Xr600 Won't Start!!! Not Carb. Related...

13 replies to this topic
  • mmmechanics

Posted January 06, 2008 - 06:05 PM

This is actually pretty embarresing, I am a motorcycle technician and ended up purchasing this bike that blew a hole through the center of the piston. I have done the following: carburetor overhaul & dipped in carburetor DIP, replaced timing chain, new piston & rings, new valves, cut new seat to make sure they sealed properly. I am getting spark, fuel and compression. The cam chain is perfectly alligned. I go to start it and it wil fire for 1 revolution of the engine, then backfire. Anyone ever experence this problem and find out what was wrong? Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

• frankstr

Posted January 06, 2008 - 07:14 PM

If You have compression, spark, fuel, with air it should run....sounds like cam timing, valve adjustment, or ???....:banghead:

• dmvmechanics

Posted January 06, 2008 - 08:34 PM

which end does it backfire out of?

• jetfuel

Posted January 06, 2008 - 09:08 PM

+1 on the cam timing or valve adjustment...

• mmmechanics

Posted January 06, 2008 - 09:37 PM

Thats what so weird. The cam timing is perfect, valve clearance is perfect, it backfires out the exhaust and sounds like a shotgun going off. I have never been stumped on a bike like this. I have been doing this for 7 years for a living and have never had this problem before. I can't figure it out! I am starting to lead towards the stator since it sits in oil but from bench testing it and kicking it over, it meets Honda's OEM specs. I don't know, what do you guys think???

• jetfuel

Posted January 06, 2008 - 10:01 PM

What about the decompressor leaving the exhaust valve hang open ??

• suharianu

Posted January 06, 2008 - 11:35 PM

spark and valve timing are out of sync

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted January 07, 2008 - 05:31 AM

spark and valve timing are out of sync

I agree.

• martinfan30

Posted January 07, 2008 - 02:08 PM

has to be valvetrain related.

UNLESS, the pilot circuit is clogged or restricted.

• cleonard

Posted January 07, 2008 - 02:12 PM

If you took it off make sure the cam like thing that makes the timing signal in aligned correctly. Some XR's didn't have a index mark and it could be installed on any spline, not just the correct one.

I'm talking about the thing that is on the clutch side of the engine.

It is unlikely the stator. The ignition winding only supplies the power to the CDI. The timing for the spark comes from the coil on the other side of the engine.

• hotdog1975

Posted January 07, 2008 - 02:18 PM

Make sure you check your woodruff key on your crank/stator drive has not sheared...???

• lilbro

Posted January 08, 2008 - 09:09 AM

My XR650R back fired through the exhaust when new. It quit after uncorking it. When I had the carb apart I turned down the idle adjuster. It ran like yours does, a couple of revolutions then dies, I turned up the idle and it runs great.

Your problem is probably more complicated than mine was but take a step back, and look at the simple stuff.

• Butta

Posted January 08, 2008 - 07:09 PM

This is actually pretty embarresing, I am a motorcycle technician and ended up purchasing this bike that blew a hole through the center of the piston. I have done the following: carburetor overhaul & dipped in carburetor DIP, replaced timing chain, new piston & rings, new valves, cut new seat to make sure they sealed properly. I am getting spark, fuel and compression. The cam chain is perfectly alligned. I go to start it and it wil fire for 1 revolution of the engine, then backfire. Anyone ever experence this problem and find out what was wrong? Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

Is it really cold out? The reason I ask....I just bought a 600 used, and while at the dealer trying to get it started took me, the salesman, and two mechanics kicking it to finally get it to run more than a couple revolutions. Don't know why, but maybe it was just really cold and the mixture was too lean? I'm in the process of putting in a new piston/rings and tear into the carburetor. The previous piston looked nearly new, and the valves were perfectly in spec, so I'm guessing it's in the carb. This bike came from sea level, and I'm at 4800', but it was about 25 degrees, so I'm thinking the jetting was still lean.

Are these bikes typically hard to start when cold? Once it got started and warmed up, it fired up on the first kick...

• XR6's_rule

Posted January 08, 2008 - 08:53 PM

Check the simple stuff first. Make sure the fuel is fresh and the carby clean. Check the spark - it should jump a distance of 10mm from ground when you kick it over hard (get someone to help you do this check). Also make sure your valve clearances are correct, if you have a tight valve you will lose compression, thus only getting a backfire when you try to start the bike. Failing this check your ignition timing, which requires a timing light that you may or may not have. Good luck, let us know how you go!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.