Broken Baja Designs Switch

14 replies to this topic
  • abby

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:00 AM

I have a Baja Designs kit on my XRR.

The plastic slider-cover part for the on/off switch on the handlebar control (not so) mysteriously disappeared on my last ride. It is this piece here:

Posted Image

This more readily exposes the guts of the switch to crud/water. Rather than replace the whole switch unit for $60.00 +, I was trying to find if I could just get the missing cover piece (the stem holding it doesn't look busted), but not having luck. I can't get just that piece from Baja Designs.

I read somewhere this switch was made by K&S (and it looks freakishly similar), but K&S tell me Baja Designs uses "their own" switch.

Anybody know where/if you can get just this part?

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:07 AM

No, but my BD switch exactly like that croaked the high beam side of itself about 20 days after I bought it...those switches may just be kinda crappy quality. I have heard a few other guys say they dont last...

• Coolidge

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:38 AM

:banghead: My turnsignal switch (not relay) has already quit on my 6 mo old B.D. kit
No more blinkers

• tgstoken

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:49 AM

Sounds like you guys need to buy some Honda OEM XR650L switch assemblies. They should fit and god knows they work forever. Mine is a '93 and my turn signal switch assembly is original. It just recently stopped working and I thought it was toast, however, a quick blast of electric motor spray and a little oil got it working perfectly again.

• Old-Man

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:54 AM

I'm wondering if you guys have called BD about this issue. They seem to back the products real well.

• abby

Posted January 04, 2008 - 09:04 AM

I would suspect either of your switches (first two replies) are not truly broken, probably just need contacts cleaned up.

This is a pretty harsh environment if you ride seriously offroad. I am not questioning the quality of the switch, I just want to know if I can get this part. It is my fault it broke, I would have probably broken that same piece on anyone's switch the day I broke it. I was poking fun at myself when I said mysteriously (I edited the post to not mislead).

I did call BD and I was told I can't get just that part from them. But I don't expect them to give me a whole new switch for something that wasn't their fault.

• LeadDoggy

Posted January 04, 2008 - 11:50 AM

I have never had problems with my BD kit. Everything still works GREAT until I busted off the Turn Signal little plastic thingy, but signals still work......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted January 04, 2008 - 12:19 PM

Sounds like you guys need to buy some Honda OEM XR650L switch assemblies. They should fit and god knows they work forever. Mine is a '93 and my turn signal switch assembly is original. It just recently stopped working and I thought it was toast, however, a quick blast of electric motor spray and a little oil got it working perfectly again.

+1... a good high quality unit.

• Old-Man

Posted January 04, 2008 - 01:32 PM

I have never had problems with my BD kit. Everything still works GREAT until I busted off the Turn Signal little plastic thingy, but signals still work......

You know you can just order that part without replacing the whole turn signal right? I broke mine after crashing in Baja. I was going to take them off before going, but I didn't. :banghead:

• Coolidge

Posted January 04, 2008 - 03:27 PM

I would suspect either of your switches (first two replies) are not truly broken, probably just need contacts cleaned up.

This is a pretty harsh environment if you ride seriously offroad. I am not questioning the quality of the switch, I just want to know if I can get this part. It is my fault it broke, I would have probably broken that same piece on anyone's switch the day I broke it. I was poking fun at myself when I said mysteriously (I edited the post to not mislead).

I did call BD and I was told I can't get just that part from them. But I don't expect them to give me a whole new switch for something that wasn't their fault.

...agreed, When I 1st checked my switch out it was full of silt and Im sure hot/cold weather cycles, along w/moisture = No working switch. Ive been too lazy to take it apart and clean again. If that doesnt work, I'll call BD. They have been helpfull in the past

• LeadDoggy

Posted January 04, 2008 - 06:01 PM

You know you can just order that part without replacing the whole turn signal right? I broke mine after crashing in Baja. I was going to take them off before going, but I didn't. :banghead:

Saw the part on website a couple of months ago, but was not able to find it just a bit ago. Will have to give them a call.....

• abby

Posted January 10, 2008 - 06:05 PM

Talked to one of the guys at BD today, they are sending me a replacement switch cover and post for $12.00. Just had to talk to the right guy......

• pwrpapa

Posted January 10, 2008 - 06:15 PM

+1... a good high quality unit.

Same here, all oem parts if available. X2

• Old-Man

Posted January 11, 2008 - 07:24 AM

Talked to one of the guys at BD today, they are sending me a replacement switch cover and post for $12.00. Just had to talk to the right guy......

:ride: :D BD has some great customer ervice if you ask me..... :banghead: :busted:

• abby

Posted January 11, 2008 - 08:36 AM

:ride: :D BD has some great customer ervice if you ask me..... :banghead: :busted:

I will agree with that.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.