YZ 450F stock exhaust fix???

15 replies to this topic
  • 201fastguy

Posted January 04, 2008 - 01:27 PM

Has anyone tried modifying the stock silencer instead of buying a new system?

• lavens763

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:30 PM

guy, not sure what year 450 your talking about, but if it's the '08 the best and maybe the cheapest is to find a guy with a stock '07 silencer, cut three inches off of it and mount it to the '08 midpipe. I had mine laying around from the '07 season and decided to try it on the new one and wow, talk about a choked up '08 silencer! It is like night and day difference. Hope this helps and hope you find a guy with an '07 laying around...tell him you'll trade him the '08 silencer that'll still fit on his '07 because after you ride it, you'll completely forget about the coolness factor of the shorter one and the fact that it totally sucks. Have fun!:banghead:

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted January 04, 2008 - 09:24 PM

can you cut 3 inches off the 07 silencer?

• 201fastguy

Posted January 05, 2008 - 01:00 AM

Yes it is a 08. I tried slipping on my freinds 06 silencer but the header pipe on my 08 is larger than his opening on his 06 silencer. Why did you cut off 3" was it for performance or to make it fit?

Thanks

• lavens763

Posted January 05, 2008 - 09:13 AM

I cut off three inches so I could get a little more low end since the '07 didn't have really any and I hadn't gotten my pro-circuit yet. It seemed to help a bit without taking away from the rest of the power. But, no you don't have to cut anything off to make it fit the '08, it'll bolt up no problem like it is to the stock '08 system and not to mention work a heck of lot better!:banghead:

• lavens763

Posted January 05, 2008 - 09:15 AM

oops...all you need is the '07 silencer, you don't want to change out the whole system since the '08 has a bigger diameter head and mid pipe that works better than the '07...just the silencer. Hope this helps!

• Ga426owner

Posted January 05, 2008 - 12:49 PM

Stop trashing all the stock pipes...there is no benefit cutting, hacking or modifying stock pipes period.....you are better off holding on to them until sale, selling on ebay, using as a replacement....but once they are hacked up they are totally worthless:excuseme:

• 201fastguy

Posted January 05, 2008 - 01:02 PM

Yes this helps I want to get a DR.D but finding the cash right now is hard and the boss is watching me since she knows I hate this stock pipe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lavens763

Posted January 05, 2008 - 04:14 PM

201 fastguy: Your'e right up in Michigan I see. What area are you from? Let me know what you find, or don't find and I'll see what I can find for you around here in Illinois for you and I can ship it ya if that helps. Good luck.

• 201fastguy

Posted January 05, 2008 - 06:57 PM

Cadillac, Michigan. There is a 07 on Ebay that I might pick up. My local parts guy says that the DR.D pipe is not out yet but I think that is wrong DR. D says for me to buy his 06 unit for my bike. I can pick up a full system for $400 doesnt seem to bad.

• erickdj

Posted January 05, 2008 - 10:14 PM

Yes it is a 08. I tried slipping on my freinds 06 silencer but the header pipe on my 08 is larger than his opening on his 06 silencer. Why did you cut off 3" was it for performance or to make it fit?

Thanks

He's correct, the 06 & 07 mufflers won't bolt up to the 08 header. In order to use the 06 or 07 muffler, you gotta use the older header as well. I tried this already, an older muffler won't slip into the 08 header without changing the exhaust gasket and doing some bending/stretching on the midpipe, just not worth the hassle unless you have the older header to go with it.

• lavens763

Posted January 05, 2008 - 11:01 PM

well guys..sorry if I misled you on the fitment...but i know that i have an '07 silencer on an '08...so mine must be one of the "special" one off bikes or something from Japan that doesn't require any mods to make it fit.

• 201fastguy

Posted March 16, 2008 - 01:02 PM

I did pick up the 07 silencer for my bike and it made a huge differance down low since it was pretty dead with the stock system. I was down racing in Florida and some guy crashed into me and folded up my header pipe so Im going to get a Dr.D full system. But the 07 silencer did work for a cheap quick fix. Thanks for all the help.

• salasmauricio

Posted March 17, 2008 - 02:28 PM

He's correct, the 06 & 07 mufflers won't bolt up to the 08 header. In order to use the 06 or 07 muffler, you gotta use the older header as well. I tried this already, an older muffler won't slip into the 08 header without changing the exhaust gasket and doing some bending/stretching on the midpipe, just not worth the hassle unless you have the older header to go with it.

Sorry but I disagree, I have an 08 header and an 07 Muffler, and I didn`t have to do anything to mount it right up. They work perfect, the bike improved a lot.

• grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2008 - 02:35 PM

First, the info Mauricio has may not be applicable to US models (although it might), as it's not clear whether he has the same pipe as the US models have had. The systems do vary among models for different countries.

Second, the '06 and '07 header outlets are two different sizes, and I forget which one is the same as the '08, but one of them is. The inlets of all 3 mid pipes, however, is the same, so all you need to do is get the seal from the appropriate year and you can use any of these 3 pipes/headers in any combination.

• salasmauricio

Posted March 17, 2008 - 03:02 PM

Yep, that's right greyracer, we In Colombia, get the bikes directly from Japan, as for other south american countries like Argentina gets them from Europe, watching your pics I believe we get the same configuration.
Just for you to know, mine came stock with the "shorty muffler" and the header is titanium.

For what I've seen the header outlets from 07 and 08 are the same.

Cheers

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.