRF for Motocross and ride the YZ for hare scrambles and the occasional moab trip. They are very different bikes and its hard to switch back and forth when I bring both bikes to the track. To be fair, I had the suspension done on the CRF and have a slipper clutch in there too. That set up makes the CRF hard to beat with an essentially stock YZF for the way I ride MX. If I could only have 1 bike, it would probably be a YZF but It would need some work (suspension, 24mm clamps and slipper clutch) to be better than the CRF set up I have. I've replaced the valve train on the CRF 1 time in 3 years of riding 30+ weekends a year. My 04 YZF was the same.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted January 11, 2008 - 07:59 PM

I replaced my 06' CRF450x with my 05 YZF450 and I couldn't be happier:applause: . Valves were the main reason.

I did something similar. I replaced an 05 CRF450X with my 07 YZ450F. I never had trouble with valves (or anything else) on the 450x and I sure do miss that button start!!

However, I spent 90% of my time at the local MX track and the X just wasn't built for that. That's why I went with the Yamaha. Better suspension for the track, handles nice, weighs 30 lbs less, and is as smooth as silk. A great choice for MX.

• usmcpaul

Posted January 13, 2008 - 11:00 AM

Kent, the MX track was the second reason (a close second) for me, once I started riding the track I didn't even want to go to the trails anymore, I'm a 'track junkie' now. :banghead:

I really wanted to be a Honda rider. In fact last year I bought 2 brand new Hondas for me and my oldest daughter, but the valve issues I had during the short time I rode it were too much for me.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.