XR650l Mikuni 42mm pumper

46 replies to this topic
  • Firestone

Posted July 12, 2016 - 03:58 AM

Screen plugged on the fuel valve in the tank perhaps.

• Gumby302ho

Posted July 12, 2016 - 12:12 PM

Yet another thread of these big big dollar pumper carbs that have ran like shit, you would think xr's only would have good ball park settings for the L by now( is that not what they specialize in), after dropping 500 bones for something that for the ones who have painstakingly dialed in for 2 steambouts of greater grunt to me just cant cut it for price, again lets see some dyno numbers with modified stock vrs a overly priced pain in the ass pumper carb. Dollars to donuts the top end pull will be pretty much the same. The stock/modified carb is a great robust carb which is super reliable, I dont get the guys who say its so boggy out of the hole, I dont experience that ever. I remember hot rodders complaining how much the quadrajet 4 barrel carb(rochesters) were boggers, not when in proper working condition in my view and they were more reliable than a holley.

• lax30

Posted July 13, 2016 - 03:17 AM

Yet another thread of these big big dollar pumper carbs that have ran like shit, you would think xr's only would have good ball park settings for the L by now( is that not what they specialize in), after dropping 500 bones for something that for the ones who have painstakingly dialed in for 2 steambouts of greater grunt to me just cant cut it for price, again lets see some dyno numbers with modified stock vrs a overly priced pain in the ass pumper carb. Dollars to donuts the top end pull will be pretty much the same. The stock/modified carb is a great robust carb which is super reliable, I dont get the guys who say its so boggy out of the hole, I dont experience that ever. I remember hot rodders complaining how much the quadrajet 4 barrel carb(rochesters) were boggers, not when in proper working condition in my view and they were more reliable than a holley.

While I don't have a minuki pumper, im going to have to disagree with you.  If you haven't ridden a 650l with a pumper you honestly have no idea the difference. I was in the same camp as you, is it really worth my cash, my stock carb modified runs soo well.  Yes, yes it is worth it.   Top end is not even in the same ball park, low end grunt will pull the front wheel up instantly and on command at any rpm I rode at the other day.

Mine cost me all in 327 bucks including  Keihin carb  (2004 crf450r carb 40mm), Noss adapter and some jets and a needle.  The difference is night and day bottom line,  I can agree with you that XR's only should have it dialed in by now but that's why you should just do it your self if your going that far into a mod already. 

• Babywolf

Posted July 13, 2016 - 03:40 AM

My stock xr650l with rejetted stock carb runs fantastic, capable of running with my 500 KTM motor wise, not sure I could ever use more motor even on street, trails just don't require more power, in my opinion.

• Firestone

Posted July 13, 2016 - 03:46 AM

I've got a new TM40 pumper in hand with adapters. Hope to install it this weekend in my XR440. Ride report to follow!

• lax30

Posted July 13, 2016 - 04:13 AM

My stock xr650l with rejetted stock carb runs fantastic, capable of running with my 500 KTM motor wise, not sure I could ever use more motor even on street, trails just don't require more power, in my opinion.

its not really giving you more power, yes it'll flow better up top due to the size but it just takes the power and makes instant on demand.  You genuinely don't know what your missing, I was in the same boat as you and I can say I should have done this mod first.

• Firestone

Posted July 13, 2016 - 04:21 AM

Big problem with the XR650L is people run too quiet of mufflers too. Intake/exhaust flow needs to be balanced IMHO. Demonstrated this concept extremely well on my XR250. Big carb, big muffler, small intake boot and adapter. did not run right until I went with a bigger boot and adapter. Airbox needs to be opened up as much as possible on XR650L. I run an XR500 UNI filter on the XR400 as it is much bigger in surface area than XR650L or XR400. Bigger boot not possible on XR650L I don't think but open airbox and bigger filter important. People told me 34mm was too large for XR250 but the problem was low air velocity around idle circuit due to small boot and adapter. No more bog after mods. 

• Babywolf

Posted July 13, 2016 - 04:43 AM

Big problem with the XR650L is people run too quiet of mufflers too. Intake/exhaust flow needs to be balanced IMHO. Demonstrated this concept extremely well on my XR250. Big carb, big muffler, small intake boot and adapter. did not run right until I went with a bigger boot and adapter. Airbox needs to be opened up as much as possible on XR650L. I run an XR500 UNI filter on the XR400 as it is much bigger in surface area than XR650L or XR400. Bigger boot not possible on XR650L I don't think but open airbox and bigger filter important. People told me 34mm was too large for XR250 but the problem was low air velocity around idle circuit due to small boot and adapter. No more bog after mods.

Yes, I agree, I also got lots of power from my fmf q muffler and open up air box, not to mention a 30lb diet. My 650 has no bogs and all my buddies love it, but it is still tall and heavy and has dated suspension, but I remind myself it is only my dual sport and it realistically does not need to match my 500 KTM off-road.

• Gripo

Posted July 13, 2016 - 04:43 AM

On my 650R with the stock carb and the choke mech removed, 6x 1" holes, rejetted and a Uni Filter it turned the bike into a beast....but unfortunately it's 14yrs had made the float needle & pin wear beyond reliable, so rather than $70 carb kit and a $120 slide I bought a TM40...

It cleared up the flooding and sticky throttle feel and made it a monster from idle to redline...amazing!!!

Got mine with new cables and throttle kit from MikuniOz here in Australia...initial jetting was fine but went leaner on the main and pilot.

• Gumby302ho

Posted July 13, 2016 - 12:44 PM

Lax30 mentioned 327 dollars for his setup, its obvious you dont live in Canada or are buying used, we get farged in the ass on our dollar with the US plus with economies of scale we up in Canada pay LARGE for anything that comes from the states. The motor heads up here if we got the same prices for performance parts for cars and bikes etc etc, we all would be running 500 horsepower toys as it is so much cheaper to build power in the states. So lax30 the true price up here in Ontario would be double I bet when all said and done if not more. How do you know your original carb had the best setup possible? Ontario has the highest motorcycle ins, the highest cell phone rates, highest hydro, we are the corporate whipping boy province for the whole country. F U to the corperate world. Rant over.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lax30

Posted July 13, 2016 - 02:43 PM

Lax30 mentioned 327 dollars for his setup, its obvious you dont live in Canada or are buying used, we get farged in the ass on our dollar with the US plus with economies of scale we up in Canada pay LARGE for anything that comes from the states. The motor heads up here if we got the same prices for performance parts for cars and bikes etc etc, we all would be running 500 horsepower toys as it is so much cheaper to build power in the states. So lax30 the true price up here in Ontario would be double I bet when all said and done if not more. How do you know your original carb had the best setup possible? Ontario has the highest motorcycle ins, the highest cell phone rates, highest hydro, we are the corporate whipping boy province for the whole country. F U to the corperate world. Rant over.

Used all the way, carb came off a 2004 crf450r. Ebay. Jets are cheap. Noss adapter was 80, again. Ebay. Why buy new when I can get damn near new or just dirty parts for cheap????

I know the original carb was setup properly cuz I'm not an idiot, went thru a bunch of jets and needle shims in each testing. Second xr650l too..... 93 and a 2000. I can send you plug chop pics if you'd like?

Plus if you doubt my stock cv was setup right but somehow I magically dialed this in perfect I guess I'm a magician ehh?

Sorry you guy get flogged in the bum but I bet you could find a part out place or used parts somewhere for cheap, just gotta look.

With all that said if you haven't tried it don't knock it cuz really your missing out. It transforms the response and revs. But don't take my word for it im just a wv hill troll..........

• JoeRC51

Posted July 13, 2016 - 05:17 PM

The XRL needs more air than it can get from under the seat.

Yes, I agree, I also got lots of power from my fmf q muffler and open up air box, not to mention a 30lb diet. My 650 has no bogs and all my buddies love it, but it is still tall and heavy and has dated suspension, but I remind myself it is only my dual sport and it realistically does not need to match my 500 KTM off-road.

The ''Q'' is NOT a high flow muffler.

• Babywolf

Posted July 13, 2016 - 05:37 PM

Of course it is, and it gave my xr650l a kick butt top end, sorry if what I am saying isn't fitting you guys narrative that you need to change the carb to get power, but I will say it again, because it is true, most folks can get real power from the big red pig with simply rejetting, air and exhaust mods, much cheaper and easier!

• JoeRC51

Posted July 13, 2016 - 05:48 PM

A ''Q'' may flow better than a totally stock muffler , but it sure as hell can't flow like a straight thru muffler. No need to apologize for your ignorance of engine tuning.

• Babywolf

Posted July 14, 2016 - 02:08 AM

A ''Q'' may flow better than a totally stock muffler , but it sure as hell can't flow like a straight thru muffler. No need to apologize for your ignorance of engine tuning.

I'm not apologizing, you seem to be the one that needs to apologize as you have admitted the Q flows better than stock! Wow

And if you are running a straight flow muffler on a 650 motor, you are offending everybody within a five mile radius of you and causing trail closures, now I really think you need to apologize!

Edited by florastuart, July 14, 2016 - 02:35 AM.

• Babywolf

Posted July 14, 2016 - 02:39 AM

Why would I apologize for the big red pig with stock carb, when everyone that rides it loves it!ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1468493219.927588.jpg

Edited by florastuart, July 14, 2016 - 02:47 AM.

• lax30

Posted July 14, 2016 - 02:53 AM

Why would I apologize for the big red pig with stock carb, when everyone that rides it loves it!attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1468493219.927588.jpg

its like sex with a  rubber, ya it feels ok but you dont know what your missing.....

How many threads have you seen where someone who has one (FCR) setup right says "man I just don't think it was worth it????"

Edited by lax30, July 14, 2016 - 02:54 AM.

• Babywolf

Posted July 14, 2016 - 03:06 AM

You guys must be pretty young, because I grew up with Scott Summers and the xr600 legend. An xr650l was a copy of the xr600 but street legal, even Scott avoided added excessive power to Honda for gncc racing, he only used full power setup for desert racing. Adding power to a 340lb Honda with 1989 suspension is not the hot setup, but careful weight reduction, tuning, minor mods is, apologize accepted!

• lax30

Posted July 14, 2016 - 03:28 AM

You guys must be pretty young, because I grew up with Scott Summers and the xr600 legend. An xr650l was a copy of the xr600 but street legal, even Scott avoided added excessive power to Honda for gncc racing, he only used full power setup for desert racing. Adding power to a 340lb Honda with 1989 suspension is not the hot setup, but careful weight reduction, tuning, minor mods is, apologize accepted!

mine weighs in at 318lbs...rear shocks been re-valved, 450r front end,  and proper tuning (FCR)  again man your missing the point, it doesn't add power, makes it a more usable on demand curve.  lets not forget FCRs weren't available back in the day.......  so tell me again how you know they wouldn't have run the best carb option?

also, ive got pics of the man summers running white powers USD forks on the 600r too but I guess that was just for show....

correct me if im wrong but  the 600r makes more power than the 650l................. has a different spark advance curve, different compression.....

And I too grew up watching scott summers in the blackwater races and GNCC.  Still have my 94 issue of dirt rider talking about scott summers personal setup for the 650l

Edited by lax30, July 14, 2016 - 05:11 AM.

• Firestone

Posted July 14, 2016 - 03:59 AM

Flora, You may have a very fun bike, but their is no way a Q series muffler can compete with a competition style muffler for horsepower. I have run them back to back on the L. The Q series needs a leaner jetting setup and if you are using less fuel, and all other things being equal, you are making less horsepower. 

I read in an article that Scott did not like high compression engines because they threw off his timing while riding. Timing is much more important than horsepower in Hare Scrambles and Enduros. (I am racing Hare Scrambles.) The same article said he ran White Power forks when he was in root-infested areas to avoid catching the stock forks. 

Since this topic was about pumpers, we are discussing the benefits of them. If you know of true drawbacks to the pumpers (such as reduced fuel economy when racing, or ?) then please feel free to chime in, please don't just bash them because your stocker "runs great". A properly setup stocker does run great and may arguably be better than a pumper for the average dual sport rider. But if you want raw on demand power, for sheer fun, well you need to look elsewhere is what we are saying. And maximum horsepower will require both a bigger carb and a larger air intake and a "too noisy" exhaust as you call it.

We don't really care about noise around here in Central Oklahoma because there are virtually NO public riding areas around here of any significance. Mostly all pay for the ride and then they don't care if you make noise. I realize that is not the case in other geopgraphical areas. But we weren't discussing trail manners we were discussing pumper carbs and max horsepower. That is one of the reasons I race, because the OCCRA does a great job of building great tracks on private land which gives us riding opportunities we would not otherwise have. An XR of any displacement can never compare to a Mini class CR80/CR85 for sheer noise, by the way.   :ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.