New to the club!

25 replies to this topic
  • spaceyd

Posted January 10, 2008 - 04:12 PM

Hello! I'm new here to this forum. I just made a deal with my buddy to sell me his 86 xr600. I saw it about 2 years ago and asked him how much he would sell it for. Finally last week he gave in and told me to name a price. The bike is in great condition and has been taken really good care of. I think it has less than 6500 miles on it and I would be the 3rd owner. The first to are both mechanics who are fanatics about maintenence! I looked on E-bay and Craigslist and figured 850 would be a low but fair offer. He agreed and I should get time to pick it up from his storage shed(where he keeps it in the winter) in the next couple of weeks! I can't wait!! Clear title and ready to plate with 2 sets of wheels and tires, on and off road.

So what do you guys think? Did I get a deal? What are the things to watch with these bikes? Any suggestions are welcome! As soon as I get it I'll post some Pics!!
Thanks in advance
Ryan :banghead:

• cleonard

Posted January 10, 2008 - 04:18 PM

$850 is a great deal for a clean bike.

Be kind to the trans on that bike and always use the clutch when shifting. 2sd and 3rd gears are a known problem for an 86, but usually only on high mileage bikes.

• spaceyd

Posted January 10, 2008 - 04:22 PM

Is there a fix for the trans if and when it does fail?

• philipstjohn

Posted January 10, 2008 - 04:43 PM

Is there a fix for the trans if and when it does fail?

a rebuild might work?

• AtomicGeo

Posted January 10, 2008 - 06:11 PM

You did get a good price.:banghead:

• Maroast

Posted January 10, 2008 - 06:16 PM

Congrads on the new bike!!! :banghead:

Now the moding starts!!!!....piston, cam, carb, exhaust, suspension....... it never ends!!!!!!!!!!!! :busted:

• Thumpmeister

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:53 PM

Is this bike a dual carb? I can't remember what year they stopped...

Cleonard is right about the bottom end on these bikes. If the bike doesn't want to start, don't sit there and kick and kick and kick and kick. I have had a few mid-80's XR's and XL's, and the bottom ends don't hold up as well as the newer and older XR's/XL's. I have had 3 different bikes where the bottom end was toast, either from someone else (2), and one from me (oops)...

Anyway, its a good bike, and makes more than enough power...

• juicebox

Posted January 10, 2008 - 10:38 PM

yeah, way to go! I just got a 97 a few months ago and I still have not been able to take it out for a ride. :banghead: hopefully soon though.

• martinfan30

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:28 AM

Good score!

• spaceyd

Posted January 12, 2008 - 01:56 PM

I'm really excited to get it!! I don't know yet if it's got two or just one carb. I'll look when I get it this week! As far as the mods and wrenching goes.....I can't wait!! I have a few toys and never enough spare time to keep them all running, that's why it will be nice to add another honda to my collection! But my all time wish, I just saw on E-bay last month, a cr500 that was street legal:worthy: That would be incredible! But I'll take the xr for my street machine. I'll post back as soon as I get it!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • danny v

Posted January 12, 2008 - 10:02 PM

Congrats on your new bike ! I just bought mine 3 mos. ago. its a 98 XR600R it makes one heck of a great "scooter" plated !There great fun. Thanks for the heads up on the CR500 (street) I am going to check it out I spent years on that bike and could not get it street legal here in ca. Good Luck :banghead:

• spaceyd

Posted January 13, 2008 - 08:48 AM

Funny enough that is where it was for sale at! CA!!:banghead:

• spaceyd

Posted January 13, 2008 - 04:47 PM

Just got off the phone with my friend! I'm getting it tomorrow after he gets off from work! I hope the weather isn't too bad!

• creeky

Posted January 13, 2008 - 06:33 PM

Heres some '86 XR600 pix you might like.

http://www.bikepics....600/86/pics.asp

• spaceyd

Posted January 13, 2008 - 08:06 PM

I know! The Picture of the two SM's having a face off has been making my drool for the last week!!!:banghead:

• spaceyd

Posted January 14, 2008 - 03:59 PM

:banghead: I got it!! But it turned out to be an XL600r. Still in great shape! Just needs some cleaning! Pics are in my garage so check it out and let me know what you think!

• Old Graybeard

Posted January 16, 2008 - 02:20 PM

Welcome & congrates!. Let the tinkering begin.

Fellow Buckeye....OGB

• spaceyd

Posted January 17, 2008 - 06:56 AM

So I was itchin to go for a ride so yesterday after work I took it for a spin! WOW!!! What a fun bike! I didn't think it would be as fast a turquey as it was! I got cold pretty quick but was having so much fun I stayed out for about an hour! When I got home I was thinking about heated grips and seat!!! All in all I'm really happy with this bike. I think the first thing on the list is a pipe of some sort. Anyone recommend any? :cool:

• martinfan30

Posted January 17, 2008 - 08:20 AM

I really like anything from WB. Also look at XR's full system. If you want the ultimate(non-packable muffler) go with staintune. That setup is over 8 bills.

• spaceyd

Posted January 17, 2008 - 08:27 AM

Wasn't thinking of 8 bills!!! But I want a free flowing but not too loud exhaust.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.