Tire change drama

32 replies to this topic
  • Polar_Bus

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:09 AM

Me either. I don't even know many tubes I've pinched. But the upside is that I only vaguely recall the last tube I ruined. Doesn't happen very often any more.

Last year I pinched a tube, really didn't know why. I've been changing tires the same way since the ol' days of Hi Point "Red Dot" tires....

anyway, I am a little pissed, so i get a second tube. Now, because I am pissed, I am not being patient..... and guess what...... :busted: :banghead:

I was so mad, I bought and tried one of those foam Bib Mousse tubes......cripes, what a unbelievable PIA battle to get that thing mounted and set! Then I sold the bike.... never again i'll stick with pinching tubes LOL.

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:45 AM

Yeah. THIS must have been fun:

When I bough my second '06, it still had the OEM 739 on the front, so naturally, I was out to get rid of that as fast as I could. When I pulled the tire off, what did I find but one of those ultra-heavy duty tubes that comes in a shoe box, and weighs as much as a tire.....in a 110x90/19 size. That had to be done on a tire machine, or by a very determined tech. I would loved to have seen that happen.

BTW, it turns out that both tubes were replaced with HD's at the same time. I found the 21" tube in the back wheel when I wore the 756 out. :banghead:

• BergArabia

Posted January 11, 2008 - 08:58 PM

I have heard those diet coke third world tire irons inherantly pinch tubes very easy. :banghead:

You would have thunk the mechanic would have put the tire out in the hot DESERT sun to warm it up a bit.......
:busted:

Will warming the tire make it easier?
It is varying between 55 and 70 degrees here now..

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:18 PM

Yes it will. Leave it in the sun for an hour or so.

• BergArabia

Posted January 13, 2008 - 12:00 PM

Any problems using the tire machine on these spoked wheels?

• grayracer513

Posted January 13, 2008 - 02:00 PM

Not if it was made for motorcycle wheels. Most of them are just tire mounting stands that hold the wheel and use special "irons" to simplify the process, anyway.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • joethunder

Posted January 13, 2008 - 07:25 PM

The transworld motocross videos are great. What a difference the right technique makes. :banghead:

• todds924

Posted January 13, 2008 - 10:04 PM

Not if it was made for motorcycle wheels. Most of them are just tire mounting stands that hold the wheel and use special "irons" to simplify the process, anyway.

We use the Coats "rim clamp" machine at the shop. Very painless to change a tire...the machine does all the work....However........It will still pinch a tube. It will not scratch a rim unless your really trying to do it. When you have changed a million tires.really all you need is a GOOD set of irons...and a 35 gallon drum to throw the wheel on... I can change one almost as fast by hand as on the machine. My suggestion is to buy a few tubes and dig in. The learning curve isn't that steep. Come on, it will be fun!!!!!

• BergArabia

Posted January 14, 2008 - 08:46 AM

We use the Coats "rim clamp" machine at the shop. Very painless to change a tire...the machine does all the work....However........It will still pinch a tube. It will not scratch a rim unless your really trying to do it. When you have changed a million tires.really all you need is a GOOD set of irons...and a 35 gallon drum to throw the wheel on... I can change one almost as fast by hand as on the machine. My suggestion is to buy a few tubes and dig in. The learning curve isn't that steep. Come on, it will be fun!!!!!

Thanks Todds for the encouragement.
I definitely think it is doable using the technique in the video.
In the end I did get my other tire on without a pinched tube. (different shop, and they did use a special bike tire machine) but I helped the guy do it so I got a good idea how that process works (with the machine). (15 bucks)..
Thanks all for the input.. Worked well..
Here is my new tire..
Posted Image

• todds924

Posted January 14, 2008 - 10:40 AM

Thanks Todds for the encouragement.
I definitely think it is doable using the technique in the video.
In the end I did get my other tire on without a pinched tube. (different shop, and they did use a special bike tire machine) but I helped the guy do it so I got a good idea how that process works (with the machine). (15 bucks)..
Thanks all for the input.. Worked well..
Here is my new tire..
Posted Image

Now thats a sand tire!!!!!!!!

• Frank_z28

Posted January 15, 2008 - 11:03 AM

One of my ridding buddy was busy and he wanted his tire changed fast so he could ride after is day of work. The shop (Laforge of 7 iles) charged him 125$ to put the tire on and they said "your lucky we didnt pinch the tube else it would have costed more". I dont need to say they lost some customer.

Where i live everything im pretty far away so when you try to negociate a price they always say "if you dont like that price just go in another town to buy it".:banghead:

• BergArabia

Posted January 15, 2008 - 11:14 AM

One of my ridding buddy was busy and he wanted his tire changed fast so he could ride after is day of work. The shop (Laforge of 7 iles) charged him 125$ to put the tire on and they said "your lucky we didnt pinch the tube else it would have costed more". I dont need to say they lost some customer.

Where i live everything im pretty far away so when you try to negociate a price they always say "if you dont like that price just go in another town to buy it".:banghead:

The internet is going to kill that town....

• MotoGoalie

Posted January 15, 2008 - 02:30 PM

Where i live everything im pretty far away so when you try to negociate a price they always say "if you dont like that price just go in another town to buy it".:busted:

Mail that tire to me and I'll mount it for 100$. I'll even pay the shipping back to you.:banghead: :ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.