is my timeing off?

11 replies to this topic
  • 29-keith-29

Posted January 09, 2008 - 06:27 PM

after puting a new crank in my 01 yz426 it starts fine but after about one min. of it running the header pipe starts to glow red hot. there is also a crack in the header pipe could this cause it

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted January 09, 2008 - 06:36 PM

All 426s have red hot headers if they are allowed to idle in place for long. This is clearly visible in the dark. If this is happening sooner than before it might be possible that you have a crankcase air leak.

• 29-keith-29

Posted January 09, 2008 - 06:56 PM

[quote name='r4sbergXR600']All 426s have red hot headers if they are allowed to idle in place for long. This is clearly visible in the dark. If this is happening sooner than before it might be possible that you have a crankcase air leak.[/QU

i bought this bike with a blown crank so iv never seen it run so i cant compare it to before but this seems to get red very quick in the day time

• 642MX

Posted January 09, 2008 - 07:08 PM

YZF headers get hot when they sit still idling, its normal. Just as long as they don't get as red as Grayracers header. His is smoking hot, hopefully he'll post a picture of it. :banghead:

• yamaha racing 230

Posted January 09, 2008 - 07:38 PM

YZF headers get hot when they sit still idling, its normal. Just as long as they don't get as red as Grayracers header. His is smoking hot, hopefully he'll post a picture of it. :busted:

is that his 03 yz450 that hes tring to sell lol i knew there was a reason :banghead: lol

• grayracer513

Posted January 09, 2008 - 08:01 PM

All 426s have red hot headers if they are allowed to idle in place for long. This is clearly visible in the dark. If this is happening sooner than before it might be possible that you have a crankcase air leak.

How would a crankcase air leak affect a 4-stroke, especially one with a half inch hole for a breather already?

YZF headers get hot when they sit still idling, its normal. Just as long as they don't get as red as Grayracers header. His is smoking hot, hopefully he'll post a picture of it. :banghead:

Stop bagging on my header. It's normal, I tell ya.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted January 09, 2008 - 08:45 PM

Thanks Gray. I needed a good laugh after spending most of my day getting frustrated lacing rims in my garage.

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2008 - 06:11 AM

What's the frustrating part? I can't do anything about tedious, but I might be able to help with frustrating.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:42 AM

How would a crankcase air leak affect a 4-stroke, especially one with a half inch hole for a breather already?

Never thought about that, just knew it is a problem with two strokes. Learning more everyday! Sorry :banghead:

• bigmike12

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:44 AM

Posted Image

that is bad ass and a cool ride :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2008 - 08:44 AM

Never thought about that, just knew it is a problem with two strokes. Learning more everyday! Sorry :banghead:

In a two-stroke, you'd have something. The crankcase there is a part of the intake tract. OTOH, an air leak in the intake tract of a 4-stroke WILL cause lean symptoms, just as with a pinger. The intake just doesn't include the crankcase, that's all.

• 642MX

Posted January 10, 2008 - 09:29 AM

What's the frustrating part? I can't do anything about tedious, but I might be able to help with frustrating.

It was my first time lacing wheels from scratch. I got them almost perfectly trued, but it was a headache....

I think they look pretty good, and the wife is happy! (which is all that really matters....right?)

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also put on some new backgrounds and a new exhaust system...

Posted Image

Now, only one more set to lace up for my bike....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.