K&N filter for xr650

12 replies to this topic
  • tunastick

Posted January 07, 2008 - 04:41 PM

I just purchased a 2001 650 and am looking for info/feedback on the pros and cons of a k&n air filters as opposed to stock filter. I ran a k&n on my 600 for 10 years with good results and no issues. Two people that I have spoke with say NO to k&ns on 650s...why?

Any info would be great. Thanks.

• Agent2

Posted January 07, 2008 - 05:18 PM

K&N's.... some people like them, some don't. They are good for a slight performance increase but that's because the filtration material isn't as fine as other filters - lets in more air and more dust. Personally, I wouldn't run a K&N on any off road vehicle, but I am sure that others will chime in saying they have never had a problem with them....

• tunastick

Posted January 07, 2008 - 05:33 PM

yeah, that's kinda what I'm finding too. I bought the bike from a service manager from our local large bike shop and he says stick with the stock set up. That's what the bike has on it now, and I figure that if he hasn't changed it, then why should I. I wanted some additional input just 'cause...

Thanks for your reply.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 07, 2008 - 06:16 PM

K&N has less surface area over stock, or UNI.
K&N lets in fine dust
K&N still doesn't seal without grease (which you should use with all filters)

• scalejockey

Posted January 07, 2008 - 07:40 PM

K&N "claims" more area but one has to consider foam has a course to fine path (progressive) so dirt is displaced in layers. Seems the K&N works good clean but clogs faster. Just my thoughts...

• xr650l bum

Posted January 07, 2008 - 07:55 PM

he says stick with the stock set up. That's what the bike has on it now, and I figure that if he hasn't changed it, then why should I.

Do not stick with the stock set up. K&N is an upgrade over the stock set up. K&N are just not as good as uni in the off road, and weigh a lot more than the uni.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted January 07, 2008 - 08:55 PM

IMHO stay away from K&N. i have run them on different vehicles over the years and i can say they let way too much fine particulate in. the intake boot will covered in fine dust/dirt. use a uni filter. i would only run a K&N on a race vehicle that runs on asphalt and on an engine that gets regular O/H.

• weskc35k

Posted January 08, 2008 - 01:23 AM

K&N is like using no filter at all.

• Denn10

Posted January 08, 2008 - 06:51 AM

I will say this also, when you go to your local track where they race dirt track race cars your not gonna see K+N on any car that has any useage with them or knowledge of how crappy they filter when in alot of dust and dirt, and this is the same for motorcycle guys, there just not a good dirt bike filter. I mention the race car example as i also go to some racing forums and its the same talk there, they actually would prefer a $5 wix filter from auto zone/kragen over a $50 K+N. Stay away from them, get a uni

• dylanr

Posted January 08, 2008 - 01:19 PM

While were on the subject of filters, i just bought a uni filter for $25 on ebay with the aluminum cage, does anyone know if it comes with all of the mounting stuff, or do i have to cobble that myself?

thanks

• Denn10

Posted January 08, 2008 - 01:21 PM

While were on the subject of filters, i just bought a uni filter for $25 on ebay with the aluminum cage, does anyone know if it comes with all of the mounting stuff, or do i have to cobble that myself?

thanks

should be direct fit Ls have a clamp thats part of the air box but if you got a R im assuming its like that prolly to. You should be fine

• dylanr

Posted January 08, 2008 - 02:39 PM

Gread, thanks Denn10

• dylanr

Posted January 08, 2008 - 02:41 PM

greaT

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.