idle issue

6 replies to this topic
  • honda0071

Posted January 08, 2008 - 07:57 PM

finally got down the pattern for starting my bike with the kick starter and it starts, runs and idles with choke on. after about 2nd kick and i let it sit for about 5-10mins to warm up since it is about 25-40 degrees Fahrenheit here at nights. After i feel or at least i think its warm i will go to switch the choke off and it presume to die? why does it do this??? please any help greatly appreciated.

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2008 - 10:33 PM

Does it idle after you ride it for a while?

• honda0071

Posted January 08, 2008 - 11:24 PM

i dont even get to that part... i let it idle on startup and then let it sit with choke on and i go to turn coke off and the bike dies after i turn it off...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted January 09, 2008 - 03:28 AM

Have you tried turning the idle up?

• BBrown626

Posted January 09, 2008 - 06:41 AM

finally got down the pattern for starting my bike with the kick starter and it starts, runs and idles with choke on. after about 2nd kick and i let it sit for about 5-10mins to warm up since it is about 25-40 degrees Fahrenheit here at nights. After i feel or at least i think its warm i will go to switch the choke off and it presume to die? why does it do this??? please any help greatly appreciated.

Sounds like it is way too lean. Probably need to set the pilot circuit differently (bigger pilot jet) since it may be tuned for summer and you are trying to run it when it is only 25°F.

• grayracer513

Posted January 09, 2008 - 07:04 AM

It's not unusual for it to die when the choke is first turned off, but it's a little odd for it to do so after that much warm up.

Ordinarily, you would need to start the bike with the choke, then support the idle by hand as you turn the choke off and ride it a little to complete the warm up. It should idle rather faster with the choke on than with it off. Once it's been ridden for about 10 minutes, you should be able to set the base idle speed to whatever you'd like it to be, and you will need to adjust the pilot fuel screw. The cold weather is a factor here, too, as has been mentioned, so it's probably a little too lean right now.

http://www.thumperfa.../jetting.htm#PJ

Meantime, turn the black knob near the bottom left of the float bowl in a little after the bike starts to raise the idle.

• USED YZ426F

Posted January 09, 2008 - 07:04 AM

I would guess that your idle speed is set too low. Without seeing the bike start and idle with the choke on and then off, it is nearly impossible to tell for sure.
Start by turning the idle up. I know that my 426 has to have its idle set a lot higher than my 490 (four stroke vs two stroke). My manual says the idle speed should be set for 1700-1900 rpms. Once set, it does "seem" high, but it works.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.