2008 YZ450F upgrade to NGK Iridium Plug

18 replies to this topic
  • Wes Woodin

Posted January 04, 2008 - 06:56 AM

I just bought 4 iridium plugs for my 08 YZ450f and they are not the right size. The dealer told me they were. The stock plug is a NGK CR8E. I need to get iridium plug that replaces these plugs. Does anyone know? Thanks:confused:

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 04, 2008 - 06:59 AM

Oh yeah the plug that they gave me was a CR8HIX. (Stock#7669) The electrode is about 1/4 inch too short. The overall plug is roughly 3/8Inch shorter.
I think it is a CR8EIX but on the application chart it only goes to 2005

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:02 AM

I just bought 4 iridium plugs for my 08 YZ450f and they are not the right size. The dealer told me they were. The stock plug is a NGK CR8E. I need to get iridium plug that replaces these plugs. Does anyone knowOh yeah the plug that they gave me was a CR8HIX. (Stock#7669) The electrode is about 1/4 inch too short. The overall plug is roughly 3/8Inch shorter.
I think it is a CR8EIX but on the application chart it only goes to 2005:excuseme: Thanks

• Ga426owner

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:28 AM

I found no benefit to Iridium plugs on both of my bikes. They cost more and add nothing than is even remotely noticeable except making my wallet lighter,So I just use the CR8E.

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:43 AM

the CR8EIX is the iridium replacement for a CR8E. The two new plugs I have here are as identical as they can be, other than the center electrodes, of course.

Posted Image

• Ga426owner

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:50 AM

the CR8EIX is the iridium replacement for a CR8E. The two new plugs I have here are as identical as they can be, other than the center electrodes, of course.

Posted Image

grey have you noticed any benefit to the Iridium plug? The only thing I noticed is that they seemed to wear out faster than the reg plug.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:05 AM

Posted Image

On the NGK Web-site they have a statement that says," All plugs with blue is a resistor plug". The iridium plug is black. Is the iridium plug a resistor plug?

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:05 AM

grey have you noticed any benefit to the Iridium plug? The only thing I noticed is that they seemed to wear out faster than the reg plug.

GA, do you not have any problems with the electrical or timing with the red plugs that are not resistor?

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:07 AM

I found no benefit to Iridium plugs on both of my bikes. They cost more and add nothing than is even remotely noticeable except making my wallet lighter,So I just use the CR8E.

I'm buying mine for $6 bucks. I heard that it is a little better. Of course thats rumor. Better starting when hot.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Speedracer42

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:09 AM

IIRC the irridium plug is the EIX. The chart is likely just not up to date. I think the CR8EIX is what I run in my KXF too.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:12 AM

IIRC the irridium plug is the EIX. The chart is likely just not up to date. I think the CR8EIX is what I run in my KXF too.

I found out and your right!!!:banghead: Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:15 AM

No difference that I've noticed, either in wear or performance. The ignition in the YZ450 is pretty far above "adequate", so the advantages may not be that apparent. I got them to try because they were cheap at the time.

On the NGK Web-site they have a statement that says," All plugs with blue is a resistor plug". The iridium plug is black. Is the iridium plug a resistor plug?

The letter "R" in the size range indicates a resistor plug. Not using a resistor plug is risky because of the potential for ignition problems caused by EMI. You wouldn't want to see the results of a random stray spark or two that happened at 60-80 degrees BTDC at full throttle at 10,000.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:26 AM

No difference that I've noticed, either in wear or performance. The ignition in the YZ450 is pretty far above "adequate", so the advantages may not be that apparent. I got them to try because they were cheap at the time.

The letter "R" in the size range indicates a resistor plug. Not using a resistor plug is risky because of the potential for ignition problems caused by EMI. You wouldn't want to see the results of a random stray spark or two that happened at 60-80 degrees BTDC at full throttle at 10,000.

SO CR R being resistor?

• o B A I N o

Posted January 04, 2008 - 10:00 AM

Is this the plug that cost 20 bucks? I just recently bought one for my crf450 aand the guys was like that is 20 dollars and my jaw just dropped open. So I told him 1 sec i need to go to the car for more money.

• runester

Posted January 04, 2008 - 10:31 AM

Try pep boys...I get all my plugs there...I dont use the iridium but they sell the eix and hix line, there 4 bucks a pop.

• srfdwg2

Posted January 04, 2008 - 01:40 PM

Discount seels them for 8 bucks a pop.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 04, 2008 - 06:54 PM

Is this the plug that cost 20 bucks? I just recently bought one for my crf450 aand the guys was like that is 20 dollars and my jaw just dropped open. So I told him 1 sec i need to go to the car for more money.

I got mine for around 6 bucks!:banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2008 - 06:57 PM

Yes. The C is the thread size, and the E is the reach.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 08, 2008 - 12:31 PM

The plug: cr8eix works great! NGK classifies this plug as a Premium plug. Is there an ultimate classification plug for the 450F's? Just curious.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.