give me some opinions ttr's

12 replies to this topic
  • JMC

Posted January 06, 2008 - 07:23 PM

Have a chance to trade (snowmobile, good trade) for a 97' (clean) xr600 I have a 96 xr400 now so this would be a extra bike, buddy bike or poss. sell come summer. Wondering if the market for the xr's is gone or if they are still popular. I just trail ride/kid chase and wouldn't mind having an extra bike for ice, dual sport or project. I have had several xr6's but have not looked to buy or sell a xr in a while. Just waisting some time checking out the forums and thought I would see what everyone has to say. Thanks

• JMC

Posted January 08, 2008 - 11:44 AM

No opinions? No bashing?

• martinfan30

Posted January 08, 2008 - 12:08 PM

Have a chance to trade (snowmobile, good trade) for a 97' (clean) xr600 I have a 96 xr400 now so this would be a extra bike, buddy bike or poss. sell come summer. Wondering if the market for the xr's is gone or if they are still popular. I just trail ride/kid chase and wouldn't mind having an extra bike for ice, dual sport or project. I have had several xr6's but have not looked to buy or sell a xr in a while. Just waisting some time checking out the forums and thought I would see what everyone has to say. Thanks

i would do it. how much do you use the snowmobile? the 600 is a great bike. if its really clean i'd do it. what kind of snowmobile?

• JMC

Posted January 09, 2008 - 02:39 PM

It is a 96 indy xlt. common sled. I am looking at the xr tonight. I just was wondering if there was a market or a desire for them. A few years back when I was looking for a xr6 I couldn't find one. Love my 400 and figured another 600 wouldn't hurt my feelings much and the wife is ok w/it (the hardest part as we all know LOL)

• martinfan30

Posted January 09, 2008 - 02:54 PM

Yes, the wife thing!LOL!

They are still fairly desireable if its as clean as you say. Great bikes.

• scalejockey

Posted January 09, 2008 - 05:52 PM

The xr 600 is getting to be more popular simply because too many people have been burned by one of the newer 450's.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JMC

Posted January 09, 2008 - 06:09 PM

Well it is as nice as I had hoped for. I posted a few questions on some issues I had w/it in another post. I couldn't this one again :banghead: so I started another on it. Thanks

• martinfan30

Posted January 09, 2008 - 06:09 PM

The xr 600 is getting to be more popular simply because too many people have been burned by one of the newer 450's.

I agree. The maintenance issue on the modern 450's has got to be a real headache!:banghead:

The draw of the RFVC Honda engines is the reliabilty. They dont need the continual valve adjustments, O/H's that are needed for a HIGH performance 450.

Plus there are numerous companies with many hop up parts.

• BBA

Posted January 10, 2008 - 04:50 AM

It is a 96 indy xlt. common sled. I am looking at the xr tonight. I just was wondering if there was a market or a desire for them. A few years back when I was looking for a xr6 I couldn't find one. Love my 400 and figured another 600 wouldn't hurt my feelings much and the wife is ok w/it (the hardest part as we all know LOL)

I think anytime you can score another XR and if your not using your snow sled then go for it. The wife's ok is another plus. I have told my wife several times that THIS BIKE is the last motorcycle Im going to buy only to eat those words and hear the sarcasm for weeks. I even went as far as buying her a nice little XR250R (great deal I could not pass up) but she was not near as excited as I was about her bike???:banghead:

• JMC

Posted January 10, 2008 - 05:30 AM

The words "this is the last bike I'll buy" has become a staple of my diet! Only issues w/the bike is the suspension. Shorten by PS and the shock seems blown, no damp. or rebound. The orig. fork springs are included and an extra r. spring but it does not look like a stock one. Anyone have a good cheap shock or stock r. spring? I don't want too much of a investment right off the start. It has the 4 stroke hiccup and stall too that I'll have to sort out.?

• scalejockey

Posted January 10, 2008 - 05:59 AM

the race tech spring page says that stock measures OD 63.5xID 59.5xL 220.@11 kg
I have a stock "R" spring but it's a little bigger and i'm not sure it will fit.
ID 62mm L 240MM @9.2 kg

• JMC

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:41 AM

Thanks. I called around to check on some service costs for the current shock:eek: I may be better off letting this deal go. I am wondering how far the po went to shorten the height (he was a mech. at the shop the bike was purchased from, no longer there, I checked). Wonder if he shortened the shock shaft, that would require a new/newused shock or maybe he changed the dog bones w/ a lowering kit.:banghead: Current owner does not know much about bike as far as the susp. mods go. I don't want to dump a ton of $$$ on this. Can't find any used shocks on eaby either:cry: :busted: :ride: :D

• JMC

Posted January 11, 2008 - 12:48 PM

Still looking for ideas. Anyone lower their susp.? Not sure how tall it should be stock. I could rebuild the r. shock but if PO cut the shock shaft I would be in for it. Has anyone heard of doing it this way? The bike just feels like it had only about 5" of travel. Because it was lowered or becuase it is so stiff??? Just not sure what to do, don't want a project.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.