2000 WR400 Jetting Quest

1 reply to this topic
  • zmr

Posted April 08, 2002 - 08:33 PM

After running Stock (mostly) since I bought the bike (new) and having rode some other friends bikes (mostly KTM's) etc... that dont have the off idle-stumble like mine I thought I'd finally make it right. (Its always been this way)

I ride 100% single track Mtn trails/climbs. Mostly 1000' - 3000'. Mid-late summer there will be some higher elevation rides (3500-6000ft) so Ideally dont want to have to chg jetting up higher, but will listen to the experts...

I have the stock spark plug still in-never had to touch it. Starts 2nd or 3rd kick when cold, 1st when warm. Reliability/Dependability has been Excellent!

Airbox lid off, stock header & pipe w/Vortip insert.

Above 1/4 throttle rips good, but off idle will bog/die if I blip throttle too much/quick. So can be tricky lifting front wheel over trees etc...
Overall would like to improve low/mid range torque since thats is where my throttle is the majority of the time and eliminate the off-idle bog.

From the book, my current stock jetting is:
MJ #165
PJ #42
OBDRS 3rd Clip
WR Timing

I just bought one of those Kouba fuel screws to make on the fly adjusting easier-have not tried it yet. http://www.koubalink.../fuelscrew.html
(WR400 version is different from pic)

TIA!!!!

[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: zmr ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • endurodog

Posted April 08, 2002 - 08:41 PM

From what you posted, one of the best things you could do to increase performance is to put a new plug in. Over time the electrode edge rounds off and the spark can not maintain the same intensity. The plug is a few dollars and can make a difference. You should consider a new one.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.