Idiot's guide to valve adjustment?

8 replies to this topic
  • dazzabb

Posted January 04, 2008 - 01:16 AM

I did a terrible thing today and galnced at the CRF's only site, where there is a great idiots guide with photo's on how to check valve clearance and re-shim.

Just wondering if any of you extremely intelligent regular visitors to this forum had put one together for the WR?

I did a search but it seems I'm no better at searching than I am at re-shimming!

• matt4x4

Posted January 04, 2008 - 05:43 AM

How about the Yamaha Manual - can't really go wrong with that since everything including the shim spec tables are included and you can download the WHOLE manual from Yamaha of Australia.
http://www.yamahaown...om.au/index.php

Have fun!

• clark4131

Posted January 04, 2008 - 06:22 AM

I second the manual. It's only complicated in theory. I was very intimidated the first time I did it, but it was a snap. Just make sure you have a set of good torque wrenches in inch AND foot pounds. I also found that a 1/4" universal joint makes life much easier too. The only tricky parts are one, making sure the half-moon clips under the cam caps don't fall inside the motor during removal, and two, realigning the cams properly when reinstalling which can take more than a couple of tries. Thankfully, the valve adjustment typically only happens one time after break in, and then they stay in spec for a LONG time. But, I do think an "Idiot's Guide" would be great...Now you have a project! :banghead:...SC

• matt4x4

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:22 AM

I believe the manual actually mentions something about placing a rag or something over/in the timing chain hole to avoid that specific issue - from what I hear, it's less complicated than greasing the swingarm/linkage bearings.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:44 AM

Like Clark says the manual is pretty fool proof, however I will offer one bit of advice for people new to the process. When you remove the buckets , make damn sure they go back to the same valve they were on in the first place and write down the value of the shims as they come out in the order of the valve they accompanied. That way when you compare them to the chart you can easily do the math and figure out which shims you need to correct the adjustment. Regular maintenance with quality oils will make this a one time adjustment in most cases. Good luck and work slowly and carefully. -- WR Dave.

• chrispy1202

Posted January 04, 2008 - 10:45 PM

Make sure that the circlips are in the correct place before you put the valve cover back on. I have checked my clearances 3 times now, and this last time i did it, the one clip looked like it was in correct place but wasn't. Now i am educating myself on engine teardown and rebuilding. Wish i was out making use of the studded tires instead. I think you only make this error once, i hope. Re-check the clearances once you have reshimmed if it was needed. "Measure twice cut once."
Chris

• rich1167

Posted January 05, 2008 - 12:18 PM

Once your timming marks are set and the valve cover is removed. Before you start taking things apart. Take a few good pics with a digital camera. It really helps in getting things back in their proper position.

• jbrooks26

Posted January 05, 2008 - 02:04 PM

I believe the manual actually mentions something about placing a rag or something over/in the timing chain hole to avoid that specific issue - from what I hear, it's less complicated than greasing the swingarm/linkage bearings.

This is true, but there is another place that the circlips can get into the case. Don't assume that you are good to go just because you have stuffed a rag into this void. There is a bolt hole that goes all the way into the case, I dropped one of my clips down this hole and spent half the day retrieving it. Hope this helps.

Josh

• byggd

Posted January 06, 2008 - 09:10 AM

As others have said, buy or download the manual you will need it as you do wrenching on other areas of you bike. This link may help you as well.....
http://www.thumperfaq.com/valves.htm

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.