Aux oil capacity

16 replies to this topic
  • johnnyjeep

Posted January 05, 2008 - 09:32 PM

Has anyone figured out a way to add an oil tank to increase the capcity for the 06 wr450?
Thanks
John in Vegas

• tweav

Posted January 05, 2008 - 10:30 PM

I'm going to weld a oil tank into my skidplate for my 07 wr450

• johnnyjeep

Posted January 06, 2008 - 02:55 AM

I'm going to weld a oil tank into my skidplate for my 07 wr450

Do you have any ideas yet? How much will it hold, how is it going to be designed for draining/changing oil?
John in Vegas

• clark4131

Posted January 06, 2008 - 05:38 AM

Read this...SC

• tweav

Posted January 06, 2008 - 12:29 PM

I think somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of a qt.

Posted Image

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 06, 2008 - 03:07 PM

I think somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of a qt.

Posted Image

like some one said in the thread sc posted....what happens when you smash a rock where the skid pan and oil cooler are? i know its un likely but when your down in mexico and 300 miles from the truck the last thing you want is that to happen.

also do you want an oil cooler to cool not just hold more...i have had no problems with oil and my 06 but i wish it held at least another half quart of oil.

• tweav

Posted January 06, 2008 - 05:18 PM

what I was thinking incase I smash it . First thing is I'm am thinking I would know that I hit something hard .

step 2 turn off bike.
step 3 check for leaks
step 4 found a leak now what?
what I was thinking was to make the tanks line the stock lenth so that if it did fail I could just hook the line back to the block and check the oil level then go.

• johnnyjeep

Posted January 07, 2008 - 05:37 PM

like some one said in the thread sc posted....what happens when you smash a rock where the skid pan and oil cooler are? i know its un likely but when your down in mexico and 300 miles from the truck the last thing you want is that to happen.

also do you want an oil cooler to cool not just hold more...i have had no problems with oil and my 06 but i wish it held at least another half quart of oil.

Ive got the gtyr plate and ride in rocks a lot. I have hit hard on the plate with no holes or cracks. I wouldnt be "that" concerned especially if he welds the tank on the plate as opposed to using the plate as one of the walls of the tank.

One of the concerns I have had while daydreaming about this is if your reserve is higher than the motor (which tweav's design isnt), will too much oil drain into the case when sitting and cause problems when firing it back up?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • spidennis

Posted January 07, 2008 - 06:14 PM

hey johnnyjeep, remember when I had that TAT thread going on the dualsport thread? I was looking into this also .... I saw that the euro side car guys made some oil tank mods .....

note: I no longer have the url to these pics .....
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• tweav

Posted January 08, 2008 - 04:38 AM

Man I wish I could get to my carb on 07 wr450 as e-z as side car willy there.I may sound dumb but what is the side car for?

• spidennis

Posted January 08, 2008 - 05:24 AM

Man I wish I could get to my carb on 07 wr450 as e-z as side car willy there.I may sound dumb but what is the side car for?

they race this contraption! on mx tracks! do a google search and you'll find all kinds of euro nuts doing this! The monkey may be the craziest of them all though ......

now, back to oil storage and coolers .... yeah, I gather these machines need the extra oil for the extra load they carry ......

• spidennis

Posted January 10, 2008 - 05:59 PM

johnnyjeep, I think I found what you're looking for? (and what I'm looking for?)

..... and it's for sale:
http://web.mac.com/a...it English.html

Posted Image

• tweav

Posted January 11, 2008 - 12:27 AM

I'll post some pics when I get it done.I may make a oil cooler too. But 1 thing at a time for now

• spidennis

Posted January 11, 2008 - 04:40 AM

I'll post some pics when I get it done.I may make a oil cooler too. But 1 thing at a time for now

tweav, did you see clark's post and link? while that didn't have an extra tank, it is an external cooler which does hold extra oil ....

• tweav

Posted January 11, 2008 - 06:17 AM

yes I saw it and I may do some thing along the same line.

• spidennis

Posted January 11, 2008 - 06:43 AM

...... and of course we all want to see some pics! I can say "we" can't I?

• tweav

Posted January 11, 2008 - 08:05 AM

well I really don't to see any pics , So you can leave the me out of that we .I want to see the real thing as some as I have some time to build it.:banghead: :busted: :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.