Buying a yz 426

10 replies to this topic
  • bax1135

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:05 PM

I just found a YZ 426 (01) like new. Any reason I should not buy this bike or watch out for.

• GENE426

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:07 PM

Nope
Here was mine 2002 426
Loved it went to a 450 for some reason Just cant remember

Posted Image

Posted Image

• bax1135

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:10 PM

Thanks-- so far I have heard nothing but good things about this bike

• 642MX

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:45 PM

I just found a YZ 426 (01) like new. Any reason I should not buy this bike or watch out for.

426's are great bikes. Just check the normal stuff (like: swing arm play, steering head, wheel bearings, ect, ect...)

• dave_k_714

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:58 PM

I have a 2002 426 and LOVE it!
I had a low compression cam mod and it is the easyist bike to start out of all my friends. Hot / cold it just kicks on the first two everytime.
Scotts has a top triple clamp for 60 bucks for it as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426 boy

Posted January 05, 2008 - 12:41 AM

Yea mate, you wont regret buying!! UNLESS !!

These bikes have a habit of bending shifter forks in the gearbox. When this happens, bad things happen!! And when i say bad things i mean bad things!! I bought one of these and rode and rode and rode. Bad choice. I was new to four strokes and kinda didnt think much of the oil filter. When id done bout 10 hours and ready to change the oil, i opened it all up and the filter was hidden somewhere under all those cute little metal shavings. The reason for this is because when a shifter fork bends it creates things like gears to rub and not engage fully. So the best advice i can give you is to look at the oil filter before you hand over the cash and test ride every gear on the road so you have all the traction you can so you can feel what must be felt. If it feels like its jumping in and out of gear then tell him its a great bike but your late for a meeting because you might repeat my mistake and spend at least $2500 on the gearbox alone.

• bax1135

Posted January 05, 2008 - 12:39 PM

Thanks fellas-- this was very helpful-- sounds like I need to make sure to change the oil regular -- I'm kinda new to the 4t myself.

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2008 - 01:36 PM

The shift forks bend because the locking dogs that engage and hold the gears in the various speeds wear, which allows the gears to force their way out of engagement, bending the fork. This occurs more because of sloppy shifting over time than because of anything having to do with oil. The oil nevertheless does need regular, and fairly frequent changes.

• BASSic

Posted January 05, 2008 - 10:10 PM

How do you check to see if the shift forks are starting to bend, and does this happen to all model years? I just picked up a 01 426. It runs great through all the gears, but the shifting is a little notchy. This was mostly because I wasnt pulling the clutch in all the way when I shifted. When I pull the clutch in all the way between shifts, its better however when putting it into gear from neutral it jumps forward a little as if the clutch isnt disengaging completely. Hopefully a new clutch and cable (on order) will fix this.

The previous owner came off a 125 smoker before he had this, and rode the 426 clutch the same way which stretched the cable (adjuster all the way out) and probably wore the clutch out prematurely.

Other than that, the 426 rips! The power is unbelievable!

• whyzee426F

Posted January 05, 2008 - 10:58 PM

How do you check to see if the shift forks are starting to bend, and does this happen to all model years? I just picked up a 01 426. It runs great through all the gears, but the shifting is a little notchy. This was mostly because I wasnt pulling the clutch in all the way when I shifted. When I pull the clutch in all the way between shifts, its better however when putting it into gear from neutral it jumps forward a little as if the clutch isnt disengaging completely. Hopefully a new clutch and cable (on order) will fix this.

The previous owner came off a 125 smoker before he had this, and rode the 426 clutch the same way which stretched the cable (adjuster all the way out) and probably wore the clutch out prematurely.

Other than that, the 426 rips! The power is unbelievable!

You don't need to clutch it when you up or down shift...:banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2008 - 12:51 AM

The first symptom of the problem will be when the bike starts skipping out of gear and back in again abruptly in one gear.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.