08 RM-Z250 vs. 08 YZ250F

49 replies to this topic
  • jcobb150

Posted January 04, 2008 - 09:18 PM

I am looking at buying both after this summer. I am trying to collect as much UNBIASED opinions as I can as to which bike you guys think would be better for me.

Height: 6'2''
Weight: 155 (with gear)
Experience: Will be 2 years next October
Ability: Currently on 97 CR125. Riding top of D class. Should move up to C for outdoors.

Here's what I have collected about the Yamaha:

-Amazing reliability
-Good all around motor
-Good all around suspension
-Doesn't particularly do any one thing the best, but does all very good and is a VERY VERY awesome bike

Here's what I collected about the Zook:

-AMAZING SUSPENSION: Best of the 250F's
-Motor has lots of bottom-mid, but comes up short up top. Easy fix
-Clutch problems???
-Reliability has improved greatly from the SF models
-Overall an also really really great bike

Based on my size, I am leaning towards the Yamaha, I've heard it is more friendly to the taller rider. I just love the look of Suzuki's and the contingency program cannot be beat. Which really pulls me toward Suzuki. I really torn 50-50 with this. I need someone to convince me one way or the other.

• YZ250F06

Posted January 04, 2008 - 09:26 PM

Well the contigency for Yamaha isnt that bad either. They're both only for big events, and the top of the class.

They usually don't have payouts for D class, and if you're moving up a class you won't likely be the top runner unless you were seriously sand bagging it.

I'd go with the Yamaha. Sure, I have a yamaha but they are strong bikes and they handle great. The suspension is just as good if not better than the Suzuki in my opinon, just make sure to get it revalved and resprung and you'll be set.

Yamaha is probably the most reliable, I've heard about clutch problems and exploding plates with RMZ's.

You're biggest concern should be what dealers are around you, and what mechanics can help you out (if there are Yamaha mechanics, they may have parts at hand).

For 6'2 and 155 with gear, you're pretty DANG skinny, and would be highly recommended to have a revalve. Include that in this whole equation.

• jcobb150

Posted January 04, 2008 - 09:37 PM

Yeah. I'm skinny. But fit. I dont look like a bulemic (no offense to anyone who that might offend). I thought my weight was at the bottom of the suggested weight for these 250F's??

The thing with contingency, is that Yamaha pays at the end of the whole series, and Suzuki pays per event. They both pay for the Victory Sports Mega Series, which I will doing MOST of, but if Yamaha pays at the end of the Series, then I get screwed unless I do every single race. Which I won't end up doing. Thats the only thing with Yamaha contingency. I can for the most part keep up with my friends that ride C and do pretty well. But the whole D class around me sandbags, so it's usually a good battle up front in D.

I LOVED my friends 07 Yamaha, I can only imagine with the 08 is like. The suspension is set up for him (240 lbs), so it was off for me, but it still felt really smooth and planted in the corners and doubles. I love the seat/tank area. Just seemed like the perfect bike for me. I haven't ever ridden a Zook 250F, but would like to just to compare.

• mog

Posted January 05, 2008 - 01:54 AM

i didnt like my 06 yzf at all, it wouldnt turn well, the suspension was harsh compared to the 07 rmz i have now, for your weight the suspension on the yzf will need some work, the rmz wont, i am sure the yzf is a great bike but i never grew to like it, it was like a jap car, it was efficient but souless, the rmz is like best 250f i have ever ridden,it steers and feels much more like a 125 than any other 250f, the yzf felt like a tank to be honest.I have kept my 2007 for another season(a first for me) dont worry about the clutch issues, on the 07 its rare and the 08 has basically a rmz 450 clutch assembly so it should not break.

Posted January 05, 2008 - 08:02 AM

Yams are a funking handling and feeling bikes, you either love them or hate them. The exception is the YZ 125.

• stavendirtbike

Posted January 06, 2008 - 07:32 AM

I have the 08 rmz250. This bike is awesome and I have been doing well with local indoor racing this winter on it. I'm only 130 lbs, 5'7''. I had it re-sprung. Coming off an 01 yz250f, this rmz is a turning dream. Carves a line like nothing. Suspension works flawlessly. This bike has super nice low-mid range, it does fall short on top but that's ok, I don't like revving the 4strokes to that point, just shift it up! This bike, is also super easy to start, cold, hot, after a crash, it starts pretty easily. The bike also just looks awesome! I've heard good things about the yamaha, but I suffered from a top heavy 01 yz250f, that didn't turn well, so I wanted to try something different. I'm sure either will be a great choice. Personally, I would just seperate them by what color you like better, and what better deal you will get, both are great machines.

• onenastynotch

Posted January 07, 2008 - 04:20 PM

ive ridden almost alll of the 07s and i personally own a 07 suzuki.....great handling bike awsome suspesnion and ive had zero clutch problems i am a top 3 c rider at my track moving up to be this year possibly i have 55 hrs on my bike and its runs like a dream

• jcobb150

Posted January 09, 2008 - 06:45 PM

thanks for the info so far guys. one more thing though. I've heard that the Yam is more friendly to the taller rider, where the Zook suits the shorter guy better. Does anyone know this to be a fact. Seeing as how I am 6'2" I think something that fits a taller guy better would be the better choice.

• onenastynotch

Posted January 09, 2008 - 07:16 PM

honest with ya its more from suzukis choice of handlebars then anything... put a set of yamaha bend fat bars on it and it gets more roomy

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:12 AM

honest with ya its more from suzukis choice of handlebars then anything... put a set of yamaha bend fat bars on it and it gets more roomy

agreed, with the right bars the 07-08 RMZ is very roomy, IM 6ft and have no cramped feeling at all on the RMZ.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • metalmachinery

Posted January 10, 2008 - 09:34 AM

I installed Applied risers in forward position with stock bar. Im 6' and very comfortable.

• Yamaha48

Posted January 12, 2008 - 07:31 AM

I have an 04 rmz250 and a 06 yz250f. The rmz seemed to handle better but motor wise there quite similar. But The rmz had a handful of problems exp. the 04-06 rmz's. I guess there both really good bikes tho.

• mxjeff575

Posted January 12, 2008 - 09:33 AM

I agree with MOG's analogy about the jap car...."efficient but soul-less". I had an 06 YZ250F...rode it for 2 seasons...very efficient...didn't do anything bad...but also...kinda bland. I just bought an "almost new" 07 RMZ-250. While for me, the RMZ needs just a bit more set-up, it is FUN and has personality. I love the turning also :banghead:
I'm 6'3", and i use Pro-taper adjustable upper triple clamps and my favorite bar bend on both bikes and they both fit fine.

• motomike1000

Posted January 13, 2008 - 06:14 PM

yzs hold up better and will smoke the rmz,period.the rms do turn tho n feel very lite

• motoracer11

Posted January 17, 2008 - 01:54 AM

i have an 06 zook and i rode my bike and an 06 yami back to back when they were both bone stock and i thought my bike pulled ALOT harder our of corners and felt better all the way through. i'm sure they have changed quite a bit but as far as an 06' goes....SUZUKI 100% IMO

that is not biased btw...i really feel the susp and motor are a lot better on the zook...and my bike is really reliable...NEVER a single problem EVER and it probably has about 40-50 hrs on it...most of which are fairly hard riding. keep the oil and filters changed and keep everything lubed regularly and almost anything will last:thumbsup:

• onenastynotch

Posted January 17, 2008 - 07:45 PM

i have yet to be smoked by any yzf including a brand new 08 yzf...i rode it....it has good topened about the same as my 07 with my procircuit pipe but terrible off the bottom thru the mid compared to my bike....the kid whop bought the 08 has faster laptimes on my bike then he does on his yammi which is pretty funny

• CRF250dude26

Posted January 20, 2008 - 08:14 AM

i have an 06 zook and i rode my bike and an 06 yami back to back when they were both bone stock and i thought my bike pulled ALOT harder our of corners and felt better all the way through. i'm sure they have changed quite a bit but as far as an 06' goes....SUZUKI 100% IMO

that is not biased btw...i really feel the susp and motor are a lot better on the zook...and my bike is really reliable...NEVER a single problem EVER and it probably has about 40-50 hrs on it...most of which are fairly hard riding. keep the oil and filters changed and keep everything lubed regularly and almost anything will last:thumbsup:

You might be right about the motor but the suspension on the YZ is 1000000000000X's better, your the first person I have ever heard that said the RMZ suspension is good. I rode a 05 and the front forks would bottom out if you looked at them wrong.

• jcobb150

Posted January 20, 2008 - 09:32 AM

You might be right about the motor but the suspension on the YZ is 1000000000000X's better, your the first person I have ever heard that said the RMZ suspension is good. I rode a 05 and the front forks would bottom out if you looked at them wrong.

HAHAHA

• cantwait

Posted January 20, 2008 - 04:30 PM

I tested rode my buddys two thousand and seven Suzuki RM-Z dirtcycle and hated it comparred to my two thousand and seven Yamaha YZtwofiftyeff dirtcycle. The Suz just handdled so terribly and sucked.

• onenastynotch

Posted January 21, 2008 - 08:33 PM

thats funny since all the magazines rated the 07 rmz the best handling 250f

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.