Street Legal WR 450? Is it possible

8 replies to this topic
  • tillerman737

Posted October 13, 2002 - 05:14 PM


Anyone have any info if it is possible to make a WR or YZ 450 California street legal? If so has anyone done it? Have photo's? Who sells the stuff to make it legal etc? Any info appreciated. :)

  • Chaindrive

Posted October 13, 2002 - 08:09 PM


Check out the recent posts by some of your fellow Californians on the dual sport forum...Good luck!

  • tillerman737

Posted October 14, 2002 - 01:26 PM


Thanks for the reply. I will check out the Dual Sport section.

  • lomitamike

Posted October 14, 2002 - 04:39 PM


There is a guy named Dale who lives in Acton who makes Trick Dual Sport kits for WRs. He could help you with your street legal questions, and he also makes a great kit. Do a search for Trick Dual Sport or dual sport kit and see what you can find. Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • EM_rider

Posted October 14, 2002 - 05:41 PM


It is still a bit of a crap shoot in CA so the answer is "it depends". I just got a plate for my KTM 400 EXC and the whole process took just 20 minutes. No problems at all. Various posts in the dual sport forum will explain what paperwork you need to bring to the DMV. Be sure to have everything in order when you get there. If you need the DMV forms just PM me with your email address.

My bike is green and supposedly only green sticker bikes can legally be converted for street use. But even if the WR450 is a red sticker bike, I'd still give it a shot because it might get through. Just do all the DMV stuff before you purchase a dual sport kit and all the stuff to make a bike street legal. Most dealers will do a brake and light inspection and sign the statement of facts without seeing the bike (for $20). Mine does it all the time. If you are successful in getting a plate from the DMV, THEN call Dale and get the Trick Dual Sport kit to comply with all the legal requirements.

  • Yamatom

Posted October 14, 2002 - 08:37 PM


Coming directly from the DMV in Sacramento itself, they
will NOT let you street legalize any bike, no matter what, if
it has a 3 or a C in the eighth digit of the VIN.
Pretty black and white!!

  • tillerman737

Posted October 16, 2002 - 11:51 AM


Thanks for all the replies. I will give it a try.

  • Johnsey

Posted April 19, 2007 - 09:16 PM


so let me get this right.... I have a WR 450 Green stickered, so I just go to DMV and try to get a plate, if i get it call dale and get the dual kit?

  • GCannon

Posted April 20, 2007 - 01:08 PM


There is more reading on this subject than you could do for a week straight.


Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.