Sad days...

17 replies to this topic
  • shifterpilot2001

Posted January 08, 2008 - 08:26 AM

Well...
Things havent worked out as planned for me, and I am sad to say that I am having to let my baby go ! I am selling my KTM 520 as is for $1000.00 to a guy after I just put $800.00 into it days before my last ride in Tahoe. But to make things worse, Im buying an 03' YZF 450 with only about 8 hrs on it (if that many)...:busted: Buying it from a friend in need, as I am in need too, needing to ride :banghead: ... lol...Can anyone talk me out of it?... Anyone know of any serious issues with that bike, personal pro's and con's of that year YZF? Any info would be greatly appreciated... One thing I am looking forward to is that the suspension should be much better than my 520 was, but man will I miss that power... :ride: Maybe I should change my handle to Yamaslow ....lol...all kiddin aside, just looking for some honest feedback, thanks

Mike

• senor

Posted January 08, 2008 - 08:59 AM

4 speed gear box.Not the best for trails.I have ridden one plenty of times and it will still need suspension work.I did ride one in baja once and it made for a long 5 days.Limited to around 45-50 mph.Reliability is good though as with all yamahas.Hope to see you out soon.

• shifterpilot2001

Posted January 08, 2008 - 09:05 AM

Hey Mark... Why is it limited to 45-50 mph? Is that the top speed with stock gearing? Seems little low for top speed..That will not work at Coos Bay !!! ... lol

• cleonard

Posted January 08, 2008 - 10:19 AM

The problem is the 4 speed gearbox. You can gear it for a higher top speed, but then first gear gets really high. To get it anywhere near acceptable you will need to change the gearing for the conditions. Low gearing and low top speed for the singletrack. Tall gearing for the sand.

It's not actually all that bad. Here is a short write up about how Ty Davis managed 2sd at a race in Lucerne valley. It talks about the gear ratios as compared to the YZF426. http://www.motorcycl...r02tydavis.html

• barefootbob

Posted January 08, 2008 - 10:33 AM

Hey Mike,Seems like the mx thumpers have a tall 1 gear and then close gear ratios through 2,3,4 so if you gear it down where you have a low 1st for cow trailing you loose your top speed.Even with the Husky's we just got.They have a 5 speed close ratio tranny with a tall 1st gear.I geared mine down a little for the tight single track.Top end is slow but for Justin and I we go slow on roads so top end is not normaly a issue for us.If I'm going to ride with a group where we are hitting alot of roads I will just put a bigger counter shaft sproket to get my top end back.

• senor

Posted January 08, 2008 - 11:40 AM

Not saying its not doable,just something to think about.You can always rev the piss out of it but the top speed just isn't like a exc ktm.Wr would be alot better for the enviroment we ride in.They others have said it well.:banghead:

• ksrrider

Posted January 08, 2008 - 12:17 PM

Well...
Things havent worked out as planned for me, and I am sad to say that I am having to let my baby go ! I am selling my KTM 520 as is for $1000.00 to a guy after I just put $800.00 into it days before my last ride in Tahoe. But to make things worse, Im buying an 03' YZF 450 with only about 8 hrs on it (if that many)...:busted: Buying it from a friend in need, as I am in need too, needing to ride :banghead: ... lol...Can anyone talk me out of it?... Anyone know of any serious issues with that bike, personal pro's and con's of that year YZF? Any info would be greatly appreciated... One thing I am looking forward to is that the suspension should be much better than my 520 was, but man will I miss that power... :ride: Maybe I should change my handle to Yamaslow ....lol...all kiddin aside, just looking for some honest feedback, thanks

Mike

I had a 04' yz450 which I bought new, I rode and raced it for 2-1/2 years. for desert I ran a 15t front and 48 or 47 rear, 14-48 was stock. With that gearing I could do about 85mph pinned with a gps. That bike will smoke your 520 through the gears, and especially on hill climbs. With desert gearing, there weren't many hills my YZ could not climb.
The bike will definitely be more stable at speed, but it might seem a little top heavy even though it's 20+ pounds lighter. 03's were a little more violent power wise than 04 & 05, but if you run a little taller gearing you will be fine.

If you can afford it, here are a couple of mods I would recomend if you are only a trail rider:
After market flywheel, 12-16oz over stock. I had a 10oz on mine.
Rekluse Z-start or pro clutch, you will love it on that bike with taller gearing.
It will tractor over stuff in first, just set the idle a little high to prevent flame out.
Revalve the suspension of course.
Those bikes are very reliable, I didn't have my valves checked for 2 years, and they were almost at spec. And the whole time time I owned it I never replaced the clutch, and I had a Z-start on it for 1-1/2 years.

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted January 08, 2008 - 12:27 PM

You don't HAVE to do anything.

Why sell low and buy high? Wait, never mind. I have some things you could buy.

How bought an 87 lt 230, i will trade straight across for the 520!

• shifterpilot2001

Posted January 08, 2008 - 02:29 PM

ZEKE....

Selling low because my 520 needs a top and bottom rebuild, suffered some good damage in a not so good recovery scenario...so letting it go cheap so as to not have to deal with the unknows involved and possibly have a $2500.00 bill to get an 01' back on the trail, it's a project bike now for someone with the knowledge and time to repair...

And buying the yzf 450 cause its a friends who i know doesnt know how to ride, and only put 8 hrs on it maybe of pasture riding....So I know it is in pristine shape, and he is in need of the money... kinda lookin forward to tryin something new...but also gonna miss the KTM...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • barefootbob

Posted January 08, 2008 - 02:55 PM

Shoot the way you through around the 520 your going to kick ass on the 450,Cant wait to eat some roost from that puppy.You will need a bigger tank to do that big loop like the last time we rode.
Go get that bike so you can ride with us this weekend.

• shifterpilot2001

Posted January 08, 2008 - 03:08 PM

Hey Bob....

Yeah, I'm thinking that 450 will be much easier to ride hard than the 520 was... lol...that 520 was definitely a PIG for someone as small as I am....LOL.... thats partly what I'm looking forward too.... the weekend I did all that damage to the 520, I rode my buddies 04 CRF450, with 480 kit, and I was blown away at the difference in the handling, and how much better the suspension was on the hits....:busted:

Yeah, gonna have to do some work to it for sure... IMS tank, bark busters, dumbo ears.. dampner, guards, new heavy flywheel, etc....$$$$$$$ :ride:

I'm looking forward to gettin out and riding with you all again...if I can get away this weekend Im game, where you guys goin? pretty sure all will be closed around here if it doesnt stop raining by tomorrow night...although last night went to my buddies MX track and it was almost perfect conditions, it drains really well....its all on a sloping hillside...might be doing that for some conditioning :banghead:

Mike

• barefootbob

Posted January 08, 2008 - 03:52 PM

You might need to do a little work,that bike is fine the way it is though.More fuel is nice,I know you like the longer rides.
We talked about riding this weekend,no one has commited yet but if we ride you will get a PM for sure.

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted January 08, 2008 - 06:27 PM

Was the 520 an sx or mxc/exc. The 03 450 might lighter but not much. maybe 20 lbs or less. You really should get a KTM 300 much easier to ride. than either bike IMHO.

The 450 for a woods bike is ok, a little strong off the bottom, and like others said, when you get it geared right, your top speed is affected.

But it is only a bike, buyit ride it then sell it if you hate it , any bike can be made to run any situation. It is all about what you want. I know what it is like to be tired of a bike, and even if it is cheaper to fix it vs buying another, it doesn't change the bike. You aren't married to it, so what the hell.

I'sa just given a hard time anyway. any friend of BFB is a friend of mine.

• farmerjohn42

Posted January 08, 2008 - 08:41 PM

A ktm 300, zekedawg, steer him right, ride blue, while the other guys are working and repairing the ktms it will give him plenty of time to catch up and even do some play riding, while they be fixin them orange machines. :banghead: :busted:

• JohnnyOfast

Posted January 09, 2008 - 08:27 AM

I loved my '03, if that ain't enough power for you there's something wrong.

• shifterpilot2001

Posted January 09, 2008 - 08:50 AM

Just spent 15 minutes looking for this thread.... I could of sworn I had posted it in Region \ California forum???? Would of been nice if I was given a notice it was just moved cause someone thought it necessary ! :busted: I thought I was loosing my mind.... lol

The reason I put it in California, is because thats where I ride, and the people I do know on here which are only a few, are always viewing that page. So why was it moved?

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it all... and I'm good with gettin and givin hard time Zeke.. :banghead: It's good fun and entertaining... BTW... Zeke, how much you want for the LT 230? 100 buh ?

Yeah, the problem with me and getting tired of something and trying to sell, is I hate dealing with lowballers all the time.. takes up too much of my time...but now it was easy... I told a guy 1000.00 buh, come and get it, it's yours... and he's gettin it tonight.... lol...

Johnny, I'm sure the power will be fine, and youre right, something is wrong with me, I am a complete throttle idiot, if I could find someone to throw that 520 in a 08 CRF 150 R chassis for a reasonable fee..I would do it... LOL... Got that way from Superbike racing I guess

• grayracer513

Posted January 09, 2008 - 10:17 AM

Just spent 15 minutes looking for this thread....

The reason I put it in California, is because thats where I ride, and the people I do know on here which are only a few, are always viewing that page. So why was it moved?

Next time, click on your name in any post, and then on "Find all posts by..." It will show up regardless of where it is.

You'd need to ask the mod over there, but it was most likely moved here because it isn't about riding in California, it's about an '03 YZ450 (or it was for a while), and/or the mod thought that you'd get better info on that subject here.

If you decided you really like the bike, but can't work with the gearbox, for about $700 (retail) or less, you can install a complete '03-'06 WR450F 5 speed wide ratio set.

• shifterpilot2001

Posted January 09, 2008 - 02:24 PM

Thanks Grey Racer... very helpful... I appreciate it...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.