missing [air?] parts on left engine side XR650L 06

9 replies to this topic
  • bachor

Posted January 07, 2008 - 08:58 AM

Hi all,

I'm new here.I've heard about this great forum.

Just bought XR 650 L 2006 from friend from some auction.I couldn't see or try that bike before,so he found and bought this one.
First I noticed 2 holes on left [outside] engine cylinder.Wierd.Then I found few more missing parts on left side.Engine works great btw.It has WhiteBros 2 exhaust.
Then my friend came with exact same bike and we found out that there is on left side on engine missing all the air parts.
Then,we found that there was dome some modifications on the carburettor too.

So probably jetted and modet it.It is much powerful then friends stock bike.

But I'm woried.Is it safe for engine? I will do 50/50 driving.

• wheelnut46

Posted January 07, 2008 - 09:50 AM

Not only is it safe, it's recommended.
It has been "de-smogged". That is the air pump on the side of the engine has been removed and the carb has been re-jetted and an aftermarket pipe has been installed. I'll bet that if you look at the air filter it's not a stock paper one either.
Your friend need to do these same mods to his as his is running lean and probably pops on deceleration.
Good luck with your new bike.

• bachor

Posted January 07, 2008 - 10:32 AM

Ok.I'm kinda new to bikes.I was affraid of screwing something up.

Thank you for your help :banghead:

• Denn10

Posted January 07, 2008 - 10:33 AM

get some pics and then well know exactly what your dealing with Nice score and welcome to TT brother

• martinfan30

Posted January 07, 2008 - 02:03 PM

yes, some pics will positively show us what you are talking about for sure. you are most likely right though. wont cause you any problems either. it is a definate positive to remove the smog equipment and rejet these pigs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bachor

Posted January 07, 2008 - 05:59 PM

I'd like to show some pix,but I don't have a own web page.I can send it anyone who'll PM me his email thou.

But yea,I checked that again and tube,that suppose to go to air pump,goes from air filter directly to the engine block.Under the carburettor.

It runs as hell.I'm bit new.Rode few times on motocross bikes back in Europe.
Today I was driving in apartment complex [because it doesn't have a all papers yet],and I just opened it bit and front wheel started flying almost 2 ft :banghead:

that's fun ;-)
can't wait to drive it offroad.

• martinfan30

Posted January 07, 2008 - 09:08 PM

just go to photobucket.com. its free and easy to post pics once you get used to it.

• Denn10

Posted January 07, 2008 - 10:42 PM

Id say send em ot me but i cant get email from work and its late here today, someone maybe can help. Or join PhotoB like he said and easy to do from there.

• bachor

Posted January 08, 2008 - 08:01 PM

thanks for helping with puting pix on web.

• martinfan30

Posted January 10, 2008 - 01:55 PM

Nice XRL. Thats just the remnants of the smog removal mod.

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.