Tire change drama

32 replies to this topic
  • BergArabia

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:49 AM

I just got the weirdest most random phone call from the bike shop.
The mechanic told me that the new tires (sand snake) had too hard a rubber and he couldn't put them on the bike. He put one tire on but spoiled the tube in so doing so asked me for 30 bucks for a new tube..:ride: :D
Anyways the service manager got on the phone and told me to ignore the call..
I want to ride tomorrow and need one more tire change, I think they close in another hour or so. OK maybe 2 hours..

This is what we call a Doha moment:banghead: :banghead: :busted:

• USED YZ426F

Posted January 10, 2008 - 08:34 AM

Man, I would never call a customer and ask for another 30 bucks to replace something that I damaged. What was he thinking?

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2008 - 08:47 AM

What was he thinking?

He's in the Middle East. Their customer service philosophy over there is, um, different.

• GCannon

Posted January 10, 2008 - 10:01 AM

He's in the Middle East. Their customer service philosophy over there is, um, different.

Apparently their tire changing technique is too!:banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2008 - 10:10 AM

Apparently their tire changing technique is too!:banghead:

Actually, it sounds just like the standard US $8/hr goon method to me. But here the goons don't have the nuts to get on the phone and extort money from the customer.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 10, 2008 - 11:52 AM

hey I guess it could have been worse.....:busted:
Berg - someone rich, like some Sheik needs to drop about a billion metric tons of real dirt over there for you......dirt tires are easier to mount.....:banghead:

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 10, 2008 - 04:17 PM

Get some good tire irons. Changing the tires isn't so bad with the correct irons and proceedure. I think Dirt Rider had a write-up on changing tires some time ago, it was a good read. If the "professional" shop cannot mount tires, then it's time to find a new shop! Certainly don't let them near your bike for anything more important than tires!

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2008 - 05:07 PM

That would have been me, right after I found out that one of my guys called a customer and asked him to pay for a tube the my guy destroyed 'cause he can't mount tires. (what I wouldn't have told you is that I gave him the rest of the day off to think about whether he has a future in the business or not.) I broke customer's stuff "a few times" over the years, but they never had to pay for it.

• PATHPOUNDER

Posted January 10, 2008 - 05:17 PM

buy some Irons and show him how its done.

• adrenalinejunkie

Posted January 10, 2008 - 05:45 PM

This is a good video of how to change a tire easily:

http://www.transworl...1215721,00.html

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BC3

Posted January 10, 2008 - 06:51 PM

In the 40 years I have worked on motorcycles I have no idea how many tires I have changed(not including at the races for 25 years) I have pinched tubes
on customers bikes......But would never tell them..much less ask for more money...What a Dope..

• todds924

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:00 PM

so is 30 dollars for an 8 dollar tube. It pays to be smarter than the tire when mounting.

• todds924

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:03 PM

That would have been me, right after I found out that one of my guys called a customer and asked him to pay for a tube the my guy destroyed 'cause he can't mount tires. (what I wouldn't have told you is that I gave him the rest of the day off to think about whether he has a future in the business or not.) I broke customer's stuff "a few times" over the years, but they never had to pay for it.

That should have gotten him fired. I think everybody has pinched a tube or three in there lifetime. That one should have been put on the shops tab.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:10 PM

Hi.... Captainknobby here at your service!......No really! tire changeing is not that hard....just time consuming but isnt everything else also. Just remember when changing tires is make sure you get the tube all the way in and when putting the tire on just take small bites, I repeat! small bites is the trick and dont put the tire iron all the way in just enough to get it to hold on the rim. The first half of the tire is easy to get on its just the last foot or so around the tire that is hard but if you take small bites you will see how easy it is to change a tire. Remember SMALL BITES!

• BergArabia

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:55 PM

Yeah well that was the end result..
I got only one tire mounted and the shop ate the damage to the tube.
Cost to me.. about 15 dollars. I usually pay about 30 but I think they gave me a discount to make me feel better. The service manager is pretty good. I guess he will be doing some 'training' of the tire changing staff.
Meanwhile I have one tire that didn't get changed. I have to find someone to do it or else as suggested here get some tire irons and try it myself..

• BergArabia

Posted January 10, 2008 - 08:24 PM

Thanks.. I book marked it..:banghead:

• Stupendous

Posted January 10, 2008 - 10:37 PM

Yep. Paid to have a paddle mounted once because I had no idea what to do. Watched the video and I've done 7 changes now. Knowing how saved me once as I was out at the dunes and got a flat. Save quite a bit of $$$$ so far and it'll only grow. And it makes yah feel good :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2008 - 10:52 PM

I have no idea how many tires I have changed

Me either. I don't even know many tubes I've pinched. But the upside is that I only vaguely recall the last tube I ruined. Doesn't happen very often any more.

• hi everybody

Posted January 10, 2008 - 11:57 PM

I would buy the irons and try it myself....it isnt really terrible...even I can do em pretty good now.

now back when me and the buds were only 13-14...and even skinnier...took all three of us to change one rear :banghead:

• Polar_Bus

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:04 AM

I just got the weirdest most random phone call from the bike shop.
The mechanic told me that the new tires (sand snake) had too hard a rubber and he couldn't put them on the bike. He put one tire on but spoiled the tube in so doing so asked me for 30 bucks for a new tube..:ride: :D
I want to ride tomorrow and need one more tire change, I think they close in another hour or so. OK maybe 2 hours..

This is what we call a Doha moment:banghead: :banghead: :busted:

I have heard those diet coke third world tire irons inherantly pinch tubes very easy. :D

You would have thunk the mechanic would have put the tire out in the hot DESERT sun to warm it up a bit.......
:D

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.