Downside of aluminum front rotor vs OEM steel?

10 replies to this topic
  • SteveON

Posted January 08, 2008 - 04:27 PM

I just replaced the front rotor on my NX650 with a new one I won off ebay. I thought it was the same as the original but realized after I got it that's it made of aluminum rather than steel like the factory one. The reason I'm replacing the original is that it's warped really bad and causes the front end to pulse/vibrate whenever the front brake was applied. I'm concerned the aluminum won't hold up very long. I also wonder why anyone would want a different material other than the stock steel? I'm also getting allot of squeeling when the front brake is applied. Any suggestions?
thanks in advance for your help
SteveON

• cleonard

Posted January 08, 2008 - 05:05 PM

I have never heard of an all aluminum rotor of a motorcycle. I have heard of steel clad aluminum rotors. It would seem to me that an aluminum rotor would get cut to shreds in no time by the brake pads.

• Denn10

Posted January 08, 2008 - 05:22 PM

i think so to never heard of AL rotor.

• martinfan30

Posted January 08, 2008 - 05:32 PM

Never heard of one. AL dissipates heat quicker than steel, so there may be warpage issues.

• SteveON

Posted January 08, 2008 - 05:58 PM

This is the discription from the ebay ad where I bought the rotor-
Brand New front brake disc rotor. Replacement item. High Quality rotor. Laser cut, long life Product. Improves Stopping Power and Feel. Extend pads life. Heat treated carbon steel disc.Best material. Include item pictured. Great Price! ISO 9001/9002 Standards.
Brand New brake rotor.
Heat Treated carbon steel disc.
High Quality material.
Improves Stopping power & feel.
Competitive Price.

Although this ad says it's heat treated carbon steel I don't believe it. It's awfully light compared to the stock rotor. I was going to try using a magnet to check it out but I'm not sure it would stick to that kind of metal. i know it won't stick to aluminum. It has a dull sound when tapped not high pitched like steel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motomonte

Posted January 08, 2008 - 06:14 PM

Keep in mind that a magnet won't stick to some types of stainless steels too.But give it a try anyhow and let us know.

• SteveON

Posted January 08, 2008 - 06:23 PM

I guess I was wrong. A magnet sticks to both rotors so they are both steel. I just wonder why their is so much difference in the weight? The package says it was made by H&D in Argentina. I suppose I'll just have to use it and hope it doesn't warp.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 08, 2008 - 06:37 PM

Those rotors are lighter, but they are not precision. I have tried them on my XRR and my CRF, and they are cheap, and fragile. A stock rotor bends, and can be bent back with some skill. The treated carbon steel ones crack, and are disposable. They are also NOT BALANCED, so you need to check your wheel balance after installing.

You get what you pay for.

• SteveON

Posted January 08, 2008 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for the update. I wished I would have know that BEFORE I bought it...LOL. It's kind of hard finding parts for such an old bike. If I ride it fairly normal (80% street/20% dirt) how many miles would you think it would last? Any other advice?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 08, 2008 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the update. I wished I would have know that BEFORE I bought it...LOL. It's kind of hard finding parts for such an old bike. If I ride it fairly normal (80% street/20% dirt) how many miles would you think it would last? Any other advice?

It will last a very long time, unless you crash on it.

• SteveON

Posted January 09, 2008 - 06:16 AM

I'll keep this one on there until I can locate an OEM at a good price. I'm sure eventually one will turn up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.