'88-'89 XR 600 Rear sprocket swap?

4 replies to this topic
  • BMEPdoc

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:59 AM

Hi gentlemen,
Upon first glance - It appears the only difference between the ('88-90) rear sprockets and the later ('91-on) ones is the countersinking of the mounting bolts making it possible to swap with only a bolt change. Can someone please verify this. - Thanks

• BMEPdoc

Posted January 11, 2008 - 01:24 AM

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • absynth01

Posted January 11, 2008 - 07:57 AM

Got an '89 and know it is a bitch to get rear sprockets. Not many make options for these years. I can't use this rim on my other machines due to the drum brake, so I haven't checked the sprocket swaps. I will check since most of my hondas are interchangeable.
notice right away the 89' sprocket is "cupped"
might be able to use the other hardware on this rim

• BMEPdoc

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:19 AM

Hmmm...okay...I don't know what you mean by cupped but, if I remember correctly the hub diameter and everything including the bolt pattern are identical to the later '91-on disc brake bikes. The early bikes have a recessed undercut for a shouldered sprocket bolt - where it appears the later bikes have a more conventional tapered type.

I'd appreciate if anyone out there with both types could confirm this as I'd then be able to just purchase a set of tapered bolts and the sprocket for a later machine which is much easier to find. - Thanks :banghead:

• Bennito

Posted January 11, 2008 - 06:46 PM

I ordered a PBI rear for my 92 (xr600) and got a sprocket with a flat, countersunk, hole for the mounting bolts. Odd as the sprocket I pulled off had the newer tapered bolts and tapered countersink on the sprocket. I found that off the shelf 10.9 bolt heads would fit into the PBI sprocket. Then I worried about the hardness. later I saw MSR's replacement bolts were grade 10 (point 9).

Then I went to a local shop and asked for sprocket for my 92. got again, a flat milled out area (not tapered). Odd. Then I asked for one with that bolt pattern, but with tapered heads. Think I ended up getting one for a 650 (dunno if it was an L or an R. L would be my guess). Ahh, I was getting smart. I took the sprocket with tapered holes home and then found I couldn't put the old tapered bolts thru (bolt was too large in diameter for the sprockets holes). I should've taken the sprocket back. Instead I drilled out the holes and installed the sprocket on my bike. Few hundred miles later, its holding up well.

Sorry for the wall of text. Point being, for my 92 (and I would guess for all later 600s, since there is nothing in the notes about a change in bolts) I had the same issues you're going thru.

Good luck

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.