Is it worth revalving my 06 YZ450 suspension?

14 replies to this topic
  • Dan_187

Posted January 07, 2008 - 07:26 AM

I'm only asking because my bikes goes through seals more often than my old bikes (so far 2 fork seals in 1.5 years) and now I see those light dirt rings around them start to form again, and now for the first time I am starting to see them on the shock too. What should I do? Should I have them rebuilt when the time comes or should I revalve them?

I'm not sure what to do because this bike already has really good suspension, I really like it so I don't know if its worth revalving it. If I revalve will that make the seals last longer because if it would then that alone might make it worth it. Also, how much of an improvement does revalving do to this bike?

If I choose to get it done who is the best for YZs? I'm thinking Enzo.

• BBrown626

Posted January 07, 2008 - 07:42 AM

Leaky seals can be caused by dirt, hitting them with the pressure washer or a very hard bottoming. You may have damaged (chip or small scratches) your lower tubes. Revalving probably wont help.

For dirt you might dislodge the dirt by shoving a very thin feeler gauge up there and working it around the seal at an angle to draw the dirt out.

If it is a slight dirt ring, that is normal I think.

Consider changing the seals yourself. It is very easy and the only special tools you might want is a fork oil level adjuster (turkey baster and some tubing) and a fork seal driver (get a Tusk brand driver from Rockey Mountain for cheap). If you are concerned that you don't have the skill, just try it. The worst thing that can happen is that you have to take it to the shop to have them do it--you were going to anyhow. I'll bet there is a tutorial on TT for changing the seals. My manual has the procedure too.

The shock is relatively easy too, but if you can't recharge the bladder with Nitrogen then just take it to a shop and have them do the work.

If you are even slightly mechanically inclined, once you do them yourself you will never pay to do them again and you will keep wondering why you ever paid to have them done.

• bthomas

Posted January 07, 2008 - 03:02 PM

With the dust wipers pulled down, use a tear off or a bit of 35mm camera film to push up between the oil seals and the fork tubes, wipe all the way around, then remove, turn the tear off to a clean corner and repeat 2-3 times. This may get you out of a jam. I have now done done the KYB's on an 06 YZ85, and Showas's on an 06 CRF. Buy a seal driver, worth it's weight in something better than gold even! Trust everybody that tells you to buy one. A PVC pipe is not the ticket! That tool takes about three taps to seat the seal, Think of it as a slide hammer. Anyway, I was nervous the first time but they came out fine. When I did my son's Showas, He said they turned out better than they've ever been. This article from DR is pretty helpfull, along w/your manual.
http://www.dirtrider...nges/index.html

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2008 - 03:20 PM

First, the manual actually specifies cleaning out the area under the dust wipers as described above after every ride. You probably don't really need to do this that often, but I'll bet you hardly ever do it. Apply grease to the fork between the wiper and seals to help intercept dirt.

Second, don't use the OEM seals made for the '06 and later. Use either the MSR-HP seals or use the OEM seals for an '04. They are much more effective and durable.

• todds924

Posted January 07, 2008 - 03:46 PM

First, the manual actually specifies cleaning out the area under the dust wipers as described above after every ride. You probably don't really need to do this that often, but I'll bet you hardly ever do it. Apply grease to the fork between the wiper and seals to help intercept dirt.

Second, don't use the OEM seals made for the '06 and later. Use either the MSR-HP seals or use the OEM seals for an '04. They are much more effective and durable.

+2 on the MSR HP seals. I have had nothing but bad luck using the stock 06-08 oem seals. It seems like the life expectancy gets shorter and shorter with them. It varies from a few races to ten races and then its always one side or the other that starts leaking...never both at the same time......unless i do a real muddy race. The pulling down the dust seals and using some film to clean out the seals works awesome but using the MSR seals is better. They just seal better than the OEM's. Maybe put a little more drag on the tube but you wouldn't notice it.

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2008 - 04:43 PM

Todd, thanks for reminding me about mud. In muddy conditions, you'll get a ring of dried mud on your lower fork legs at the lower limit of travel. If this is higher than the lowest point the fork can compress to, it can get jammed up under the seal, since it will be too hard for the dust wipers to remove once it dries. To avoid this, wipe the mud ring off between rides with a wet rag before riding it again.

• twenty34

Posted January 07, 2008 - 08:06 PM

I'm only asking because my bikes goes through seals more often than my old bikes (so far 2 fork seals in 1.5 years) and now I see those light dirt rings around them start to form again, and now for the first time I am starting to see them on the shock too. What should I do? Should I have them rebuilt when the time comes or should I revalve them?

I'm not sure what to do because this bike already has really good suspension, I really like it so I don't know if its worth revalving it. If I revalve will that make the seals last longer because if it would then that alone might make it worth it. Also, how much of an improvement does revalving do to this bike?

If I choose to get it done who is the best for YZs? I'm thinking Enzo.

So if I recall, the 06's had some issues with fork seals leaking. I think one of mine ended up leaking as well so I end up getting a revalve since it was all going to be disassembled anyway. Best money I ever spent. The bike handles GREAT as a result and it's just a remarkable experience. It will also help quite a bit with the turning of the bike.

As for reputable shops, they all should be able to do good work - Enzo, FC, etc.

There are two of us on this forum, myself and rickallen that are big fans of MB1. They have done remarkable work to our YZ's and techically speaking, they are a Showa shop. In fact, I'd say the work they did on my YZ feels better than on my CRF. For about $400, it's something you won't regret.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2008 - 09:05 PM

There are two of us on this forum, myself and rickallen that are big fans of MB1. They have done remarkable work to our YZ's and techically speaking, they are a Showa shop. In fact, I'd say the work they did on my YZ feels better than on my CRF. For about $400, it's something you won't regret.

I think you'll find that you have company. MB1 has been recommended more tan once, and that's a good price.

• todds924

Posted January 07, 2008 - 09:29 PM

For everyone looking to have there suspension re-valved!!!! It pays to do your homework on reputable companies....For every reputable company that does proper work, there are 100 who don't. I have found this true especially in the suspension markets. So everybody who offers feedback to different companies they have dealt with...Thank You!!!!!!

• Dan_187

Posted January 08, 2008 - 11:44 AM

I've never went under my seals to clean the dirt, but I have cleaned them off as close as I could get to the seal.

BBrown, ya I noticed these most recent rings after a ride with many bottomings. For those of you that know, I was at Starwest and I flatlanded quite a few of their little jumps there. A 450 is WAY too fast to ride at that little track. I was either in 2nd riding it hard and feeling good or in 3rd torquing it and overshooting shit.

• wheeldude

Posted January 08, 2008 - 11:53 AM

Had Pro Action Florida revalve and respring my 07 YZ450F. I am 220 lbs, and stock was too soft. What a difference it makes to have the bike set up for me!!!! I have had other suspension co. do the suspension on previous bikes, but none were as confidence inspiring and handle as well as the Pro Action. I give Pro Action Suspension 2 thumbs up !!! WD

• rickallen124

Posted January 08, 2008 - 10:11 PM

A revalve is probably the best thing you could do for the money. MB1 did wonders for my bike. It soaks everything up and handles great. If you get the revalve done just remember that it can only be as good as the info you provide the tuner. The more info and the more accurate it is the better the suspension will work for you. Usually if guy has a problem with a reputable company it's because the info wasn't accurate. For example: says he's intermediate when he's really fast enough to run with the pros or the opposite. Same with a riders weight. Best of luck to you.

• BBrown626

Posted January 09, 2008 - 06:47 AM

I've never went under my seals to clean the dirt, but I have cleaned them off as close as I could get to the seal.

BBrown, ya I noticed these most recent rings after a ride with many bottomings. For those of you that know, I was at Starwest and I flatlanded quite a few of their little jumps there. A 450 is WAY too fast to ride at that little track. I was either in 2nd riding it hard and feeling good or in 3rd torquing it and overshooting shit.

Agree, I paid $100 for me and my son to get memberships and ride there once. Way too small and hard. I primarily ride Perris, Milestone and Cahuilla Creek. They are all better soil and better maintained in addition to being larger.

Brent

• Dan_187

Posted January 13, 2008 - 11:13 AM

Agree, I paid $100 for me and my son to get memberships and ride there once. Way too small and hard. I primarily ride Perris, Milestone and Cahuilla Creek. They are all better soil and better maintained in addition to being larger.

Brent

I like the 3 Hi desert tracks too (comp, adelanto, racetown) starwest is just too small for me to go fast on, it feels like i either have to do a bubba scrub (lol) or really slow down in order to not overshoot those jumps.

• Slinkyman16

Posted January 13, 2008 - 06:40 PM

I like the 3 Hi desert tracks too (comp, adelanto, racetown) starwest is just too small for me to go fast on, it feels like i either have to do a bubba scrub (lol) or really slow down in order to not overshoot those jumps.

dont froget adelento motoplex. lol.. but im in the same situation right now. i blew my fork seal out today actually and now wondering if i should revalve. im only 205 and i really like how my bike handles.. i dont know if i should.. anyway i agree starwest is way to small. cemx, racetown, and adelento motoplex, all much better tracks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.