What floor to put on a 4x8 folding trailer?

15 replies to this topic
  • AEsco48

Posted January 10, 2008 - 04:00 PM

What type of floor would you guys suggest i put on my 4x8 folding trailer, 95% of the time it will only have 1 bike, max of 2 bikes...

Something that will last a long time and wont rust...wood, Al diamond plate?

Thanks!

Posted Image

• ORrooster

Posted January 10, 2008 - 04:11 PM

Painted steel grate.

• usmcpaul

Posted January 10, 2008 - 04:16 PM

If I had unlimited funds I would do the Al diamond plate, however treated wood will last a long time, is easy to bolt things to just in case you want to make changes for different loads.

Al diamond plate is not cheap these days.

• Chickenhauler

Posted January 10, 2008 - 04:20 PM

The best choice for these folding trailers is 3/4" Treated CDX Plywood. It adds structural rigidity to the frame, helps prevent torsional twisting, and is long lasting.

THe downer of the expanded metal idea is it has approx 0 resistance to flexing (and these little trailers are flexier than a yoga instructor on their own).

The downside of Aluminum plate is when it gets wet, it gets slicker than snot, especially in riding boots, etc.

• ORrooster

Posted January 10, 2008 - 04:38 PM

The downside of Aluminum plate is when it gets wet, it gets slicker than snot, especially in riding boots, etc.

That particullarly is why I wouldn't use it. Wood would be my second choice (only 1 opinion).

• LeadDoggy

Posted January 10, 2008 - 04:43 PM

I used 3/4 plywood on mine, treated with a watersealer. Been holding up nicely for being out in the weather.

• vetteguy

Posted January 10, 2008 - 05:36 PM

I used 3/4 plywood on mine, treated with a watersealer. Been holding up nicely for being out in the weather.

Same here. I don't have my trailer anymore but that is what I did and it worked great. Guy

• newblood

Posted January 11, 2008 - 02:26 AM

anybody tried using that composite decking material (maintenance free)

• pfunk

Posted January 11, 2008 - 05:58 AM

+ if you use al plate you have to run stainless everything else or it will corrode fast

• 2006wr450f

Posted January 11, 2008 - 08:24 AM

On mine I have 3/4 plywood and it works great.

Posted Image
Posted Image

• Mr-Xtreme

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:03 AM

Though not the cheapest solution, I decked mine with exterior grade plywood that has been coated with Herculiner. $75 a gallon! That gallon will just barely cover a 4x8 sheet with 1 coat on the bottom, 2 coats on the top, and extra coating on the edges. Perfect non-skid surface. And it will probably last a long time as the plywood is now encapsulated in urethane.

For an aluminum deck there is a new non-skid tread plate available. When my deck wears out this will be its replacement (if the trailer doesn't rust away first!).

http://www.imsmetals...mtreadplate.pdf

It's the same price as the old pattern tread plate. IMS has 4x4 sheets in 3 thicknesses (0.65, 0.10, 0.125), priced at $3.94 per pound if I remember correctly.

• pfunk

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:29 AM

wow, thats a lot of money considering the recycle rate is about a buck a pound for high grade. Im sure it can be had for less. I allways order metal by the ton rate. depending on th material, you can expect to save 40-60%. In other words, get a bunch of buddies and head dow to the city and get a ton from the manufacturer. some places will only sell to a business, so have a tax ID number ready, or see if they will charge tax for you. because at 4 bucks a pound, at a light guage your looking at 200+ per sheet. Its been a while since I ordered steel/aluminum (like 2 years) and by the pound aluminum wasnt close to that much, even the price of diamond 1/8 cold forged steel (structural grade) it ended up being 20 bucks a sheet (4x8)
youll see a lot of middle man steel shops that order it from central places and cut it and make a killing

• Mr-Xtreme

Posted January 11, 2008 - 10:56 AM

You're right that it's probably not the cheapest way of getting metal. I think IMS is the only distributor in my area with that particular non-skid tread plate.

It would cost about $180 to cover a 4x8 trailer with 0.10 thick tread plate which is only about $80 more than what my plywood/Herculiner deck cost. If I were to do it again, I'd pay the 80 bucks.

Also I don't know 45 guys that want to deck their trailers, to get me to the ton rate :banghead:

• pfunk

Posted January 11, 2008 - 11:06 AM

a lot of times, you really dont have to order one ton, exspecially in aluminum or specialty steel (weird cross sections)

• PumpkinHumper

Posted January 11, 2008 - 11:07 AM

The best choice for these folding trailers is 3/4" Treated CDX Plywood. It adds structural rigidity to the frame, helps prevent torsional twisting, and is long lasting.

THe downer of the expanded metal idea is it has approx 0 resistance to flexing (and these little trailers are flexier than a yoga instructor on their own).

Yep thats what is on my flat trailer. Been on there for probably 10 years now and still going strong. I hit it with water sealer about 2 years ago just to freshin it up a little. So far so good. It sits out in the rain all the time so that water sealer must be doing its job.

• damone

Posted January 11, 2008 - 11:52 AM

I have some 3/4" CDX plywood that has been in the rain for 4 years now with virtually no signs of wear. It was given to me and I was told it was near $100 a sheet. I believe it cuz I got a 7/8" sheet of regular plywood to fill around my windows and it was $60 a sheet.

the remainder of that sheet has gone a long way to making leveling boards for my ToyHauler.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.