My XR650l project.

14 replies to this topic
  • SBR_Racing

Posted January 05, 2008 - 07:22 AM

Hey guys, I've been searching for a dual sport for awhile and after searching all the forums I decided to get an XR650l. I really like what some of you have done to your bikes, battery relocation, tire swaps, suspension upgrades.
Anyways I got a hold of a 1993 XR650l with 5500 miles for 1800 and it's time to start the mods. Before Pics of my XR

I need some input on how to do some of the mods I want to do.
First, I'm going to paint the frame silver or metallic gray (any thoughts)

Second, I'm going to relocate the battery and get an xr600 side plate

Third, I'm going to get the new Aloop conversion kit, (Are these any good)

Fourth, I'm going to some suspension work, for the rear I'm going to try and adapt a Honda VFR single side swing arm and tire for the rear, in the front I want to try and use CR500 forks and have the tubes shorten to match the rear end with a VFR rim. Or use the VFR forks, if not too short, (any suggestions)

I want to try and make a oil cooler out of the swing arm, I'm sure it's possible to run some oil lines.
I'm going to hold off on engine mods until I have the bike look the way I want it....

• martinfan30

Posted January 07, 2008 - 08:25 AM

Hey guys, I've been searching for a dual sport for awhile and after searching all the forums I decided to get an XR650l. I really like what some of you have done to your bikes, battery relocation, tire swaps, suspension upgrades.
Anyways I got a hold of a 1993 XR650l with 5500 miles for 1800 and it's time to start the mods. Before Pics of my XR

I need some input on how to do some of the mods I want to do.
First, I'm going to paint the frame silver or metallic gray (any thoughts)

Second, I'm going to relocate the battery and get an xr600 side plate

Third, I'm going to get the new Aloop conversion kit, (Are these any good)

Fourth, I'm going to some suspension work, for the rear I'm going to try and adapt a Honda VFR single side swing arm and tire for the rear, in the front I want to try and use CR500 forks and have the tubes shorten to match the rear end with a VFR rim. Or use the VFR forks, if not too short, (any suggestions)

I want to try and make a oil cooler out of the swing arm, I'm sure it's possible to run some oil lines.
I'm going to hold off on engine mods until I have the bike look the way I want it....

let me know if you need answers or pics on the relo...

• tgstoken

Posted January 07, 2008 - 08:58 AM

Good luck with that Aloop fuel tank. Its only a 2 gallon capacity. Thats even smaller than the anemic stock tank. You would only have a range of around 70 miles or so. Yuck.:banghead: I would get a hi-cap tank instead. (Actually, I did:applause: )

• Denn10

Posted January 07, 2008 - 11:06 AM

MAN you wanna go WILD....swingarm oil cooler, VFR swingarm THATS ALOT. Painting the frame is the easiest LOL

• SBR_Racing

Posted January 19, 2008 - 07:59 AM

Ok I've gotten the swing arm and both wheels off the VFR,,,
I'm starting to take the XR down to the frame.
My oil cooler idea is going to work I think, the swing arm looks like it could hold a gallon of oil.
I do need some ideas on what front end to use, I've also got the front forks from the VFR but there way to short and the tubes don't fit the triple tree.
I like the Aloop kit but the fuel mileage is not going to work.
Do they still make those rear fenders that hold gas anymore??? or something I can add to carry more gas.

• cleonard

Posted January 19, 2008 - 08:21 AM

Just wondering what you are planning on doing with the bike when it is done. I would be concerned about strength issues with the single sided swingarm and hard off road use. If you plan on mostly street use with a litttle dirt road action then this is not nearly as much of a concern. I'd guess that the frame might not be up to the twisting forces that arise from that swingarm. Take a look at the VFR frame and there is a lot more metal there to add stiffness. The XRL frame is not the stiffest bike frame in the world. Likewise I would worry about all that oil piping in order to get the oil to the swingarm. I does sound like it would work pretty well to cool the oil as there is a lot of surface area for heat transfer.

Plenty of riders have adapted USD forks from 90' 2 stroke Honda's. It has been covered here several times. There is a ton of info here on conversions like the forks. Do some searches. If you don't find what you are looking for ask specific questions.

It does sound like a cool project. We love pictures. Keep us updated.

• Old Graybeard

Posted January 19, 2008 - 01:02 PM

Hey Martinfan, I'll take some pics/info on that battery relo. Long cold winter here in O-HI-O. I'm bored. What side panel fits once you take that extra hardware off the side of the frame? Thanks man. OGB (07 L)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted January 20, 2008 - 09:30 AM

I've still got the stock panel. I know of some who adapted the slimmer 600R panel to them. If you have any ? let me know!:cool:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Old Graybeard

Posted January 20, 2008 - 11:41 AM

Thanks a bunch. OGB

• mperry70

Posted January 20, 2008 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for the pics.

• b2dude

Posted January 20, 2008 - 07:54 PM

what rear fender is that?

• martinfan30

Posted January 21, 2008 - 09:04 AM

what rear fender is that?

Crf450 rear, xr400 front.

• b2dude

Posted January 21, 2008 - 12:35 PM

i was gonna do the pod filter but then found this guy who put his battery under the seat instead of the air box. either way this looks like it'll be an interesting build. subscribed.

• martinfan30

Posted January 21, 2008 - 01:01 PM

I think I might get a crf450x battery and do it that way too.

• briand0037

Posted June 22, 2015 - 07:47 AM

Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but how'd that single sided swing arm swap work out for you? Was there a lot of modding needed to make it fit? I plan on doing the same thing. 

Edited by briand0037, June 22, 2015 - 07:47 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.