Running Poorly

3 replies to this topic
  • finglan

Posted October 14, 2002 - 02:44 AM

My bike has about 400 miles on the following jetting: DVP needle #5 position, 165 mj, 38 pj. I switched to this jetting after going to yz timing. The bike has always run great and started on the first kick.
On Sat. The bike ran fine but each time I shut it down it was harder and harder to start. Once started it ran fine. Until I messed w/the pilot screw. Then it ran very lean and idled high. If I tried to turn the idle down it would just stall. In the end I could only get it to start w/the hot start on and turn the idle up. I changed the plug w/the same results.
I diassembled the carb and cleaned it. The air filter was fine, not over oiled. I have only had the bike out on a few short street runs in the past two months.
There was alot of mud and crap in the tps connector straped to the frame. The carb was spotless except a little crud in the tps cover but in my opinion not enough to make it run bad. I have not had a chance to test the bike yet. When I do it will be on a fresh tank of gas.

Does anyone know, if the tps connector had a bad connection would I experience these symtoms. I have had the bike out in temps from the 40s to the 90s w/out any problems. Sat. was about 65 degrees. I don't see how it could be a jetting problem.

• Superchicken

Posted October 14, 2002 - 06:09 AM

Hey Tim,

You were wondering how my carb was set up, this is what the guy who sold it to me recalled:

Needle: EKP 4th clip
Main: 170
Pilot: 48
Pilot: Air 100

Hope you can get it sorted soon.

Btw, I got my bike inspected this morning at the Mobile- I'm fully legal now! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • finglan

Posted October 15, 2002 - 02:28 PM

OK, I tested and it fired up on the first kick w/the choke on. It ran great and started several times on the first kick right after shutting it down. If I waited several minutes I had the same starting problems. The only way I could get it started was to pull in the decomp lever, kick through several times, pull the hot start and turn up the idle. A little gas ran out of the carb overflow line. I assume because of all the kicking. I did check the float level which was fine.

Don't know if this can be related, but I also fried my Baja Designs voltage regulator. The signals would not blink if the bike was running. They blinked fine when the bike was shut down. I tested the regulator and it is putting out AC voltage. Now the signals won't blink when the bike is not running. I think the flasher fried also from the AC voltage.

Anyone have this type of starting problems? I could not find a problem w/the carb.

Is there something in the electrical system that effects the starting circuit?

• Bill

Posted October 16, 2002 - 12:28 AM

Tim,

The "D" taper is better suited to WR timing. Try to find an EKP.

Bill

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.