yzf 400 stopped on sat.

14 replies to this topic
  • crfnick

Posted January 06, 2008 - 09:43 PM

couldnt resist the rainy conditions and went for a ride. on the way home it shuts down on me like i ran out of gas, but i had at least half a tank left. I go to start it again and with the compression release pulled in i cant even begin to clear it out. I check to see if it was even pulling in and it is. So i thought i might run this by some of you on here before getting in to it. Oh to save the questions, oil and coolant are both good levels.

Thank you for the info.

• stnkbg1

Posted January 06, 2008 - 10:47 PM

Sounds like what happened to my 400 recently. I lost the big end rod bearing, which essentially seized the crank in place. Still workin on fixing it. :banghead:

• crfnick

Posted January 07, 2008 - 07:29 AM

nice, it sounds expensive:banghead:

• 642MX

Posted January 07, 2008 - 10:50 AM

nice, it sounds expensive:banghead:

It depends on what it takes out when it seizes. Which in your case sounds like the big end bearing seized, which is not cheap.

• stnkbg1

Posted January 08, 2008 - 06:41 AM

Yeah, not cheap. I'm just rebuilding mine as a 426, since the cost is about the same. Gonna be just shy of $900. If your pison and cylinder are good you can save about half that by reusing the originals.

• crfnick

Posted January 08, 2008 - 03:25 PM

nope, just got done investigating and the cylinder needs to be redone, new piston, and the bottom bearing to the connecting rod is frozen. the crank seems to be moving fine but who knows what kind of shape it is in. I think i might just put it back together or not and take it to a salvage yard and try to get as much as i can. its got a hydro clutch, er triple clamp, renthal twin wall bars and wb e series exhaust on it, and a new front wheel. Its eitherthis bike or the 06 crf250, and the 250 has new valves on the way. Anybody know what i could get for the yz400 in the condition.

• Yz400Flyer

Posted January 08, 2008 - 04:15 PM

nope, just got done investigating and the cylinder needs to be redone, new piston, and the bottom bearing to the connecting rod is frozen. the crank seems to be moving fine but who knows what kind of shape it is in. I think i might just put it back together or not and take it to a salvage yard and try to get as much as i can. its got a hydro clutch, er triple clamp, renthal twin wall bars and wb e series exhaust on it, and a new front wheel. Its eitherthis bike or the 06 crf250, and the 250 has new valves on the way. Anybody know what i could get for the yz400 in the condition.

Probably a 1000 since it is not running... but you would make more money parting it out on eBay or something like that, selling little parts at the time adds up.

I wouldn't mind getting the hydro clutch and triple clamps myself.

AVM

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaha racing 230

Posted January 09, 2008 - 08:03 PM

how much u asking for the wb e seres those pipes sound bad a$$

• stnkbg1

Posted January 09, 2008 - 11:24 PM

Probably a 1000 since it is not running... but you would make more money parting it out on eBay or something like that, selling little parts at the time adds up.

I highly doubt you'd get more than a few hundred bucks from a salvage yard. You can buy running 400s for $1500 around here, and the motor is the most expensive part. Either fixing it, or parting it out is gonna be your best bet.

• rdefonce

Posted January 10, 2008 - 09:45 AM

I highly doubt you'd get more than a few hundred bucks from a salvage yard. You can buy running 400s for $1500 around here, and the motor is the most expensive part. Either fixing it, or parting it out is gonna be your best bet.

Interesting, everything else in Cali is expensive (fuel, homes, land, etc.) but at least you can get decent deals on bikes!

Still got my original '99 400F that I bought new, with damned low hours for it's age. (most parts still original, even sprockets :-o still in decent shape)
That gives me an idea what it's worth, hopefully a bit more than $1500 (I'm thinkin' about selling it)

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2008 - 10:13 AM

Interesting, everything else in Cali is expensive (fuel, homes, land, etc.) but at least you can get decent deals on bikes!

Everybody wants the new stuff. I just sold my '03 for $2400. 426's can go for about that sometimes, but mostly because of their Green Sticker status. 400's are down the list quite a ways here.

• rdefonce

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:27 AM

Everybody wants the new stuff. I just sold my '03 for $2400. 426's can go for about that sometimes, but mostly because of their Green Sticker status. 400's are down the list quite a ways here.

If your '03 was in good shape, that sounds like a good deal to me.
I'm leery about buying used (don't know what it's been thru) but man what a better value than buying new.:-o

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:39 AM

If your '03 was in good shape, that sounds like a good deal to me.

It was fair at that price. It was "currently" in good shape, but the chain had only about another half season on it, and the sprockets were finally getting a bit worn. Plus, even though it still ran really well and showed decent leak downs, it had never been opened up, and everything on it was 4 years old with pretty high hours. The buyer knows all that, BTW.

• crfnick

Posted January 11, 2008 - 08:17 PM

I think I will part it out (got the thing apart already). Is there a place on here where I can get an idea on what to ask for these parts.

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2008 - 09:08 PM

Look in the classifieds, and watch eBay. If you're talking about the YZ450, you might also check on some of the shifter kart forums. You could sell the engine in a week over there. Next hottest thing would be the wheels.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.