Tusk Oil Filters

41 replies to this topic
  • BASSic

Posted January 10, 2008 - 12:43 PM

I bought some parts from Rocky Mountain MC and decided to pick up a Tusk First Line oil filter to see if they're any good.

I just got the package, and by the looks of this filter I don't want it anywhere near my YZ426! There's no paper filter media, instead it's just a cylinder of a fine steel mesh. It's nothing like a stainless steel reusable filter - just a hollow cylinder with a fine steel mesh around the outside. Has anyone used these filters? Any opinions/comments?

By the looks of this filter, Yamaha OEM is the way to go.

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2008 - 02:41 PM

So it's not pleated mesh, just a simple screen? No thank you. Send it back, if the postage isn't more than the filter. Buy a Scotts and never buy a filter again.

• BASSic

Posted January 10, 2008 - 04:31 PM

Yes, just a simple screen:

Posted Image

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted January 10, 2008 - 05:53 PM

Yep, I bought one too, just to see. It is still sitting on my shelf until I have someone p1ss me off, then I will give them a gift! Most Tusk stuff is OK, but these filters are a joke! Especially with the task they have to perform :banghead:

• 642MX

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:12 PM

I've used them before with no problems. I've cleaned them with carb clean and even reused them. Maybe (probably) isn't the best filter, but they will work.

With that said, I now have a Ready oil filter (SS) with the black cover. It seems to be working fine. And the black cover looks nice! :banghead:

• mxchamps

Posted January 11, 2008 - 07:26 AM

They work great. All the ones I have bought are paper type filters with the exception of the one I had for my 426. I did notice it was identical to the K&N filter though. I trust K&N and theirs is the same. If you nitice the screen is super fine. Is anything significant going to get by it? Never did on my old bike. I think it filtered better than the Scotts reusable I had.

• zdylanh

Posted January 11, 2008 - 07:41 AM

I have used these filters ever since they came out. I have never had any problems with them. I ride every weekend and put alot of hard hours on my machine. They seem to do exactly what they are supposed too, can you ask for anything else? I think they are great and you can't beat it for the price.

Posted January 11, 2008 - 07:54 AM

Are we talking about the paper ones they show on their website or a ss?
http://www.rockymoun...atv.com/home.do

• creeker

Posted January 11, 2008 - 08:01 AM

I have used them before too and they work fine... actually they work much better than the reusable Ready Filter I have on there now.

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2008 - 08:14 AM

I think it filtered better than the Scotts reusable I had.

... actually they work much better than the reusable Ready Filter I have on there now.

Do you have an oil analysis to support that? What was the largest particle you found in your filtered sample?

Even if the mesh did limit passed particles to the same 35μ absolute size, pleating the media more than quadruples the amount of media surface the filter has, and thus the amount of debris it can trap before clogging, as well as the amount oil oil it can flow without a significant pressure drop.

To the naked eye, the mesh in the OEM brass filters appears quite fine, also, but in fact, it is more than twice as coarse as that in a Scotts (80μ vs. 35μ)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BBrown626

Posted January 11, 2008 - 08:38 AM

I bought some parts from Rocky Mountain MC and decided to pick up a Tusk First Line oil filter to see if they're any good.

I just got the package, and by the looks of this filter I don't want it anywhere near my YZ426! There's no paper filter media, instead it's just a cylinder of a fine steel mesh. It's nothing like a stainless steel reusable filter - just a hollow cylinder with a fine steel mesh around the outside. Has anyone used these filters? Any opinions/comments?

By the looks of this filter, Yamaha OEM is the way to go.

OEM is ridiculously overpriced!

I tried the Tusk without complaint, and without some detailed analysis. I normally pick up the hiflowfiltro from cycle gear (I get a discount there). With the frequency of changes the price add ups quickly for any disposable in comparison to a cleanable filter. I intend to switch when my remaining supply of Tusk and HiFlows is depleated (no pun intended).

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:28 AM

OEM is ridiculously overpriced! With the frequency of changes the price add ups quickly for any disposable in comparison to a cleanable filter. I intend to switch when my remaining supply of Tusk and HiFlows is depleated (no pun intended).

What makes you say that $15 for an oil filter is overpriced?? :banghead: :busted:

At $2 each (an God knows what kind of quality you'd get for that price), it would take 33 oil changes to match the price of a Scotts. I do 20 or so in a year, so it takes me 20 months to hit the pay off point with a Scotts vs. bulk cheapies. The Scotts in my '03 is more than 4 years old.

Additionally, I never have to concern myself with whether I have a filter handy when it comes time to change the oil, and I can have a clean filter on every change, as you should.

Apart from that, I simply think the Scotts is a better filter than the fiber media ("paper") filters:

http://www.thumperta...297#post4676297

• creeker

Posted January 11, 2008 - 10:47 AM

Do you have an oil analysis to support that? What was the largest particle you found in your filtered sample?

Even if the mesh did limit passed particles to the same 35μ absolute size, pleating the media more than quadruples the amount of media surface the filter has, and thus the amount of debris it can trap before clogging, as well as the amount oil oil it can flow without a significant pressure drop.

To the naked eye, the mesh in the OEM brass filters appears quite fine, also, but in fact, it is more than twice as coarse as that in a Scotts (80μ vs. 35μ)

Nope gray... I sure don't. I guess I should have said, MY OPINION IS these filters work just as well as the Ready Filter I have now. :banghead:

• BASSic

Posted January 11, 2008 - 11:02 AM

Wow, I seemed to have opened up a can of worms. Some people love these, others don't.

I purchased the regular disposable Tusk "First Line" oil filter for my YZ426. It was $5.99. Despite the website pictures showing paper-type filters, the filters I got do not look like that. See the first page of this thread for a picture of what I bought.

I don't know how well they work, but just from the looks of it they're not top quality. While they may work well for some people, I'm not about to find out for myself.

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2008 - 11:05 AM

Are you sure there isn't a pleated "paper" element under the mesh? Something has to be holding the two end frames apart. If there is, it would be a sort of two-stage filter, which wouldn't be too bad a thing, except it would still be subject to question on it's ability to pass an adequate flow of cold oil without bypassing.

• BASSic

Posted January 11, 2008 - 02:33 PM

Are you sure there isn't a pleated "paper" element under the mesh? Something has to be holding the two end frames apart. If there is, it would be a sort of two-stage filter, which wouldn't be too bad a thing, except it would still be subject to question on it's ability to pass an adequate flow of cold oil without bypassing.

It's not a 2-stage filter - just a flat mesh. Just four pieces of (steel?) holding the two end frames apart.

The Yamaha OEM filter has brass pleated mesh with several strips of (steel?) holding the end frames. The OEM mesh is slightly thicker, and it's pleated which provides a lot more surface area.

At $12 a pop for OEM from the dealer, the Scott's SS will pay off in no time.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted January 12, 2008 - 09:30 AM

There is no secondary layer and no pleating. The pleating gives the filter structural support and keeps the shape. The Tusk is a flimsy filter, who is to say it won't collapse at some point??? It has minimal surface area which could quickly become plugged with shavings if something went awry in the engine. Before the next oil change you could potentially collapse the filter, then suck in a lot of metal, right???

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2008 - 09:45 AM

There is no secondary layer and no pleating. The pleating gives the filter structural support and keeps the shape. The Tusk is a flimsy filter, who is to say it won't collapse at some point??? It has minimal surface area which could quickly become plugged with shavings if something went awry in the engine. Before the next oil change you could potentially collapse the filter, then suck in a lot of metal, right???

That all sounds right to me. :banghead: :busted:

• 642MX

Posted January 12, 2008 - 04:28 PM

I've never seen or heard about an oil filter collapsing.....:banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2008 - 05:11 PM

I have, several times.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.