06 yz450f moving to 08 wr450f questions

12 replies to this topic
  • gdbarr1976

Posted January 08, 2008 - 04:58 PM

Tomorrow I pick up my new wr 450 and the 06yz450f goes up for sale.

I know all these questions have been answered before but I need to get up to speed fast and get some sleep tonite so here they are.

What do I need to switch out from my yz. I have the following.

cr high bend bars
over size front rotor
ims 3.1 gal tank
magura clutch
jd jetting and boysen quick shot and fuel screw
small skid plate
tm chain guide
fmf power bomb
scotts steering damper
pro moto billet silencer end cap with spark arrester.

I will be doing all the cheap mods, uncork etc. I plan on swapping everything unless someone can make a case against.

Now the big question. When I am done, will I be happy? I am a A rider in the gncc's. I know that is a broad question but I went from a yz250f in 03 to a wr and was not at all happy. Am I going to end up with as serious a race bike as it looks on paper or will I regret not getting another yz and making it off road ready? I don't want a trail bike. I want a race bike. Is that what I will be getting or do I need to change my order to a YZ?

thks

• erickdj

Posted January 08, 2008 - 08:59 PM

I happen to own both a 07 wr450f(same thing as an 08) and an 08 yz450f(not too different from an 06). Taking your comment about wanting a "race" bike, I'd say go with the 08 yz450f and move most of your mods to the new yz from your old bike. Don't take me wrong, the WR450F is a serious off road machine, but for you coming off from a fairly recent model yz450f, you'd be much happier with the 08 yz450f as a "race" bike. Another thing is that you live some place other than California, so you're not restricted by the red/green sticker B.S we have here. If we didn't have those silly stickers I would have gotten a yz450f instead of the WR last year. You didn't specify what exactly you want to do with it, where you would ride and what type of riding you want to focus on. Anywhere other than an MX track I'm as happy as I can be with my WR, IT IS THAT GOOD, but it absolutely sucks on an MX track compared to the yz. It really comes down to what you want to do with it and where, they are two very different machines designed for very different purposes, and they really shine at their intended use. The yz can be had for less money too. Maybe if you would share some more details about your riding intentions we can give you more feedback.

• gdbarr1976

Posted January 09, 2008 - 07:41 AM

Erick thanks for the reply. As far as the racing, this year I am doing all the gncc, some sera hs, the baja 500 solo and hopefuly the 1000 on team.

After reading alot of posts, weighing all the issues I called my dealer this morning and cancelled my wr and will be picking up a yz.

I dont really race much mx but almost all the gncc courses might as well be 10mile long mx tracks.

I feel even better now after hearing from someone that has both bikes. thks

• rbn14

Posted January 09, 2008 - 10:16 AM

I think if your primary focus is GNCC then you probably made the right decision. Purely due to the suspension. My stuff is out to Factory Connection right now and hopefully it will come back as good as I am hoping but in stock form it was much to underdamped for the desert let alone MX sized jumps. The reality of it is that even thought the the ideal setup for many people would be yz forks on the wr, the wr forks are essentially what they ran on the yz's until they went to twin chamber forks in 05. In my mind this means that they can be made to work really well and that many suspension companies have them pretty figured out. Also, there are many people that feel open chamber forks are the way to go for offroad racing as they often give an initial plushness you don’t get with twin chambers. I think this is why KTM has continued to run open chamber forks on their offroad bikes with the new XCs being the exception. The problem for guys like you is that GNCC and WORCS races have really blurred the lines between offroad and MX (hence the XC).

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 09, 2008 - 10:34 AM

I have a couple questions....what makes you think the wr is right for you and the races you run? the one great thing about the wr is the gear box...its a wide ratio meaning 1st and 2nd are low and 3-4 are taller which makes it nice especially when you do gear changes and what not.

are you looking for the estart for a reason or is not really necessary for you? keep in mind you can always swap the yz cames in to the wr and you will have the same motor (for the most part)

as much as i love my wr, the extra weight gets to you after a while especially on long rides (over 150 in a day) but the weight is nice when your in the desert running higher speeds.

• gdbarr1976

Posted January 09, 2008 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for the responses.

The reason for looking at the wr was the lights and the e start. On paper it looks good. The deal breaker was the forks. I was under the impression that the forks were the same on the yz or wr. Not so.

I think the bottom line is that it is still easier to go from a yz then a wr if you want a no compremise off road racer and don't have to worry about a sticker, which we don't here in Ala.

It would be nice though to have a button! But I will trade that for suspension and engine that is right strait out of the box.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted January 09, 2008 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the responses.

The reason for looking at the wr was the lights and the e start. On paper it looks good. The deal breaker was the forks. I was under the impression that the forks were the same on the yz or wr. Not so.

I think the bottom line is that it is still easier to go from a yz then a wr if you want a no compremise off road racer and don't have to worry about a sticker, which we don't here in Ala.

It would be nice though to have a button! But I will trade that for suspension and engine that is right strait out of the box.

Good choice:thumbsup: . As you mentioned, the yz will be right for you right out of the box. With the money you save compared to the price of the WR you could and probably should get a slip-on muffler or a whole exhaust system. I got my 08 YZ for $6199 out the door, all taxes, fees, etc.... included for the price. So don't let the dealer rip you off on the price. They WILL try to sell it to you for MSRP which is like $1000 more, so don't let that happen. Let us know how you like your new yz when you try it out. :banghead: :busted: :ride:

• gdbarr1976

Posted January 09, 2008 - 06:32 PM

Just fnished riding my white 08 yz450 up and down my driveway, which is a 1/2 mile dirt road, about a dozen times. I made the rght decision.

The mx mags dont really like the silencer, makes it quiet and smooth. It may be bad for mx but for gncc type stuff I think it will be spot on. Cant tell much about the handling and suspention but if it is just as good as my 06 yz I will be happy.

I am sure the wr is a good bike but the yz is right for me. $6200.

• erickdj

Posted January 09, 2008 - 08:35 PM

Cant tell much about the handling and suspention but if it is just as good as my 06 yz I will be happy.

I never tried an 06, but I hear the 08 is quite better in suspension and handling/turning. I tried my yz at the track a couple of weeks ago, it was awesome, that thing will turn on a dime without even breaking a sweat. The suspension was VERY good too.

• XRYoda

Posted January 10, 2008 - 08:56 PM

Good call on getting the YZ. made the switch from the WR too. I love the YZ forks, and I have not even had them re valved yet. I agree with you about the 08' pipe, it is pretty quiet and works well for offroad. I emailed PMB and they said that they should have a spark arrester out soon, believe they said by early march.
I DO NOT miss the extra 30 lbs of the WR, either. Even in the desert, as someone said. The YZ comes with stiffer springs than the WR, and at 190 lbs, they are a perfect match for off-road. The WR would need new springs. The YZ has a Ti spring, too.

• Rick Krikorian

Posted January 11, 2008 - 07:23 AM

Have a new 08 WR 450, just spent 4 days riding in Mexico approx. 770 miles. Had a difficult time riding thru soft sand. Bike would not track well and was all over the place. Tried all positions, speeds everything I could but bike would not work in the sand. Had the same problem this past week out in the desert. I did not experience this problem with my 03 WR. Any suggestions ? Thanks

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted February 25, 2008 - 06:57 PM

Sand?

The easiest thing to do is to click your comp adjusters in 3-4 clicks and your rebound in 1-2.

Next look at your tires - run a good sand tire on the front at about 16-18 psi in the rocks - 11 in the dunes.

on rear your need a good sand tire too at about 13-15 psi and 5-7 in the dunes.

My vote is for Pirelli's and Bridgestone sand tires.

BTW keep your weight back and good preasure on pegs to keep it LOW!!

• Vanillathunder

Posted April 02, 2008 - 06:07 AM

Just fnished riding my white 08 yz450 up and down my driveway, which is a 1/2 mile dirt road, about a dozen times. I made the rght decision.

The mx mags dont really like the silencer, makes it quiet and smooth. It may be bad for mx but for gncc type stuff I think it will be spot on. Cant tell much about the handling and suspention but if it is just as good as my 06 yz I will be happy.

I am sure the wr is a good bike but the yz is right for me. $6200.

You guys going to be in Estera Beach for the 500 again this year? We will be there racing an 07 WR450. We should compare notes. I'm a YZ guy but my team opted to go the WR route. I have suspension concerns similar to those listed already. The WR is nice for sections like Mike's but way too soft for some of the woop sections. Right now we are doing some desert testing trying to figure out gearing. What did you run on your YZ last year?

Always good to have some more blue in the sea of red!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.