oil cooler, really? plus protapers installed

2 replies to this topic
  • jeanluconze

Posted January 07, 2008 - 08:46 AM

didn't want to hijack the last thread about oil coolers, so here's my own -

is an oil cooler really all that necessary on an L? You guys that do it, is it only for specific use of your machine? i.e. a lot of highway or all-day rides. It just seems that if jetted right, that engine will chug along just fine without. I haven't seen anything over 250F, even in the tight stuff at higher altitude and 90-100F outside. And I don't run syn.:busted:

On another note, I just installed protaper CR hi bends last night. Not too keen on shaving off those little retaining stumps on the starter and light switches, but even less keen on drilling a hole into a highly engineered aluminum bar. I put some duct tape under them (sticky side down) and that seemed to give them a little more to bite to stay put. Haven't had a chance to ride yet due to rain in SoCal, but they feel like a man's bike should.:banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted January 07, 2008 - 11:09 AM

dont think you have to worry about shaving those locater tits off the accessory switches, ive done it before on other bikes without any problem as im not drilling bars like you said. I will use a cooler cus for me in the desert it will help alot for riding. Heck i even noticed that when i rode the pig to work day after thanksgiving i was still right on 200 degrees going to work AND it was in the high 20s and low 30s for temp???? was surprised but oh well XR400 cooler mod here i come.

• martinfan30

Posted January 07, 2008 - 01:53 PM

plus one on the xr400 cooler... a worthwhile mod. ive heard of 20 deg. temp. drop with these installed. it really cant hurt.

cut those locator dowels off, no prob.

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.