Any overheat issues with 650L?

49 replies to this topic
  • KAS

Posted January 12, 2008 - 09:48 PM

I have found that I have more heat resistance than many non fan equipped water pumpers. They are puking out coolant and I'm still going strong.

Dont even question the XRL's ability to cool properly. Unless like cleonard said, sand hill climbs/drags. They do just fine, even compared to coolant puking water heads!

Uh-huh.

And just how would you know if your 650L was overheating?

Just because a water-cooled machine spits a little steam doesn't mean its running hotter than an air-cooled.

• DBM

Posted January 13, 2008 - 07:09 AM

If you leave it stock, it will run hot when sitting or riding hard. If you do a few simple and inexpensive mods to the carb and pipe as well as remove all the smog poo it will run much cooler. Get a oil temp guage for piece of mind.

DBM

• cleonard

Posted January 13, 2008 - 09:13 AM

Uh-huh.

Just because a water-cooled machine spits a little steam doesn't mean its running hotter than an air-cooled.

Never said that an air cooled engine runs cooler than a water cooled engine. When my friends 90 CR500 starts puking out it's coolant he has to stop. If he does not all his coolant end up on the ground. I'm sure at the moment that his bike starts puking, my XR600 is at least 100 degrees F hotter. However, I can still continue where he cannot.

It's hard to describe what the Honda XR air cooled engine does when it gets too hot. The simple thing is it starts pinging more. However, it just starts running differently and not in a good way. Mine tends to also not idle correctly either.

• martinfan30

Posted January 14, 2008 - 08:25 AM

Uh-huh.

For one, the oil temp dipstick(IF INSTALLED)will show upwards of 275 and up.
They start to ping and like CL says, start running differently.

You will know.

• frog13

Posted April 19, 2008 - 02:12 PM

Bibleman----same news in cincinnati.THEY do not last long here either!!.

• flarityj

Posted May 03, 2008 - 09:43 PM

Please don't take offense owners, but the subject bike gets VERY hot. Check out the survey on 4strokes.com if you don't believe it. It was a grave oversight for Honda to omit the oil cooler.

I would advise every owner to get a temp gauge, install the xr400 oil cooler ( which are dirt cheap at $130) and run 20/50 Royal Purple oil (or some other high quality synthetic). I do that even though I live in the cool NW. You just never know what the bike will get into. The high heat also makes the fuel funny and that is double trouble on a high comp engine.

The bike gets the hottest on high speed runs. It is easy to hit 250F and 300 is not unheard of. At those temps, even with good clean oil, the coating on the wiring will break down.

I hit 250F on my XR400 and it is completely stock. This is with a very accurate Dakota digital guage. Oddly, I can be stuck in traffic for 30 minutes in the summer and it never gets above 215F.

A modified XR650L has twice the heat of the 400 and less area to offload it. Suzuki was very smart to hang that giant oil cooler off to the side of their DR650.

Joe

• Medic63

Posted May 04, 2008 - 01:40 AM

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a new '08 L.

I a searching for all the info I can find on the bike. I have come across the fact that the bike has a potential to overheat (being air cooled, no oil cooler).

Is overheating rare. I just plan to ride on the street and some trail riding.

Thanks,

deck

Hey there;

I have an XR650L and installed an oil thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature. So far I've only noticed a tendence to go >300 when I do a lot of high charged accelerations and decelerations, but no problems so far. My last air cooled XL185 handled two hundred mile rides in the August heat of Palm Springs, hills and all, without any problems. I was too ignorant to even think of engine issues then. As an addition, I use 20-50 oil for the XR due to its better high-heat handling characteristics.

• Medic63

Posted May 04, 2008 - 01:44 AM

They really are the perfect do it all bike. Not great in any element, but good in all elements. Where they are great is that they are good in all elements!:eek:

I had my stock XR650L on the freeway and hit 95mph the first day. I had a bit of wobble but nothing unmanageable. I installed an aftermarket front fender--reduced profile--and the wobble has disappeared. It really stabilized the bike's reaction to high wind velocity in a big way. While I think that much is made of how fast a dual sport bike will go on the freeway, I think that speeds >85mph are really better left to street bikes. That said, the XR easily does sustained freeway speeds and the fender mod is a huge help.

• Motosprtman

Posted May 05, 2008 - 10:23 AM

Sadly the XRL's have went the way of the dinosaurs. At one time they were the hot selling ticket. A Honda dealer I know only sold one XRL last year.
I still love the XR's an will always own a few of them.
My favorite is the XL600R.
Buy it you will love the bike, just don't expect it to be a rocketship.

granted - the XR650L has not changed since it's inception, some 15 years ago. However! they have a deicated following, it depends upon where you live I think (sales) my dealer says he sells his allocation of 650L's every year and asks Honda for more! and sells those also!

Not crotch rocket fast, and never were intended to be. but The stump pulling torque is impressive.

You would have to flog one HARD probably harder than any of can ride, to overheat one. This is one of the few bikes that could run the Baja stock and survive - not win, but survive!

• ghrati ghoti

Posted May 05, 2008 - 12:42 PM

I've spent many days idling in traffic with ambient temps over 100º. 32k miles so far, haven't broken into the motor yet.:eek:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GIANTac1

Posted May 05, 2008 - 04:06 PM

Im in CALI desert and pullin me around in summer 100+ tems the highest ive seen is 250 and that was crusing home from work on freeway, SO dont be worried thats all stock and just adding a XR400 oil cooler and you wont have any worries for anywhere in the world for overheating.

I got mine up to 305F cruising on the San Diego freeway.....Got worried, and then was assured that was about as hot as you would want to get the bike. Never happened after that even in much hotter weather.:eek: I now live in N.Cal and it will reach 100f+ in the summer, cant wait to see what the dipstick is gonna read....:p

• motox55

Posted July 01, 2008 - 06:25 AM

I ride in Nebraska and Iowa all the time, 30 miles one way to work. I have a 97 model with 6600 miles on it. I have a 58 pilot, 155 main, shimmed needle, opened air box with twin air foam filter, and the baffle removed. I run a pretty steady temp of 220 on the interstate at 65-70 mph even on hot days. The bike is a blast to ride and you wouldn't go wrong getting one. I will warn you, the midwest wind can be a PITA but all in all its a great bike.

• martinfan30

Posted July 01, 2008 - 06:43 AM

Just rejet and they will be fine.. Tank shrouds or not.

• tallbiker

Posted October 02, 2008 - 10:48 PM

What if i didnt rejet at all?. I put on 4 gal clarke tank on during the first 400 miles. Now there is a knocking sound coming from the engine. service says my warranty is gone and need a engine tear down fix bad part inside, and rebuild. Everything i read before i got it said no overheating issues. even clarke said never heard of a problem with overheating, i asked them specifically about overheating. engine and exhaust are stock.i just changed the tank. The oil burned up and ruined or severly damaged a part inside the engine. i bought a 2008 brand new March 2008 and started riding it in April and put the 3500 hundred miles on it. is that a lot of mileage for four months?

• IMNXNYR

Posted October 03, 2008 - 01:07 AM

http://www.hrpworld....&action=product

Oil cooler with spal fan built in to it. Was going to be my summer project before I ended up getting laid off at work. Now that I'll start working again on monday, I'll wait till next spring as it is starting to cool down again.

• ghrati ghoti

Posted October 03, 2008 - 08:25 AM

What if i didnt rejet at all?. I put on 4 gal clarke tank on during the first 400 miles. Now there is a knocking sound coming from the engine. service says my warranty is gone and need a engine tear down fix bad part inside, and rebuild. Everything i read before i got it said no overheating issues. even clarke said never heard of a problem with overheating, i asked them specifically about overheating. engine and exhaust are stock.i just changed the tank. The oil burned up and ruined or severly damaged a part inside the engine. i bought a 2008 brand new March 2008 and started riding it in April and put the 3500 hundred miles on it. is that a lot of mileage for four months?

No other mods besides the tank??
There should be a 1 year warranty from Honda. I think you need to start making some noise.

• hondaxrl650

Posted October 03, 2008 - 03:36 PM

I would be talking to that dealer ....... and for the op I have a 07 xrl with daves mods done and 10500 miles on her and not one overheating problem .:lame:

• road_toad666

Posted October 03, 2008 - 05:02 PM

5,600 miles since late May on a brand new L.. Not a single damn problem yet. Even my break-in oil was perfect. Hammered her hard this season too.

• martinfan30

Posted October 03, 2008 - 05:48 PM

How can the warranty be gone? Should be a one year deal.

Start calling/emailing Honda about this. There is no way what you have done should cause the problem, unless you never changed the oil/filter.

• tallbiker

Posted October 04, 2008 - 09:03 AM

i also purchased the extended warranty. i cut the fender smaller as recommended on TT to add air flow (months ago) . the Warranty is voided because i used the aftermarket tank. the shrouds on the clarke tank are a lesser than the stock shrouds. the oil was changed at 600 and issue at 3500. I was mistaken on 2nd oil change, thought was at every 3000 but in 2006 honda changed it to every 2000.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.