Any overheat issues with 650L?

49 replies to this topic
  • tallbiker

Posted October 04, 2008 - 09:04 AM

but basically i wondered if anyone had oversized tank and did street riding primarily and had overheating issues. all exhaust is stock

• Bibleman

Posted October 04, 2008 - 06:16 PM

I have the Clarke 4.7 and did Dave's mods and unless I run sustained speeds above 65 on a hot day I rarely see above 240 on my temp dipstick, usually 225-230.

• ericinmichigan

Posted October 05, 2008 - 02:30 AM

i also purchased the extended warranty. i cut the fender smaller as recommended on TT to add air flow (months ago) . the Warranty is voided because i used the aftermarket tank. the shrouds on the clarke tank are a lesser than the stock shrouds. the oil was changed at 600 and issue at 3500. I was mistaken on 2nd oil change, thought was at every 3000 but in 2006 honda changed it to every 2000.

I don't think that your warranty could be voided by using an aftermarket tank - but perhaps you should throw the stock tank on and bring it to a different dealer who might actually try to help you! :lame: By the way, I'm not sure what shrouds you are talking about with the Clarke tank - I didn't think that the Clarke tanks had shrouds...:lol:

but basically i wondered if anyone had oversized tank and did street riding primarily and had overheating issues. all exhaust is stock

I use the 5.8 gallon tank from Acerbis. The shape of it acts like the stock shrouds as it directs air onto the engine. Also, I like that fact that it has dual petcocks, so I don't "run out" of gas on one side only! :bonk:

You mentioned that a part in your engine is damaged - what part are you referring to? I really think you should consider going to a different dealer - yours sounds like they are not helping you very much...imho.

Eric

• tallbiker

Posted October 06, 2008 - 05:45 PM

a honda rep has already logged the issue so a different dealer would see
(by VIN) it had the other tank. the non shrouds is what i meant, on the clarke tank they stick a lil plastic jutting out. there are no shrouds. i wanted the acerbis but i had read bad reviews. how does the double petcock work?. i do mostly commuting on the street.

• Bibleman

Posted October 07, 2008 - 04:15 AM

I think after this is all settled, you should get/keep the tank you liike and then add an oil cooler if you think heat will be a problem. That's what I plan on doing.:lame:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flarityj

Posted November 28, 2008 - 10:48 AM

I finally got my SM conversion all done. This is for the 675 Big Bore (done by XR's only) with Mikuni pumper carb and EXTRA COOLING FINS.

The new Vapor Tech computer has a nice temperature sensor. It was 40 outside yesterday and the bike hit 250F in 10 minutes sitting in my driveway. This is with 20W50 Royal Purple oil.

SO, my bike runs DAMN HOT. I will be looking for an oil cooler.

The Vapor Tech computer has an irritating display. I can't get the temperature reading AND the trip meter to display at the same time. They are on different MODE screens. An the Odometer is on a third screen that displays for only 5 seconds. I wonder why they did it that way?

joe

• jjast

Posted November 28, 2008 - 11:43 PM

The Vapor Tech computer has an irritating display. I can't get the temperature reading AND the trip meter to display at the same time. They are on different MODE screens. An the Odometer is on a third screen that displays for only 5 seconds. I wonder why they did it that way?
joe

this is a complaint on my vapor as well... I would like the engine temp/clock/ trip meter /to be on the same display.
I'm hoping that they come up with a firmware upgrade to let you customize your display.

• cleonard

Posted November 29, 2008 - 09:45 AM

The new Vapor Tech computer has a nice temperature sensor. It was 40 outside yesterday and the bike hit 250F in 10 minutes sitting in my driveway. This is with 20W50 Royal Purple oil.

That's reallt not hot. Sitting in the driveway is about the worst possible condition. No air flow to cool anything.

Is the vapor a head temp or an oil temp? Head temps are not really hot till you reach at least 350. Aitcooled airplane engiens routinely reach 500 and they are very close in cooling design and materials to our pigs.

That's not to say that a oil cooler isn't a good idea.

• EXxrldtgnow300dtg

Posted November 29, 2008 - 01:39 PM

That's reallt not hot. Sitting in the driveway is about the worst possible condition. No air flow to cool anything.

Is the vapor a head temp or an oil temp? Head temps are not really hot till you reach at least 350. Aitcooled airplane engiens routinely reach 500 and they are very close in cooling design and materials to our pigs.

That's not to say that a oil cooler isn't a good idea.

the Vapor temp sensor goes under the banjo fitting of the oil pickup line and the head, so it is reading oil temp.

• flarityj

Posted April 13, 2009 - 10:47 AM

New information: I have been surveying thermal dynamic experts and they mostly agree (which is rare) that a good sandblast of your head (with sand--make it rough) and a light coat of BBQ black paint will cut at least 5% off your heat. 5% for just about free is pretty good.

If you have the head coated with nickel imbedded with silicon carbon sand, that will cut another 10%. I had it done to my XR400 for $150 just to see how it works. (will report this summer)

My observations on Heat Loading:

The worst heat condition for the bike is to load the engine and little air. I know some guys who used their Yamaha XT to paddle a boat and they could seize it in about 15 minutes. I think the second worst condition is a high speed run. The bike just does not get enough air to sustain a long duration load--not designed for it. This is true on the XR400 also, which has an oil cooler.

YET, my XR400 can idle through summer traffic all day and not exceed 250F. The BRP will not do nearly as well in this condition. Sad, because it is very lightly loaded. I would like to see somebody with an oil cooler let it sit in the driveway until the temperature stabilizes and tell us what that is?

Joe

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.