04 Yz450f

3 replies to this topic

Posted January 07, 2008 - 08:17 PM

I am looking at a 2004 YZ450F. Any problems I should look for or things I should ask about? I will be switching over from Honda to Yamaha as I am a Yamaha Jet-ski mechanic so I thought I should have a Yamaha bike as well. Is it true that the valves on the Yamaha's last longer than any other bike?

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2008 - 09:18 PM

Oh, I don't think so. The steel valves on an XR 650 may last longer. Then again, unless the redneck I sold my '03 to tells me when they go bad, I may never find out how long the original valves lasted in that bike, and it had well over 350 hours on it.

As for what to look for, look for a bike that the owner can start easily, hot or cold, and that idles down well. If you can ride it up in the gears, put a good load on it in 3rd and 4th, to see if it holds in, or skips and jerks, indicating a worn trans. Then try to find out how well he maintains the oil and air filters. Look for wrench-worn but not rounded off, drain plugs, filter cover bolts, and seat bolts.

One other thing you rarely see, but you won't want, is little cracks at the steering head gussets that leak oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dbehr624

Posted January 07, 2008 - 09:31 PM

Sorry to sorta hi-jack, but do you by any chance ride jet skis? My bro has a superjet and i am going to be buying an SXR 800 soon. Its always nice to find fellow stand up riders.

Posted January 08, 2008 - 04:30 AM

I've ridden many standups before. I am a runabout kind of person though. I have a Seadoo RX and a GPR which is on its way to have a 270 hp RXP motor put into it.

Sorry to sorta hi-jack, but do you by any chance ride jet skis? My bro has a superjet and i am going to be buying an SXR 800 soon. Its always nice to find fellow stand up riders.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.