Shipping a bike from the United States to Canada

26 replies to this topic
  • Old Dog

Posted January 08, 2008 - 03:44 PM

Hi Folks, I need your help. :banghead:

I'm looking at buying a really nice bike that's in Pennsylvania and need to find a way to ship it from there to the Northwest Territories, Canada. I've sent off a bunch requests for quotes from various international shippers that deal with bikes and have only received two answers. One was a flat out "No, we don't ship there" and the other one will only ship from New York to Edmonton (which is still 1811 km or 1125 miles away from where I am) and they want $1200 to do it and the bike to be crated when it arrives in NY. It's another $300 to $400 to have them crate it and they'll also pick it up from Pennsylvania for around another $650. This brings the Grand Total for shipping to somewhere around $2300, and it's still only in Edmonton (100+ miles away).

The thing is, for me to buy a bike of similar quality and in as good as shape here in Canada would cost me waaaaaaaay more (several thousand $) than what I'll pay for this bike. Anyone have any suggestions on a cheaper/better way to have this shipped? .... time's running out too, the auction ends in little over a day. Without a plan in place for shipping I won't be placing any more bids, however, with a plan I'm going to do everything I can to win it.

• martinfan30

Posted January 08, 2008 - 03:46 PM

Road Trip!!!

• haggeo

Posted January 08, 2008 - 04:10 PM

is this the same bike the ukrainian poster is after on ebay?

• Old Dog

Posted January 08, 2008 - 04:13 PM

Road Trip!!!

hehehehe ..... :busted: That option has actually crossed my mind, the thing is, to fly down there from here would probably cost me upwards of $1000, then there's the matter of gas and lodging on the way back, not to mention it's the middle of WINTER!!:banghead: :ride:

• Old Dog

Posted January 08, 2008 - 04:14 PM

is this the same bike the ukrainian poster is after on ebay?

I dunno, which bike is he after? :banghead:

• haggeo

Posted January 08, 2008 - 04:17 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=590799

• Old Dog

Posted January 08, 2008 - 04:34 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=590799

Yup, that's it. :banghead:

Although I'm pretty sure my pockets are deeper than his. :busted: :D :ride:

• Fleshgear

Posted January 08, 2008 - 04:50 PM

CALL RTL Trucking/Grimshaw or Northwest Transport for a rate from Edmonton to NWT.
If its crated they will charge you based on the size of the crate or the weight, which ever is greater.

• Old Dog

Posted January 08, 2008 - 05:12 PM

CALL RTL Trucking/Grimshaw or Northwest Transport for a rate from Edmonton to NWT.
If its crated they will charge you based on the size of the crate or the weight, which ever is greater.

Called them this morning, they said they'd ship it form Edmonton to here for around $500. For that matter, I have an '05 F150 4x4 pickup that I could drive from here to Edmonton to pick it up myself if push came to shove.

That's not the major problem though, it's getting it from PA to Edmonton without spending $2300 that's the problem. :banghead:

• martinfan30

Posted January 08, 2008 - 05:21 PM

hehehehe ..... :busted: That option has actually crossed my mind, the thing is, to fly down there from here would probably cost me upwards of $1000, then there's the matter of gas and lodging on the way back, not to mention it's the middle of WINTER!!:banghead: :ride:

Have you seen the Discovery Channel series " Ice Road Truckers "? Is that the same stuff you'd have to traverse?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motomanmike26

Posted January 08, 2008 - 05:24 PM

road trip or 2300$? which will it be? i doubt you could do better but who knows.

• Old Dog

Posted January 08, 2008 - 06:27 PM

Have you seen the Discovery Channel series " Ice Road Truckers "? Is that the same stuff you'd have to traverse?

There's a section of Ice Road between Here and Edmonton, but it's not very long. Most of the Ice Roads are North of here (Yellowknife) going up to the Diamond mines (Ekati).

• BBA

Posted January 08, 2008 - 08:14 PM

Try forwardair.com or another way is to google "truck drivers for hire" for websites were they correspond and maybe you could get the bike picked up by a trucker coming if not the entire way maybe close enough that you could drive and pick it up. Good luck on your bike purchase

• Old Dog

Posted January 08, 2008 - 09:45 PM

I've tried "forwardair,com", they don't do Canada. I haven't tried "Truck Drivers For Hire" though, but one has to wonder what kind of service you'd get from an independent found on Google.

Not looking good. :banghead:

• haggeo

Posted January 09, 2008 - 06:47 PM

well the bike went for $4900 did you win it? looked like some furious bidding at the end there....

• Old Dog

Posted January 09, 2008 - 07:53 PM

well the bike went for $4900 did you win it? looked like some furious bidding at the end there....

Nope, but I'm envious of the bidder who did, kudos to whoever won it :busted:

I gave up yesterday when I realized it was going to cost me at least $2300 dollars to have it shipped to Edmonton and then another $500 from there to here, which would have brought the Grand Total to $2700 for shipping (then there would have been the duty and other import fees and taxes on top of that).:banghead:

I think I'll just do a Supermoto conversion to my XR650L instead, I've already got all the performance mods done (exhaust, carb, damper, fork brace, lights, tank, bars, etc.). All I have left to do is the wheels and everything that goes with them (rotors, calipers, etc.). :ride:

• martinfan30

Posted January 09, 2008 - 08:02 PM

How are you going to ride a SM in winter wonderland?LOL.

Also consider a Hotcam and hicomp piston. I was impressed with the Hotcam improvement. Cant wait untill i can convince the hen to let me get the piston!

• Old Dog

Posted January 09, 2008 - 09:56 PM

How are you going to ride a SM in winter wonderland?LOL.

Also consider a Hotcam and hicomp piston. I was impressed with the Hotcam improvement. Cant wait untill i can convince the hen to let me get the piston!

hehehehehe ..... believe it or not, it's not ALWAYS Winter here!! In April it warms up and ALL the snow melts away rather quickly and it's pretty nice here until about the 2nd week of September. :banghead:

The Hicomp piston and cam are a good idea, but they can wait until I've got a few more Km's on it (I've only got around 2500 km's on it right now).

Most of my buddies here are Harley riders and do quite a few road trips down South during the summer. For once, I'd like to be able to actually go on a road trip or two with them (they're not "prejudice", they don't care if you're on a Harley or not, as long as it has two wheels and an engine they're cool with it). I've got a nice comfy Corbin seat and all kinds of saddle bags (tank bags, fender bags, saddle bags, etc.) for a good road trip too. :busted:

• ToXicD

Posted January 10, 2008 - 02:59 AM

Hey just read the title and not everything cause I'm on my BlackBerry but if you still need a shipper try roadway, they ship to Canada and their prices are cheap! I got an atv shipped to Houston from Pennsylvania for a little over $300!! Hope you didn't not get the bike because of shipping cost.

• Aurora

Posted January 10, 2008 - 11:24 AM

Congradulations on your 2001 XRR Motard. :banghead:

So you bought InternalCombustion's bike.

I almost placed a bid.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.