feeler gauges? where to get them and what size?

19 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:32 PM

I have been trying to find some feeler gauges so I can check the valves in my 06 450f. I bought some before from advance but the sizes are wrong.....either to big or to small. I need some metric sizes like .10,.15,.20 and so on and are they a certain type you must get like the long and flat kind or the type that is bent at the end. Ive seen some in at bike shops but I dont know which size to get since you have to buy each one size indiviually.

• 642MX

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:42 PM

I bought a set from Autozone. Its just a cheap set, but they get the job done. :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2008 - 08:51 PM

Most inexpensive English feeler gauges are marked with the metric size as well. The metric sizes will be in odd numbers. The .004" will be marked as .102mm, and can be used as a .10 with no problem. Likewise, the .006, .008, and .010 are all close enough to use.

There's no point in spending a bunch of money on a metric set when an ordinary $4 set of 4 inch standard gauges will do the job.

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 11, 2008 - 03:21 AM

Ditto the above. Keep the shiny with light oil or silicone to keep them from rusting, at least if you're in a humid environment like S FL. :banghead:

• BBrown626

Posted January 11, 2008 - 07:14 AM

There's no point in spending a bunch of money on a metric set when an ordinary $4 set of 4 inch standard gauges will do the job.

I couldn't get the cheap ones to fit the middle and left valve on my intake ('04 450) and cutting the gauges didn't make sense. The motion pro tappet gauges fit very easy and I think they are well worth the money. I haven't been able to get the one for the intake though because they are always sold out.

I also have a set of metric feeler gauges that is intended for checking valves so it has just the sizes you need. I bought it at 3-Bros KTM in Temecula. They are narrow, tapered gauges about 4" long and work very well (~$8).

• BBrown626

Posted January 11, 2008 - 07:20 AM

I have been trying to find some feeler gauges so I can check the valves in my 06 450f. I bought some before from advance but the sizes are wrong.....either to big or to small. I need some metric sizes like .10,.15,.20 and so on and are they a certain type you must get like the long and flat kind or the type that is bent at the end. Ive seen some in at bike shops but I dont know which size to get since you have to buy each one size indiviually.

Where to get them? Sears has a selection that includes metric and long tapered ones (out of stock when I checked our local mall). I checked a few auto stores and they all had metric, but not narrow and not always thin enough. I think some are for points or spark plugs. Lowes even has the Kobalt sets, but again not narrow enough. All the bike shops in my area carried some sort, but the Motion Pros or long tapered ones were flying off the shelf before I could get there, until I tried the KTM dealer. They had a great set with, I think, 1.0, 1.2, 1.5, 1.7, 2.0.

The two Motion Pro larger sizes are all you should need: 1.0/1.5 (intakes) and 1.5 - 2.0 (exhaust). Pricey but worth it I think. You don't need to know if they are 1.155 you just need to know if they are in specs. You can't shim to those values anyhow, just .05 mm increments as your adjustment table indicates.

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2008 - 07:57 AM

I couldn't get the cheap ones to fit the middle and left valve on my intake ('04 450) and cutting the gauges didn't make sense.

I have never had a problem getting the standard 1/2 x 3.5" gauges into any tappet except the center intake on my old 250F. But trimming the gauges is no problem. It can be done with a decent pair of scissors. People worry about the cut edge affecting the readings taken, but the fact is that you are never supposed to run the gauge edge between the parts, anyway.

However, if I had found a good full set for $8 when I was looking, I would have bought them, but I didn't, so I just used what I already had.

• SXP

Posted January 11, 2008 - 08:53 AM

The two Motion Pro larger sizes are all you should need: 1.0/1.5 (intakes) and 1.5 - 2.0 (exhaust)

That's not right. It should be Intake between 0.10-0.15 mm and Exhaust between 0.20-0.25 mm.

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:32 AM

That's not right. It should be Intake between 0.10-0.15 mm and Exhaust between 0.20-0.25 mm.

That's correct (.10-.15 & .20-.25). I missed that.

It's also true that having only the gauges at the limit of the specs will only tell you whether the valves are in or out of spec. If you do find them tight, you'll need to be able to measure the actual clearance in order to select shims to correct them.

• WR_Dave

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:41 AM

http://www.drapertoo...?pp_skmno=73970
http://www.drapertoo...?pp_skmno=73988

I had a friend pick these up for me when he was in England over the holidays and they are great. I wish I had gotten these too. http://www.drapertoo...?pp_skmno=19613 Tapered to fit in almost any tight spot like the center intake valve. I got the standard and the metric. I can't believe this tapered style isn't available over here in North America. :banghead: WR Dave.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wes Woodin

Posted January 11, 2008 - 10:47 AM

Sears craftsman. I'm using my Dads who passed away 5 almost 6 years ago. I've seen them around since as long as I can remember. They have to be 35 years old at least. Still work great though.

• SXP

Posted January 11, 2008 - 11:46 AM

http://www.drapertoo...?pp_skmno=73970
http://www.drapertoo...?pp_skmno=73988

I had a friend pick these up for me when he was in England over the holidays and they are great. I wish I had gotten these too. http://www.drapertoo...?pp_skmno=19613 Tapered to fit in almost any tight spot like the center intake valve. I got the standard and the metric. I can't believe this tapered style isn't available over here in North America. :banghead: WR Dave.

RaceTech used to carry Draper tools. I bought a set of the tapered gauges from them a couple of years ago. I see they have discontinued carrying them now.

• todds924

Posted January 11, 2008 - 05:16 PM

I have never had a problem getting the standard 1/2 x 3.5" gauges into any tappet except the center intake on my old 250F. But trimming the gauges is no problem. It can be done with a decent pair of scissors. People worry about the cut edge affecting the readings taken, but the fact is that you are never supposed to run the gauge edge between the parts, anyway.

However, if I had found a good full set for $8 when I was looking, I would have bought them, but I didn't, so I just used what I already had.

+2 on trimming the guage to get that middle valve.....Thats what i do too:thumbsup: I got a set of Snap on guages for 12.00. Those motion pro feeler guages wont take the daily use and the blades that are rivited on the end of the handle is way to short.

• husqy360

Posted January 21, 2009 - 03:14 AM

Hi
so i got a feeler gauge but i only have 0.10(.004) , 0.13 (.005), 0.15(.006), 0.20(.008), 0.28(.0.11) mm.
can i check the exhaust valve with it? or i should get a diffrent 1 from my lbs
thanks

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2009 - 07:22 AM

Obviously, you will not be able to tell if the exhaust valve is loose by .001" or .002", but frankly, that is less likely than their being tight, so those gauges are functional (barely) for checking whether they are in spec. The problem is going to be on the intake side if ever they get tighter than .10mm. You are not going to be able to tell how much tighter they are, or what shim to use to correct them.

• husqy360

Posted January 21, 2009 - 12:08 PM

Obviously, you will not be able to tell if the exhaust valve is loose by .001" or .002", but frankly, that is less likely than their being tight, so those gauges are functional (barely) for checking whether they are in spec. The problem is going to be on the intake side if ever they get tighter than .10mm. You are not going to be able to tell how much tighter they are, or what shim to use to correct them.

ok sound good.
i have many more smaller sizes, i just written the ones i was thinking nedded.
thanks alot gray.
i dont know what we whould do without you. :lol:

:lol: :banana:

• loudarbs

Posted January 21, 2009 - 12:10 PM

Be careful on the cheap gauges as far as quality goes. I recently got a tapered leaf set off ebay and a couple of the leafs were not quite accurate when measured with a good set of digital calipers. What lead me to measure for accuracy was when I was measuring a clearance it would easily take .005 and a .007(very tight) but not a .006. Upon close inspection with a magnifying glass there was a bur at the tip of the .006.

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2009 - 12:29 PM

Be careful on the cheap gauges as far as quality goes. I recently got a tapered leaf set off ebay and a couple of the leafs were not quite accurate when measured with a good set of digital calipers. What lead me to measure for accuracy was when I was measuring a clearance it would easily take .005 and a .007(very tight) but not a .006. Upon close inspection with a magnifying glass there was a bur at the tip of the .006.

Calipers are a poor choice of tool to verify feeler gauges with for the same reason that the edge of a feeler gauge should never be used for measuring gaps. The edge of the gauge blade is often distorted by the stamping operation by which they are typically created, and can either be larger or smaller than the labeled size. Most people would have the jaws of a pair of calipers crossing over that edge, potentially interfering with the accuracy of their work. Micrometers are more trustworthy and accurate.

I wouldn't trust a set of gauges from the 99 cent bin, but the $4 set I got at the auto parts store is fine. One of the real differences between the low cost sets and a premium set like the Snap-On is that the better tools will have had their edges burnished already when you buy them. But, you can do that yourself.

• husqy360

Posted January 22, 2009 - 09:56 AM

ok so my 9.99 feeler gauge work great.
just finish and all valves are just like they left the dealer.(i payed $200 6 month ago to do this 30 min first timer job).

so happy :banana:

• atropine

Posted January 22, 2009 - 08:53 PM

i got my set at pitposse.com

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.