new throttle tube

5 replies to this topic
  • nap__kxf

Posted January 10, 2008 - 08:02 PM

in need of a new throttle tube and i want an aluminum and i'd also like one with a bearing, but is it worth the extra money for the bearing? and if it is, what brand do you recommend? pro taper makes one for $75.

i have a 07 450 if that makes any difference...

please be helpful here oh yamaha gods. :banghead:

• mmcdan

Posted January 11, 2008 - 06:37 PM

I installed the Pro Taper throttle tube on my bike after a crash broke the stock unit. It fit perfectly and has held up well. I can't say that has added horsepower or makes the bike turn better, but it does give me some piece of mind when I fall on that side and the holes where the throttle cables attach don't wear like the plastic tube. Additionally, with the sealed bearing on the end, I don't have any problems with grip glue locking up the throttle every time I change grips.

Overall, I'm pleased with the product and will buy another next time a break the stock one on one of my other bikes.

Mark

• YamaHonda

Posted January 11, 2008 - 06:56 PM

I bought the one that has cams with different rates for open/closing the throttle. I think the brand is GRS but don't remember for sure. It was a bit more than 75 bucks but you can change the throttle response faster/slower if you want the tube to do more than keeping glue out and holding up against impact damage.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kent Rathgeber

Posted January 11, 2008 - 08:01 PM

Wirtz has a throttle tube with bearing for about 1/2 the price of the ProTaper. I'm waiting for mine to come in.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 11, 2008 - 08:26 PM

I bought a Pro Taper for my cr and I loved it. Want to get another one for my 450. Definitely worth it:thumbsup:

• nap__kxf

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:18 PM

thanks for the input, will go for the protaper. :banghead:

I bought the one that has cams with different rates for open/closing the throttle. I think the brand is GRS but don't remember for sure. It was a bit more than 75 bucks but you can change the throttle response faster/slower if you want the tube to do more than keeping glue out and holding up against impact damage.

i saw those but i don't really want to mess with that, afraid it'll mess me up when it comes to the technical stuff or hillclimbing...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.