New WR guy

17 replies to this topic
  • zod0143

Posted January 11, 2008 - 06:02 AM

Coming off of the CRF X ......... Is the AIS kit equipped with the correct carb jets for the "mods"? Or do I need to get even fatter with the jetting? This is to be my competition bike for the 08 year and I would like to get it right. Also any supension starting points with the clickers for 6 foot 190lbs "A" woods rider? I always get the best info here!!!! Thanks ZOD:busted:

• dazzabb

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:19 PM

Zod,

Sorry I can't answer your questions and don't want to hijack your post, but just interested how you feel the X compares to the WR?

I'm actually gonna go the other way, currently have an 05 WR450 but will be going for an 08 CRF450X soon.

• CORider63

Posted January 11, 2008 - 10:39 PM

I like the cleaner installation of the ThumperTalk AIS removal kit, over the one from Yamaha.

I went with the JD Jetting Kit because I didn't have time to mess with the jetting. I followed the instructions exactly and it has been running flawlessly.

• redswr

Posted January 12, 2008 - 12:27 AM

Zod,

Sorry I can't answer your questions and don't want to hijack your post, but just interested how you feel the X compares to the WR?

I'm actually gonna go the other way, currently have an 05 WR450 but will be going for an 08 CRF450X soon.

you'll be amazed if you get a 07/08 wr... alot better than the 06 and older.

for the AIS kit the GYTR kit comes with jets but if i knew what i was getting in the kit i would have just found a scrap piece of aluminum and built my own... there's not really much to it.

• tweav

Posted January 12, 2008 - 01:55 AM

it depends on how you ride . at 190 lbs I would respring and revalve because it will be a tad too soft on both counts. I have yet to hear of anybody that was happy with their jetting so get a jd jet kit . I just put on a power bowl and I have a zipty air screw . this bike is very hard to work on the carb it take like 4 hours to pull the carb and do your thing so I opt for adjustable. I really think you should get a yz pipe or a good after market one . the shock pipe is like breathing thru a straw.I have a whole fmf setup . oh and do all the free stuff too . here check out my dual sported pig.

Posted Image

• gsgreg

Posted January 12, 2008 - 06:11 AM

The GYTR kit is great. I installed it in my 07WR along with the GYTR pilot screw and GYTR exhaust tip. It works like one would expect the bike to run. Power delivery is smooth and powerful. Nearly every jet is replaced with the kit. I am very happy with the way it turned out! Especially since I had to take the bike apart to get the carb out. It is a real PITA but well worth it in the end.

G2

• MojaveThumper

Posted January 12, 2008 - 06:44 AM

Welcome to the show.

As for the jet, I run the one that comes with the kit with no issues. Then again I don't race mine so that may be the difference.

Good luck with it.

• zod0143

Posted January 12, 2008 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for all of your help guys. I am looking forward to giving it a go. I rolled it out of the truck then in to the barn and started stripping it down. I am waiting for my goodies. As for the X I loved it until it started getting some wear. I race 35-40 races a year in tight East coast style woods. To say that I am hard on equipment would be an understatement. I have been told the the WR powerplant is just as good if not a bit more reliable. I got sponsored by a Yamaha dealer hear and got a new WR for 5K and a deal on parts so........I ride ablue bike. I'm a whore I know. Again I will be making more posts and appreciate you alls time MADMATTD anybody in Southern or central Indiana I have ALOT of land to ride and alot of trail cut so PM me

• zod0143

Posted January 13, 2008 - 08:58 AM

Boys I couldn't stand it anymore so I rode it stock today. I HOPE TO HELL you dudes are right. It is a turd What have I done? Please be right. NO hit NO supension CRAP

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • C-P

Posted January 13, 2008 - 06:21 PM

Ha! - that's why I haven't even ridden my brand new bike stock - I knew there would be no point. Do the free mods - gray wire, throttle stop, exhaust baffle, airbox, jetting. Then, might as well get the suspension done while you're at it.

• zod0143

Posted January 13, 2008 - 06:45 PM

I hope your right I E-mailed MX-Tech today I have been reassured that everythings gonna be alright I hope

• dazzabb

Posted January 13, 2008 - 08:42 PM

Boys I couldn't stand it anymore so I rode it stock today. I HOPE TO HELL you dudes are right. It is a turd What have I done? Please be right. NO hit NO supension CRAP

Why don't you say what you really mean! :banghead:

I thought the suspension on the 07 was supposed to be the mutt's nuts, but you are having a re-valve on a brand new bike?

I and I'm sure a lot of others will be interested to see how the 07 WR compares to your old CRFX once you have got it sorted.

Good luck with the turd!

• tweav

Posted January 13, 2008 - 10:45 PM

I did not ride mine in stock forn ether . it sounded lame.so I tore it apart and and made it the way it should have been stock

• texas_hippie

Posted January 14, 2008 - 04:31 PM

The GYTR kit has the jets. Everything you need is there. I almost cried the first time I rode mine stock. I thought I'd really screwed the pooch buying it. The next day, with the AIS removed, I almost shit the first time I grabbed a handful of throttle! Sumnabitched looped in second gear, slammed me to the ground, knocked the wind out of me, and generally beat my ass. I was ecstatic! A world of difference with all that Cali treehugger stuff gone. As for the suspension, I ride strictly woods single track stuff at sea level. Set your sag, go to a thicker oil in the forks, and see what you think. You may want to forgo all the revalving expense. I'm 6 foot, and 260 pounds. The only time I've ever bottomed the shocks was at the track, when I whiskey throttled a jump and sailed completely over the tabletop. But then again, the WR is definately NOT a track bike. By the way, I didn't even have to remove the carb to get to the jets...just loosen the boot, and turn the carb until you can get to the bowl screws. Same deal with the throttle stop. Go look at the stickies for info.

• zod0143

Posted January 14, 2008 - 05:32 PM

Thank you Tejas. Today I removed the AIS and I am still waiting for the kit. Gutted the Peeshooter exhaust and fabbed a connecting piece to the stock exhaust. Disabled the Gray wire and ripped out the snorkels. Removed the Radiator braces and added Unabiker Rad guards ( pain in the booty without japanese hands well worth the time though). waitng for my GYTR kit and thick kit for my Damper. I still have to spoon off the Dungflop tires and get some Bridgees on it. New chain, fuel screw,sprockets,graphics and tall seat coming. I will be working on it in the trailer on Sat night before the race on Sunday. I'll try the Fork oil

Question: Where do you run the clickers????? I'm going pretty good in the "A" class and I hit shit Anyone can answer

• MotoGoalie

Posted January 15, 2008 - 02:34 PM

If you are going to dick the with jetting at all, actually just buy this thing and replace that Hot Start nut or you'll booger it up looking at it in the garage.

Posted Image

Trust me.

Replace your Hot start nut.

http://www.ziptyraci...spx?id=MTEwNA==

• C-P

Posted January 15, 2008 - 07:36 PM

I hope your right I E-mailed MX-Tech today I have been reassured that everythings gonna be alright I hope

I'm suprised the dealer that's helping you out didn't uncork the bike for you...you'd think they'd want you out talking about how great Yammy is and how great they are!

• Summit

Posted January 17, 2008 - 06:41 AM

Trust me.

Replace your Hot start nut.

Yup. The tech at the dealer actually boogered up the plastic one on my bike by trying to turn the carb to rejet. Got it home and it was running funny, found it all stripped and loose and replaced it with the metal one...all good now. Also I'd highly recommend the GYT-R header and muffler, it works so good on my 05 I can't imagine ever riding it without now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.