Man, I am an IDIOT!!!

32 replies to this topic
  • jclaus98

Posted January 09, 2008 - 12:32 PM

Well, just got my baby back together(thanks to those of you who answered questions I had along the way) today and fired her up for the first time today, man it was nice to hear her running again after being in pieces for 2 months! So, I check to make sure everything is running correctly, make sure I have oil pressure, everything looks great. Take her for a little spin, perfect. Everything is running perfectly. After my initial excitement and pure joy to just being riding my bike again, I settle down and listen closely for any strange noises. Right away, I notice a soft metallic hissing, coming from the right side of the head when I rev the engine:foul: So, I put my thinking cap on, trying to figure out what that noise could be....CAM CHAIN? It was the one thing I didn't replace during the rebuild, it didn't show any excessive wear, and at $90 after I'd already spent $600, I figured it would be fine. MAN, I AM AN IDIOT!!! One of the most difficult things to replace, one of the most crucial components of a 4 stroke engine, and I make the decision to use the old one!!!???!!! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME???!!!??? So, I'm posting here, because I'd like to know what options I have, if any, other than replacing it now. I REALLY don't want to tear the whole thing down again to replace that thing, but if that's the consensus I get here, that's what I suppose I'll have to do. If it wasn't that worn when I tore everything down, is there a chance that everything just needs to break itself in and I really don't need to worry about it? Is it possible that it always made that noise and I just never paid that close attention to it and everything is fine? Someone give me some good news please, because at this point I'm ready break down and weep like a 5 year old if I have to tear the whole thing apart again because of one STUPID mistake.

• exaresix

Posted January 09, 2008 - 01:23 PM

The cam chain is on the right, you said the sound was on the left?

• jclaus98

Posted January 09, 2008 - 01:25 PM

Crap, yeah, I meant right side, further evidence I AM AN IDIOT!!! Jesus...

• rdahl

Posted January 09, 2008 - 01:36 PM

I just read an article on cam chain inspection. It stated to drop the chain...if it lays flat, its good, if it kinks then it's time to replace. You can do it with out splitting the cases but you would need to remove the cylinder. I'm no expert on this so make sure you cover your bases.

• MX-WFO

Posted January 09, 2008 - 01:38 PM

It probably made that noise originally? I think your fine.......

• martinfan30

Posted January 09, 2008 - 01:50 PM

No, you said right side. You are not an idiot either!

A soft metallic hissing? Or maybe a ticking? Does it hot or cold? all throttle/rpm ranges? By right side, you mean rear brake side? There can be some confusion there sometimes. It is always viewed as if sitting normally on the bike/car.

• jclaus98

Posted January 09, 2008 - 02:07 PM

Martinfan, I was hoping you'd weigh in on this, yes, it is coming from the rear brake side of the engine. It is definitely a hissing sound, I can hear the ticking of the valve head tappets, this is a different sound. It increases with engine speed, but dissappears when engine speed decelerates. It seemed to get more apparent as it warmed up, but it is possible it was doing it when it was cold, and I just didn't notice. Its very faint, defintely sounds like the cam chain, possibly grinding against something in the cam chain housing???

• zipper600

Posted January 09, 2008 - 02:44 PM

XR600,right??
if it is from my experience just replace the chain.I almost blow my valve train,piston,bla,bla,bla at idle at first time after a head rebuild.it started fine but after 1 minute the valves started hiting the piston.Not a nice thing to hear believe me..i was lucky..the chain seems to be good and when you install it looks good but its not.The chain streches easily and the cam chain tensioner has a short play so it will not adjust a moderated cam chain.you do not have to tear apart the engine or even remove it from the frame.just pop the carb and carb boot off,head cover and clutch case.nothing more.

BTW: you´re an idiot.... :banghead: and so was i...
Good luck

• martinfan30

Posted January 09, 2008 - 02:49 PM

At this point i cant say its an oil pump noise because it gets louder warm?

So, now i would definately pull the valve cover(IF you are sure its not a valve adjustment issue). Look at your guides, chain, sprockets and tensioner closely.

Has the noise worsened, or become louder since you first noticed it? Or has it remained consitent?

Also make sure the little spring and pin under the auto decompressor(in the head) is still in place.

• martinfan30

Posted January 09, 2008 - 02:51 PM

As zipper says, its not a big job if you are looking at doing a timing chain SET.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zipper600

Posted January 09, 2008 - 03:04 PM

At this point i cant say its an oil pump noise because it gets louder warm?

So, now i would definately pull the valve cover(IF you are sure its not a valve adjustment issue). Look at your guides, chain, sprockets and tensioner closely.

Has the noise worsened, or become louder since you first noticed it? Or has it remained consitent?

Also make sure the little spring and pin under the auto decompressor(in the head) is still in place.

oil pump issue?was it good before tear down?how do you check oil pressure on head?release the banjo bolt on head?i lay the bike on left side and fill up the oil filter case with the filter in it and close it.flood the valve train in oil and then start it and chack the banjo bolt for oil pressure..also check all oil filters including frame oil filter so it doesnt look like mine

Posted Image

Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted January 09, 2008 - 03:15 PM

I said i CANT say its an oil pump noise. Some of these XRL 650's will make a buzzing type noise when cold for a couple minutes until the oil warms up. Then the pump quiets down. This was what i thought it COULD be if it were present during cold operation.:banghead:

Are you the one that has the bad 2nd gear and still ride it? Has it grenaded yet?:busted:

I've got a long banjo bolt that i'm thinking of hooking up to the head with an oil pressure guage just to see what normal pressure is.

• zipper600

Posted January 09, 2008 - 03:21 PM

I said i CANT say its an oil pump noise. Some of these XRL 650's will make a buzzing type noise when cold for a couple minutes until the oil warms up. Then the pump quiets down. This was what i thought it COULD be if it were present during cold operation.:banghead:

Are you the one that has the bad 2nd gear and still ride it? Has it grenaded yet?:busted:

I've got a long banjo bolt that i'm thinking of hooking up to the head with an oil pressure guage just to see what normal pressure is.

Always good to check everything..

you got good memory..and funny too..
NO...not grenaded yet..im waiting...already took the clip of it...just waiting for it to bang..more exciting this way....or not.

I tear apart it..gonna rebuild frame,plastics and front suspension..after that,engine..

• martinfan30

Posted January 09, 2008 - 03:23 PM

you got good memory..and funny too..
NO...not grenaded yet..im waiting...already took the clip of it...just waiting for it to bang..more exciting this way....or not.

I like your style!LOL!:banghead:

• jclaus98

Posted January 09, 2008 - 03:48 PM

I'm certain it's not the oil pump, one because, as you said, it would get quieter with warmth, and second, it's a brand new oil pump. The little spring pin I'm positive is in, I had to take the head cover off once already to put the set screw in the tensioner pin and I checked everything while I was in there, just to double check. So, it appears as though I am in for a cam chain replacement, crap. Thanks for the help though guys, I appreciate everybodys input.

• cleonard

Posted January 09, 2008 - 03:51 PM

I did more or less the same thing a few years ago. We are all idiots at one time or another. I had valve issues. The head dropped two seats. After a few hundred $$$ I had a fixed head. I too put it back together with the old cam chain and tensioner. On the first ride I noticed a noise. It was completely different than what you are reporting. When cold it would be fine. As it warmed up it started. It made a weird rattling when a little above idle. I figured that it was the loose chain flopping around. The engine was also down on power. It didn't do it much at idle and you couldn't hear it at high RPMs. I replaced the tensioner and the chain and have not had the noise since.

I'm about 90% sure that my issue was the tensioner. Upon removal there was a tiny amount of wear an the center shaft. It must have been enough that it didn't do it's job. It worked 100% perfect when cold.

• jclaus98

Posted January 09, 2008 - 04:05 PM

Yea, I replaced both tensioners, and why I didn't just spend the extra 100 on a cam chain, even when it appeared to be just fine, purely just to do it while I had everything apart, but after I had replaced everything else, money was getting a bit tight, so I opted not to. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!!

• scalejockey

Posted January 09, 2008 - 05:01 PM

Iv'e heard some chains that were shot and they would make a "schunk schunk" sound when idling. Either way, pull your oil filter and look REAL close for any metal.

• martinfan30

Posted January 09, 2008 - 05:02 PM

Yea, I replaced both tensioners, and why I didn't just spend the extra 100 on a cam chain, even when it appeared to be just fine, purely just to do it while I had everything apart, but after I had replaced everything else, money was getting a bit tight, so I opted not to. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!!

Do you mean both guides? Should only be one tensioner.

Heres my "Idiot" story!

5 years ago i got to work and was dispatched my first job. It was winter and our snow plows were getting heavy use and abuse by the detail shop kids. Its a 69 FJ40 with a plow. One of the idiots grenaded the clutch disc ramming into snow banks. Ok, good job for me! What you call "gravy". I get the M/T out, pull the flywheel off to be surfaced. I also find the rear main seal leaking. So i get my parts to complete the job, 4 hours later i get the finished flywheel back.

So i install the parts and test drive it after getting the M/T back in. I usually drive on a 5 mile test route. Get back to the shop and start smelling oil. ***???

Sure as S***, there is the BRAND NEW rear main seal still packaged on my bench! Luckily oil didn't contaminate the new disc.

A nice waste of a few hours!:banghead: :busted: :ride:

• exaresix

Posted January 09, 2008 - 05:27 PM

No, you said right side. You are not an idiot either!

Actually he said left, and then later edited his post.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.