Reed's '08 YZ450F

44 replies to this topic
  • 5valve

Posted January 05, 2008 - 04:35 AM

That rotor is made by Braking and is called the Bat Wing Rotor. I wanted to buy one until I found out it was $600.00! No kidding! I could get cost on it and it still would have cost me $450.00:worthy: All hail the factory teams!

much cheaper overseas, 250$

• Ga426owner

Posted January 05, 2008 - 06:30 AM

Tivo it up boys Mudfest #1.....what with 3 -10inches expected.....it is going to be a mess:naughty:

• rickallen124

Posted January 05, 2008 - 07:03 AM

It looks like Gibbs racing is running some different motor mount brackets. I wonder if they fabricated those themselves. Probably as I'm sure they have a in house machinist that could make anything. It would be interesting to know if they found some handling improvements by changing the flex of the motor mounts or if it's just for the trick factor.

• racer 813

Posted January 05, 2008 - 08:51 AM

All those trick parts and do I see a junk stock chain? (Reeds bike) Some-one tell me I'm trippin!

• yzfmerf

Posted January 05, 2008 - 09:35 AM

i guarantee that is not a stock chain!

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2008 - 10:18 AM

The pro teams run high grade, non-sealed chains. They also discard them after nearly every race day at least. Nothing like having a fat budget, eh?

• swatdoc

Posted January 05, 2008 - 12:46 PM

also - did everyone notice the OIL COOLER on Chad's bike. apparently Yamaha doesn't think they're such a worthless, waste of time!

• Ga426owner

Posted January 05, 2008 - 01:08 PM

also - did everyone notice the OIL COOLER on Chad's bike. apparently Yamaha doesn't think they're such a worthless, waste of time!

I guess not since GLs bike has one also. They are built into the lower radiator and supposedly the other radiator is from a WR:thumbsup:

Notice also that they are Wetsump motors also with trick ProCircuit oil pumps

• bosshogg

Posted January 05, 2008 - 01:40 PM

All those trick parts and do I see a junk stock chain? (Reeds bike) Some-one tell me I'm trippin!

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking. It sure looks like the stock POS to me.

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2008 - 01:46 PM

Notice also that they are Wetsump motors also with trick ProCircuit oil pumps

That's why they have the coolers. The bike probably only has a total of 6-700cc of oil on board for the combined engine and trans. That's also the reason there is no external pressure balance hose on Grant's bike as noted ealier; with a wey sump, it isn't needed.

On the old bikes, there was an arguable reason for this, because it moved the weight of the oil supply to a much lower point. What the significant advantage is supposed to be over the tank-in-engine layout of the '06+, I have no idea, particularly when you then need to add back an oil cooler to the system you lightened by removing the return pump. If less oil was what they wanted, with a dry sump, they could have just run less, it seems to me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swatdoc

Posted January 05, 2008 - 04:39 PM

Gray - how do you think they're doing the wet sump on the 450's? I would think it'd be a lot easier on the 250's with an external oil tank that could be eliminated; but the 450's as we all know are all internal to begin with???

Ga - I called Pro Circuit and they said they will NOT be making those oil pumps available to the public :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2008 - 12:03 AM

Gray - how do you think they're doing the wet sump on the 450's? I would think it'd be a lot easier on the 250's with an external oil tank that could be eliminated; but the 450's as we all know are all internal to begin with???

The same thing exactly needs to be done in either case. The return pump is removed and plate separating the two oil pumps is replaced with one that allows the feed pump to pick up oil from the sump screen. The thing that is easier on the old bikes is that the passages that lead from the original feed source and to the original return passage have to be blocked off. That's easy on the old setup, because all you need is what amounts to a pair of oil line end fittings with the lines cut off and plugged. They bolt on the outside.

The new return passage wouldn't be too hard. Just pull the ignition cover and push a ball into the return passage. The original feed passage is another matter. You have to split the cases to get at it.

• SUnruh

Posted January 06, 2008 - 11:10 AM

i'm pretty sure those cases were split a LOOOONG time ago and all mods done at that point :banghead:

• honda597

Posted January 07, 2008 - 01:12 AM

I have a question about the AKRAPOVIC exhaust. Are they available to the general public or something similar .
Looks trick as.

• rickallen124

Posted January 07, 2008 - 06:56 AM

Yes akrapovic pipes are available to the general public through parts unlimited I believe. Now as far as the factory pipe who knows as they get their own spec pipes sometimes.

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2008 - 08:17 AM

i'm pretty sure those cases were split a LOOOONG time ago and all mods done at that point :banghead:

I'm sure you're right. The question was about how the mod would be possible, and the relative ease compared to the external tanked models.

It later occurred to me that one can actually block the original feed passage at the joint of the oil pump to the crankcase from the outside (under the primary side cover) without splitting the cases.

• ECEAracer

Posted January 07, 2008 - 08:29 AM

Are those Mag Ignition Covers available to the public or is that one of those one off Factory Yamaha kind of things?

• KJ790

Posted January 07, 2008 - 06:19 PM

I don't think Reed and Langston were running oil coolers. Notice that there are no oil lines coming out of the bottom of the radiator on Reed's bike, and the oil filter cover is stok on both Reed and Langston's bikes (I checked pics from this weekend on other sites). It looks like the 250Fs were the only ones running oil coolers.

• twenty34

Posted January 07, 2008 - 07:48 PM

I have a question about the AKRAPOVIC exhaust. Are they available to the general public or something similar .
Looks trick as.

Interesting when you look at all the bikes - Blue, Green, Red, Yellow and Orange and all the different aftermarket pipes that are used. Even more interesting how popular Dr.D pipes are here with TT riders on this forum, yet you never see one used by a pro? Man, those YZ's looks pretty trick!

Don't kill me, I ride with Dr. D's - Both Red and Blue.

Sorry, I notice the weirdest things as a general rule.:banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2008 - 09:07 PM

...I notice the weirdest things as a general rule.:banghead:

'Supposed to be a mark of intelligence, they tell me.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.