Have a question -problem on 08 450 help please...

5 replies to this topic
  • matts06yzf

Posted January 07, 2008 - 07:25 PM

Ok I took my nasty fall about 6 weeks back and my front brake had basically zero pressure etc. I could not work on my bike due to surgery on hand etc from the wreck. Bike is at the dealership and heres what was done. Rebuilt Master cylinder thanks to Todd on here:worthy: . That didnt do it so put a new rotor on umm that didnt do it. So the shop manager found that what was happening was where brake caliper bolts to fork tube something is bent there and causing it to misaligned, allowing one piston to push way out and the other to not barely touch the rotor. He put a washer between the lower fork leg and brake caliper and it works perfect. Just made it all line up again. Basically either the caliper is bent or the bracket on the fork that it bolts to is bent. Brakes are fine now everything feels great but I hate rigged stuff. This cant cause me any problems in handling etc or can it? Is there away to make sure fork itself is straight and is this likely? I really dont want to spend 800.00 on a new fork and then send it to enzo when I have 6 hours on the bike. As long as it wont affect handling or performance that little washer is fine with me.Dont really see how it could affect handling but what ya think?

Thanks, Matt

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2008 - 07:49 PM

The C bracket that mounts the caliper to the fork lug is weaker than the fork lug itself, so that should be what's bent. You can tell if the caliper mounting lugs on the fork are out of line by measuring the distance form the lugs to the rotor. It should be identical from both lugs. If they are OK, you can either run it like it is or hunt around for a used bracket (it's only sold new with a complete caliper).

In either case, it shouldn't have any effect on the steering/cornering/stability in any way, so if it's working well, you can probably leave it like it is without any problems.

• todds924

Posted January 07, 2008 - 09:11 PM

Ok I took my nasty fall about 6 weeks back and my front brake had basically zero pressure etc. I could not work on my bike due to surgery on hand etc from the wreck. Bike is at the dealership and heres what was done. Rebuilt Master cylinder thanks to Todd on here:worthy: . That didnt do it so put a new rotor on umm that didnt do it. So the shop manager found that what was happening was where brake caliper bolts to fork tube something is bent there and causing it to misaligned, allowing one piston to push way out and the other to not barely touch the rotor. He put a washer between the lower fork leg and brake caliper and it works perfect. Just made it all line up again. Basically either the caliper is bent or the bracket on the fork that it bolts to is bent. Brakes are fine now everything feels great but I hate rigged stuff. This cant cause me any problems in handling etc or can it? Is there away to make sure fork itself is straight and is this likely? I really dont want to spend 800.00 on a new fork and then send it to enzo when I have 6 hours on the bike. As long as it wont affect handling or performance that little washer is fine with me.Dont really see how it could affect handling but what ya think?

Thanks, Matt

Hey there Big Matt! You know, I was thinking of picking up an oversized front brake set up this week. If it works out i can let you have the stock caliper hanger for cheap. I think i looked up my cost on a complete 08 front caliper assy. and it was around 100 bucks for the complete unit. So i dont know....20 bucks or something for the hanger? I'll let you know tomorrow night. I'm just still drooling on Reeds oversized front brake setup....I want one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matts06yzf

Posted January 08, 2008 - 06:08 AM

Hey there Big Matt! You know, I was thinking of picking up an oversized front brake set up this week. If it works out i can let you have the stock caliper hanger for cheap. I think i looked up my cost on a complete 08 front caliper assy. and it was around 100 bucks for the complete unit. So i dont know....20 bucks or something for the hanger? I'll let you know tomorrow night. I'm just still drooling on Reeds oversized front brake setup....I want one.

sweet.... I love you guys.:banghead:

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 08, 2008 - 08:52 AM

Thanks, Matt

I'll have my oversized hopefully this week. Should definitely have it before the 19th at TNT. Ill give you mine when and if you come up.

• todds924

Posted January 08, 2008 - 06:31 PM

I'll have my oversized hopefully this week. Should definitely have it before the 19th at TNT. Ill give you mine when and if you come up.

There you go Big Matt!!! Good looking out Wes!!!!! By the way which oversize did you go with??????

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.