radiator fluid question

10 replies to this topic
  • nap__kxf

Posted January 04, 2008 - 06:50 PM

i put a set of those new blue radiator hoses on my bike (they look so badass) and like an idiot just about all of my radiator fluid spilled on the ground. that catch bucket didn't really catch anything.

but the oem fluid is in there and i went out and bought some coolanol and i read here on thumpertalk that you don't mix the orange fluid with the green stuff, but the oem fluid and this coolanal are both green.

so would it be ok to mix those two? or should i completely drain the oem fluid?

• MX1967

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:15 PM

Drain it all out & replace with new coolant. My 06 gets new coolant every year along with fresh brake fluid.

• nap__kxf

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:16 PM

i have an 07 which is basically the 06 so how do you completely drain it out? take off the water impeller cover or what?

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:12 PM

As they say, "RTFM".

Removing the lower water pump cover bolt (the one with the copper washer) while the radiator cap is off drains the entire cooling system. Pour a quart or so of water through the system to rinse it.

Don't depend on color to tell you anything, read the label. The issue is that ethylene glycol coolants and propylene glycol coolants should not be mixed.

• SXP

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:19 PM

As they say, "RTFM"

Now, now, Gray! Be nice:shocked:

:banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:26 PM

If I was trying to be harsh, I would have left it at that, and not provided the info, no? :banghead:

• SXP

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:30 PM

If I was trying to be harsh, I would have left it at that, and not provided the info, no? :banghead:

Actually, I was being facetious. Hence the :busted: I think you are way too tolerant/helpful of the questions asked here when people SHOULD be RTFM.

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:32 PM

Actually, I was being facetious.

I spotted that right away :banghead:

• nap__kxf

Posted January 04, 2008 - 10:34 PM

sorry i didn't think the manual would tell me whether or not it'd be ok to mix the different brands of coolant.

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2008 - 11:24 PM

Top of page 3-7, and in better English on the coolant label. The manual does also explain the draining procedure, too. :banghead:

• nap__kxf

Posted January 06, 2008 - 06:03 PM

Top of page 3-7, and in better English on the coolant label. The manual does also explain the draining procedure, too. :busted:

oh wow. i'm an idiot. theres a drain bolt, my god.

i need to keep this fangled manual out in the open so i can use it more often.

:banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.