New XR650R owner asking for help

8 replies to this topic
  • Knowledge seeker

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:26 AM

I'll try to keep this short & to the point (even though I'm so excited for my new bike after being 20 years off from riding). Yesterday I bought a brand new leftover '05 XR650R. When I took it home from the dealer & turned the fuel petcock on to start it up, it started to spilling gas through one of the vent hoses. Finally when I got it started & took a couple of passes in our farm's dirt roads, I noticed it was leaking engine oil out of the airbox vent. Can anyone guide me on how to fix these problems?. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Roger

• Denn10

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:32 AM

did the fuel stop coming out the vent hoses on carb? that is doing that cuz the float was stuck open so if it doesnt do it anymore its ok, prolly just like that cuz it was sitting for so long empty.

Open up your airbox and look in it, the oil might be from excessive oil on the filter. Ive done that on my bike.

Nothing big to worry bout just gotta take a look. Congrats on the leftover what did ya pay for it?

• bajabinder

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:45 AM

The gas spilling out the carb is either a stuck needle and seat, or the float level is set too high. I'll bet it was stuck from sitting around for a few years unused......did it stop overflowing from the carb?
The oil leaking out the airbox vent is most likely from adding too much engine oil. It is fairly common to overfill the engine oil on these bikes, because of their dry sump design. "I" would drain the oil from the engine and frame, put about 1.5 litres back into it, ride it for about 20 minutes, and then check the level on the dipstick. Of course at this time, you should add more oil until it comes up to the full mark. The BRP takes about 2 litres of oil at oil/filter change, and if you overfill it will blow out the vent line in the airbox.

• Knowledge seeker

Posted January 10, 2008 - 08:17 AM

did the fuel stop coming out the vent hoses on carb? that is doing that cuz the float was stuck open so if it doesnt do it anymore its ok, prolly just like that cuz it was sitting for so long empty.

-Yes, after a while the fuel stopped coming out of the vent hoses. Last night I closed the petcock after riding, is that necessary when you're done riding?.

Nothing big to worry bout just gotta take a look. Congrats on the leftover what did ya pay for it?

-I paid $3500 for it. Here in Puerto Rico where bikes are really expensive (this bike had the original '05 price tag going for $6500), I think I got a good deal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted January 10, 2008 - 10:21 AM

Thats a good price !!!! check your oil to see if its right level, i would do this before just draining. Sweet deal id buy a BNIB for that myself for sure

• Suikerland

Posted January 10, 2008 - 12:50 PM

Mine leaks fuel occasionally from the vent, after I start up the bike it stops leaking. I think it's when the needle gets stuck, the engine vibration shakes it loose. No big deal.
Probably a good habit to turn off the fuel after a ride, when you shut the bike down for the day. If it's for an hour or 2 I leave mine open. I don't think it does any harm either way.

• creeky

Posted January 10, 2008 - 03:26 PM

Definitely turn off the petcock when done riding. Besides making a huge mess, a leaking float valve can cause the crankcase to fill up with gas.

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:54 PM

Welcome aboard! Can we stay at your place, if we come for a ride? :banghead:

• algunn

Posted January 11, 2008 - 02:25 PM

Bring it back to the dealer and tell him to fix it. You bought it brand new and they didn't even run it to make sure everything was OK? BS

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.